• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

NCO ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Now we all know NCOs are kind of important for the morale of soldiers in a war. A good NCO can inspire his men to stand steady against impossible odds, and keep discipline even when casualties are mounting.

In FPS games NCOs usually do get some perks (like being able to call in artillery strikes, different kit loadouts - usually including a sidearm, acting as spawn points and having cool hats ;)). While on the other hand NCOs in RTS games usually have some perks that enable them to temporary "buff" their subordinates by power-ups or similar, and I find that really cool (although not exactly realistic).

Hovewer, it would be cool if having (and losing too) an NCO actually meant something to the people in his squad (sure, he might be your best friend IRL and you're kinda sad when you see that Jerry put a bullet through his head, but as he'll be back a few moments later it doesn't mean that much to you).

What do you guys think of having NCOs provide some kind of buffs to his squadmates (and also penalties when he dies)? He could have some way to rally up people, breaking suppression for a short moment, or order everyone on the double and buff running speed for a while (thus enabling a lightning-fast bayonet charge of enemy position, for example). I feel this would be an interesting thing to have in a game. While not entirely realistic it could provide some simulation of good leadership, and using his abilities at the right moment could enable better performance of his squad on the battlefield.

I feel RO2 got some nice and similar ideas regarding the matter but they were never that noticeable in the actual game...

Feldmeijer

Now we all know NCOs are kind of important for the morale of soldiers in a war. A good NCO can inspire his men to stand steady against impossible odds, and keep discipline even when casualties are mounting.

In FPS games NCOs usually do get some perks (like being able to call in artillery strikes, different kit loadouts - usually including a sidearm, acting as spawn points and having cool hats ;)). While on the other hand NCOs in RTS games usually have some perks that enable them to temporary "buff" their subordinates by power-ups or similar, and I find that really cool (although not exactly realistic).

Hovewer, it would be cool if having (and losing too) an NCO actually meant something to the people in his squad (sure, he might be your best friend IRL and you're kinda sad when you see that Jerry put a bullet through his head, but as he'll be back a few moments later it doesn't mean that much to you).

What do you guys think of having NCOs provide some kind of buffs to his squadmates (and also penalties when he dies)? He could have some way to rally up people, breaking suppression for a short moment, or order everyone on the double and buff running speed for a while (thus enabling a lightning-fast bayonet charge of enemy position, for example). I feel this would be an interesting thing to have in a game. While not entirely realistic it could provide some simulation of good leadership, and using his abilities at the right moment could enable better performance of his squad on the battlefield.

I feel RO2 got some nice and similar ideas regarding the matter but they were never that noticeable in the actual game...

Because officers were able to make their soldiers run faster using special abilities, right??

But in all seriousness; I get your point.

I think there would have to be some system, for all soldiers, that would make soldiers try not to die and truly savour their lives. Maybe a limited number of lives, but it'd have to find some way to not feel like an inconvienence.

Some NCO specific features to make him both a priority target as well as something important to his forces would be great though. Maybe only he can communicate with other squads, but I don't think it should be weapon based unless it's fitting of the NCO role. I think the communication system in general would play a big role as to how the NCO role is treated though. In the Project Reality mod at least, NCOs are treated fairly importantly, but even then a medic just pops them up and after a minute of bandaging they're fine. Being able to place spawn points outside a certain range from objectives would be neat too though.

Koenigstiger

I could agree on slight buffs like reloading or running a little faster

I mean it'd be realistic to an extent I'm sure an NCO screaming in your ear to hurry and load your weapon would probably speed you up.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Doesen't have to be like COD slight of hand reload, but something noticably faster, but still realistic.

Slider

Heyho (my first post here),

an interesting idea could be the "mark an enemy/ a position".
An NCO is often times responsible to direct the fire of his squad, being able to mark a position or an enemy soldier he sees, this could be achieved.
This might look at the first sight a bit look like CoD, but in fact, thats his job.

How to prevent misuse?
Make him only able to mark targets every 3 seconds with a maximum of 3 targets, and he has to directly aim at the targets.

The marked targets will only be able to be seen by his squad, other NCOs and maybe an Officer.

sincerely
Slider

Slider

I'm not quite sure how it works in RO-2, haven't played it for a while (I came from RO-1 and was a bit disappointed by RO-2, thus explained my low hours on that game).

Sincerely

Status
Not open for further replies.