• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to ask...
[MENTION=1109]Roughbeak[/MENTION], how's the laptop doing? Is it good? Any positive and/or negative criticisms? Are you happy with it?

Roughbeak

Yeah, I am mostly satisfied with it. I had to do a bunch of hardware updates and changes to resolve some sound issues. In contrast, the looks of this Dell 7559 are still to this day very nice.

If I had the choice I would have definitely gotten the i7-6700hq instead of the i5-6300hq. Also, the GTX 960m is really showing age especially with newer titles. There are several (very) newer laptops now with an upgraded graphic card (1050 & ti version) which I would recommend if you are on a budget. Plus these laptops that have the 1050ti more often than not have a very nice processor upgrades than before (i5-7300hq & i7-7700hq).

If was to buy a laptop again, ideally it would be the GTX 1060, because it is a sweet spot if you're gaming on 1080p. The stock laptops that have this are a bit more pricey than the 1050ti models, but definitely worth it IMO.

Cheers! :)

Roughbeak

I just found this:
ASUS FX502VM-AH51 Gaming Laptop Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6300HQ (2.30 GHz) 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB GDDR5 15.6" Full HD 1920 x 1080 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit-Newegg.com

It has a GTX 1060 (3gb Vram), 16gb RAM, and now is selling for just $999! Some of the negatives I see is that, the screen might get a little washed if you look at it in different angles (hence, no IPS panel) and second, it just has an i5 processor. I think it comes with an M.2 SSD slot, so that's cool.

Despite the i5, combined with GTX 1060, it can easily run games like Battlefield 1 on high-ultra 60+ frames in 1080p (I think even on "just" high, you can get 100 frames...). So if you're a gamer you wants some solid performance, look no further. ;)

Roughbeak

Last edited:

Roughbeak

Despite the price, I'd probably still opt for the i7 + SSD one...

The i7-7700HQ looks like a beast compared the its predecessor (i7-6700HQ).

Aniallator

Despite the price, I'd probably still opt for the i7 + SSD one...

The i7-7700HQ looks like a beast compared the its predecessor (i7-6700HQ).

I would as well, just for the i7... the SSD is certainly an added bonus though. Games like Arma or Squad that I play put a lot of emphasis on the processor, so it's well worth the extra dough IMO.

Roughbeak

I'm curious though, the PC buffs out there, how much of a difference would the i7 vs i5 be in terms of gaming?

On my Dell 7559 + i5-6300hq + 960m, I've noticed games like Miscreated, I have a 100% cpu load in my task manager even on low settings (but 50-60 frames, regardless)... I get fps drops every minute or so. Is this the cpu or gpu struggling? Thanks.

This is why I'm so intent on getting the best possible, I guess (the i7+SSD model). ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.