• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #49: Eighty Eight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esu21

Spanish Civil War mention,yayyyy!!! When I say this project is incredible;I can check everyday that I'm right! THe most of the people just forgot that Spain exists and that we were even in WW2 (well,the official Spain was neutral but helped Germany many times,like sending the Blue Division or "Division Azul" to the russian campaign and on the other hand La Nueve;first allied corp to enter in Paris had a majority of exiled spanish republicans,but in all the history books appears as french free forces -.-)

Sorry for the long speech;but I love that you devs do mentions like this is such amazing updates.

Also;the Flak is just amazing and I can say Im prepared to ride it in the next Chapters xD

Mancom37

Vanguard Friend
Spanish Civil War mention,yayyyy!!! When I say this project is incredible;I can check everyday that I'm right! THe most of the people just forgot that Spain exists and that we were even in WW2 (well,the official Spain was neutral but helped Germany many times,like sending the Blue Division or "Division Azul" to the russian campaign and on the other hand La Nueve;first allied corp to enter in Paris had a majority of exiled spanish republicans,but in all the history books appears as french free forces -.-)

Sorry for the long speech;but I love that you devs do mentions like this is such amazing updates.

Also;the Flak is just amazing and I can say Im prepared to ride it in the next Chapters xD

Can t forget about us too!We went with you along the division azul I think we even had a special guerrilla soldiers,hell iberian brothers march toghether to the fight!

Plus we lend some islands on the atlantic to the british and the north americans and we got out clean :p

steffenbk1

this is different from pak 43?

The 88mm flak was originally a AA weapon. But their AT wapons on the eastern front was not effective enough to penetrate Russian tank armor. So they figured out that the 88 was actually very effective to take out tanks at long range. And the pak 43 is really just a upgraded pak 40

siben

Yes. The Flak 36 is a multi-purpose weapon (AT/AA), and on a completely different carriage, as well as a shorter barrel length and differences. The Pak43 is essentially just an 88mm anti-tank gun, the only similarities are in caliber and round used.

I don't fully agree. people are to general about the german 88. just because the calibre is 88mm does not mean it can use the same projectile. For ecample you can not use the amunition from the Flak 36 and put it in a Pak 43, it will never fit! the Pak 43 had a completely different round. much more powerfull. Same with tiger tanks, the tiger 1 tanks uses different ammunition then a tiger 2 tank, even though both have an 88mm gun.

Canons that fire the 88x571R cartridge are the Flak 18 (first and second model) Flak 36, KwK 36, Flak 37

Now, canons that shoot the 88x822R cartridge are the Gerät 42, Pak43 +modifications and KwK43

The 2 cartridges on the right are pictures of the 2 different 88mm shells the germans used.

panzer amunition.jpg

VonMudra

Oh, yes, that is quite true. I was merely trying to point out that about the only similarity is the caliber and shell, but stated it kinda messily. Yes, the Pak43 does use the longer casing, and therefore is much higher velocity and higher penetration than the Flak 36.

The 88mm flak was originally a AA weapon. But their AT wapons on the eastern front was not effective enough to penetrate Russian tank armor. So they figured out that the 88 was actually very effective to take out tanks at long range.

Very incorrect. The Flak36 was being used as an effective AT weapon as early as the Spanish Civil War in 1936/1937, and was continued to be used as such throughout the early years of WW2. Also, the Pak36 was fully capable of knocking out approx ~91% of all Russian tanks used in 1941 at well over 1000m. It was only the T-34 and KV-1/2 that the Pak36 couldn't effectively handle, and both of those were exceedingly rare in 1941. Of 23295 Soviet tanks in service, just 957 were T-34, and another 530 KV-1 and 2.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/the-door-knocker/

Last edited:

Aristle

Very interesting. I've never seen the Flak 36 separated from the Tiger before. Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to provide images of the source where you modeled it from.

VonMudra

We used multiple schematic drawings, as well as original photo references. The Flak36 was an exceedingly common artillery piece, so there are tons of references on the web. :p

Zainab

Hello everyone, I am new to this game website and i really loved it already:). I really hope that this game will be out soon.

Regards,
Zainab.

Ghroznak

this is different from pak 43?

Germans used 3 different definitions for their cannons which only defines what type of carriage is used.

E.g. you might see the 8.8cm cannon listed as PaK, FlaK and KwK. This simply means;

PanzerabwehrKanonen - meaning Tank-Defense-Cannon, or Anti-Tank Cannon.
FlugzeugabwehrKanonen - meaning Aircraft-Defense-Cannon, or Anti-Air Cannon.
KampfwagenKanonen - meaning Battle-vehicle-Cannon, or Tank Cannon.

The 8.8cm FlaK 36 was the same cannon, known as 8.8cm KwK 36 L/56, used on the Tiger I. However, since it was mounted in a tank, it was no longer a FlaK but a KwK. The gun was still the same one.

Sidenote, the L/56 is an indicator for the length of the cannon barrel. In case of the L/56 the length of the barrel is 56 x inside diameter (caliber) of the cannon, so 56 x 8.8cm = 492,8cm, or 4 meter and 92,8cm long.

Hope this was informative :)

Aniallator

Germans used 3 different definitions for their cannons which only defines what type of carriage is used.

E.g. you might see the 8.8cm cannon listed as PaK, FlaK and KwK. This simply means;

PanzerabwehrKanonen - meaning Tank-Defense-Cannon, or Anti-Tank Cannon.
FlugzeugabwehrKanonen - meaning Aircraft-Defense-Cannon, or Anti-Air Cannon.
KampfwagenKanonen - meaning Battle-vehicle-Cannon, or Tank Cannon.

The 8.8cm FlaK 36 was the same cannon, known as 8.8cm KwK 36 L/56, used on the Tiger I. However, since it was mounted in a tank, it was no longer a FlaK but a KwK. The gun was still the same one.

Sidenote, the L/56 is an indicator for the length of the cannon barrel. In case of the L/56 the length of the barrel is 56 x inside diameter (caliber) of the cannon, so 56 x 8.8cm = 492,8cm, or 4 meter and 92,8cm long.

Hope this was informative :)

Well put!

siben

All i can say is the barrel and ammunition was the same, everything behind it was different. Look at pictures of the flak and tiger 1 gun, you will notice a complete lack of recoil buffer. also the method to mount it wasn't the same.

Zainab

Thank you for welcoming me and giving me the likes. I hope , I can also help this game in many ways.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.