• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #56: Road to OVERLORD (Part 3/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I'm guessing that the gray area is an area that we are not allowed to go into, but why not? I would prefer to have an open map so that there are many tactics to be employed to get the flag rather than limited space :/

We are still keen to increase the player cap beyond 32 players in the future and so we have designed our maps such that they can be expanded to support more players if and when we increase the player cap in a future chapter.
- From Part 2 of the Road to OVERLORD-series

And have a look at the minimap again, lots of details in the grey area *wink*

We're taking precautions so no worries!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm guessing that the gray area is an area that we are not allowed to go into, but why not? I would prefer to have an open map so that there are many tactics to be employed to get the flag rather than limited space :/

As we said in the update, the version of Pegasus shown is a mini version we've used in small scale testing. The 32 players map isn't the same.

FlyingR

[MENTION=109]Maniche[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION], ah indeed! God, it looks so good guys! It is like PR, but you've taken the best of it!

Aristle

Like Project Reality, to say the least. It's not bad, but it gets PR players accustomed quickly. However, I was wondering if there was any consideration about allowing the NCO to assign roles. I think it would be a great feature that can be implemented as an option. Another question I have is if there is a maximum number of sections available. It was probably missed in the article, but it would be nice to know because, of course, if everyone had a squad, everyone would be able to choose the role of their liking. Thanks for everything.

Last edited:

Esu21

if everyone had a squad, everyone would be able to choose the role of their liking. Thanks for everything.

I dont think that if there are 32 players your team would be able to have 12 sections with one player each. Anyway,one section composed by 1 man won't have the same class possibilitys as a full or near-full section. For example,you would need 6 or 7 men in your section to have a marksman

FlyingR

But I hope that there are restrictions or a penalty for a player that joins an almost full squad, grabs a kit and either leaves the section, changes sections or creates a new one. I can imagine a player joining Section 1, grabbing sniper kit, then switching to Section 2 who already have a sniper kit.

Also, will the section leader be able to use its features without the section leader kit? For example, grabbing a rifleman kit and drop a rally point?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
But I hope that there are restrictions or a penalty for a player that joins an almost full squad, grabs a kit and either leaves the section, changes sections or creates a new one. I can imagine a player joining Section 1, grabbing sniper kit, then switching to Section 2 who already have a sniper kit.

That simply won't be possible. The roles are roles within the section, you can't take your role from one section to another.

Part of the reason we are giving players some flexibility in the role they have within the section is so players won't be prone to section switching.

We want to encourage players to stay part of the same group, get to know their section-mates and work closer together as a result. We don't want to encourage switching between sections every 5 minutes because the player is bored of X role or see a juicy weapon they want somewhere else.

FlyingR

maybe you must die first to switch the section?

Why would you die? What if you join a Section by accident or they want to kick you out because the section is for a specific clan or you just don't want to be in that section because the teammates are idiots or because you want to create a squad for a specific reason?

@General Naga , I understand that you want to encourage teamplay and get to know each other and I agree, I am all up for it, but what happens if guy with a medic or sniper kit switches sections for the reasons mentioned above? What would actually happen? What is your system currently? If you don't mind me asking that is. You just are not allowed to switch as in there's not "Leave Section" button? Or you die when you switch?

Last edited:
O M G 8| This is AMAZING! Hurry up and let me donate!!
A question though, I've seen there's no info regarding the vehicles. Maybe it's too early to tell, but will we see something like in PR, where the vehicles have their own sections? What I'm trying to say is if section 1 (consisting of infantry) won't be able to take a vehicle (transport vehicle, armored car, tank, you name it ...) whenever they feel like it.
E.g.:
- Section one: Infantry
- Section two: Infantry
- Section three: Tanks (or other vehicles): Only those who are in this section will be able to use the vehicles and not players from section one and two.

drummer93

Why would you die? What if you join a Section by accident or they want to kick you out because the section is for a specific clan or you just don't want to be in that section because the teammates are idiots or because you want to create a squad for a specific reason?

I think that the leader have to confirm your join in the section. That could solve that problems. And well, if you want to change the section because your team is idiot, you must die (or suicide), join a new section, choose an available role, and spawn on base or a rally point. I know that this way have some issues, but I think that is the best

FlyingR

I think that the leader have to confirm your join in the section. That could solve that problems. And well, if you want to change the section because your team is idiot, you must die (or suicide), join a new section, choose an available role, and spawn on base or a rally point. I know that this way have some issues, but I think that is the best

I like that the section leader could accept or reject invitations, but then the problem is how do you know who will be an idiot or not?

Maybe a better solution would be that the section leader can approve or not who takes the important roles such as sniper or medic? But then that removes the freedom for the players to choose?

As for the player leaving a section, dying is a bit unnecessary and makes the team a useful life/ticket/weapon. I think the player should leave freely. However, if he is to leave with a special kit, then maybe "suicide" him or something. As long as it's easy for the team to code.

Aniallator

WOW! Amazing update! I love the PR-esque UI! Gorgeous, so gorgeous :D A round of applause to @hannibaldinski and the rest of the team! Here's my two cents on the UI.

1. I don't think you need to say "MAXIMUM REACHED", the 1/1 or 2/2 or whatever is enough. Keep the UI even sleeker!
2. IMO the deploy button looks strange. I'd remove the white border, and give the button a solid green color as opposed to a shaded green; also, I think you can just say "DEPLOY IN 14", the "SEC" isn't necessary.
3. Thank you for spelling Café instead of Cafe, and Château instead of Chateau! One thing though, it's Bénouville, not Benouvillé. A typo, I assume.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, section leaders can be section leaders without an NCO kit? Please, can this be changed so you need an NCO to be section leader? It wouldn't make sense for a marksman, or a rifleman, or anyone other than an NCO to lead a section. And once vehicles are implemented, can we have vehicle-only sections?

@drummer93 and [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION], I think just implement it so you can't join/leave sections unless you're dead. I disagree about having NCOs choose kits for section members, when you join a section you ought to ask your NCO what kit he wants you to use, but he shouldn't actually choose for you.

Anyway, looking forward to November 6th :D

FlyingR

[MENTION=195]hannibaldinski[/MENTION] please I beg you, since you are doing a PRish mapping system, please make it better by adding how many meters are each square and/or the the scale, it would be very very helpful as well as adding how many kms are each map. Top or bottom corner is great either way.
Lets say map: 2 km > 1 whole square: 150x150 m > 1 small square: 50m

Also for other guidelines you could add in the map the keypad numbers (1-9) in each small square in only one whole square in a top corner.

I noticed that the lines of the whole squares are easier to differentiate from the smaller ones which in PR is hard to distinguish which complicates it a lot! Nice one!

Aniallator

@hannibaldinski please I beg you, since you are doing a PRish mapping system, please make it better by adding how many meters are each square and/or the the scale, it would be very very helpful as well as adding how many kms are each map. Top or bottom corner is great either way.
Lets say map: 2 km > 1 whole square: 150x150 m > 1 small square: 50m

Also for other guidelines you could add in the map the keypad numbers (1-9) in each small square in only one whole square in a top corner.

I noticed that the lines of the whole squares are easier to differentiate from the smaller ones which in PR is hard to distinguish which complicates it a lot! Nice one!

+1

I agree we need a scale to show the number of meters in a square. I'd say put the scale in the bottom left corner, so left of the deploy button. Another suggestion [MENTION=195]hannibaldinski[/MENTION], can you please make the grid letters/numbers white as opposed to black, so they contrast more and are thus easier to see?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.