• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Next chapter idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

AG3D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Brigade

here is a link of one of my favorite unit during the WW2.
I know it's on wiki and there is not always true thing on this but...

I think that Crytek show us that a game engine can make it really nice with snow covered warfare. So I think it would be nice to see that in an incoming chapter for the mod.

If you read well, you will notice that they were a commando unit that was doing guerrila warfare, so I think that would be nice to see a new gametype for multi. As a UT2004 Assault gameplay.

Tell me what you think of that!

Sir Apple

Its honestly way to far away for us to plan for such ;). We have a (beyond) ton more to put into Overlord, including other multiple factions.

Also our gameplay modes for MP will be ones that follow a more realistic premise. Something like Assault is more for an arcade game i.e CoD series or such really.

Last edited:

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
While I don't make any comments if we will include a certain theatre of operations, we will never know what we end up with, I must say that Guerilla Warfare will not fit into a game. Guerilla is basically a group soldiers patrolling an area and being sneak attacked by some others, then to kill some civilians as revenge.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Personally I think it's basically impossible to create a realistic guerilla battle as the nature of the game means the "regular team" will be expecting it.

Random spawning locations might make some difference but at the end of the day you can't create the true element of surprise which is what guerilla's normally rely heavily on.

That being said I personally like the idea of snow battles partly because CryEngine2 handles that sort of environment so well - I can't comment on what is planned for the future though, so that's just my personal feelings.

Last edited:

AG3D

I think I've gone too far with my brain!

General Naga
but at the end of the day you can't create the true element of surprise which is what guerilla's normally rely heavily on.

Right about that, didn't thought about this.

was just speculating some ideas to work for.
Nothing real on paper.

Thank for the replies

Bob_Bobber0

I like the idea. We should def include snow levels, as at least 1/3 of the war was fought in snow covered areas. (what..nov--->march)?

And different and unique gametype ideas are always welcome! Keep them coming!

Since i like roaming around the Forums and saying what it think, i'll do it again : I dreamt of something once (Yes, it happens) and i think having a chapter against Italians in Sicillia (or whatever it's called). Must've watched too much history channel, here's the video saying almost it all :
With canadians, Sharp hills, dificult terrain and tanks ! :D

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm old enough to remember playing Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome and having great fun battling through the Mediterranean environment but since then I can't really think of any WWII games which have featured the Italian campaign in any real detail (if at all).

There is certainly an argument to be made that in a future chapter we should add one of the less obvious campaigns such as the Sicily/Italy, Fall of France, Fall of Scandinavia etc.. I don't know how you feel but to me most WWII games seem to be about with Africa, Russia or Normandy.

Perhaps the question is which of the lesser known campaigns are people's favorites?

brrr

TW Developer
I'd personally love to see Market garden, purely because its such a British focused campaign - also it as in Italy's case hasn't been in many games before - at least not from the British perspective.

It would also offer up the opportunities to have an environment with its own distinctive type of architecture and overall look (windmills and red brick streets ftw :p).

Sir Apple

I've always said someday I want a proper Italian campaign, really badly.

More specifically, one that has the United States in it, very rarely do ww2 games ever put the U.S against Italy. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is one of the older Call of Duties (Big Red One I think). I think that would be loads of fun :)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
It's strange really there were so many big battles in Italy but I guess in terms of marketing it's not going to sell as well as Europe/Pacific theaters.

The South-East Asian theatre has never been done to my knowledge.

So yeah, Metal gives me ideas!

Actually, more like random ArmA 2 Missions.
Might as well be a bad idea, Perhaps, A 1st Gulf war Episode ?
Russia's overmanned Troopes with monobrows against Ben Laden and his Buddies!

I don't even think it's a good idea myself, just an Original idea and i did not see any games with that Context.

CoH2-Soon,
-Squirrel

empiredoom

Down the road this mod should have Canadians in it, Uniforms were almost the same except for the colour and the patches.The rest would be the same because of Canada being part of the Commonwealth.

VonMudra

Considering we're doing the British sector of Normandy, Canadians are not only appropriate, they'll be necessary ;)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Personally I'd love to see commonwealth factions added in the future as well as the Fall of France. Neither are properly represented in games.

volcol

1940 would receive my vote, the French are poorly represented in games, they actually put up a good fight

VonMudra

Fall of France would be amazing, but if far in the future. Don't discount it though...it would be quite enjoyable to do. Ripping up German tanks left and right in a Somua is just a part of that enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.