• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Our Favourite War Films

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which film did you find most touching, inspiring and make you want to wave you flag around while saluting and singing your national anthem?

As a Briton my favourite has to be A bridge too far - a film that tells the story of the events of Operation Market Garden and how badly it ended for the Allies...

Never the less it shows how strong willed we are - like the scene where General Frost tell the German calling for a truce to go to hell

But what are your favourite war film?

Killen

My favorite ones are "flags of our fathers" and "letters from iwo jima". The first one made me cry

Sydd

Hmm, None of the war movies from my countries got me emotionally or filled me with pride. They were all made for the sake of telling a story and how the protagonist can dodge bullets and kill 50 people in one blow.

But Saving Private Ryan was the first war movie that I saw that had gore in it which made me realize what war really was like. I would think about all those people on the beaches crying for their mothers, the other looking for his limbs.. I was I think around 10 when I watched it I still feel the fear today although not to that extent.

Yeah, as far as movies are concerned that would be it.

FlyingR

Most touching I don't know... but best war movie(s) out there:
Longest Day (Best of the best hands down)
Most oldies (A Bridge Too Far, Midway, Tora! Tora! Tora! Battle of Britain, 12 O'clock High, etc.)
Das Boot
Stalingrad (1993) not the remake...
Downfall
Talvisota
Schindler's List < This is one of the most touching movies ever... The shower scene almost killed me.
The Pianist < Another sad movie that truly depicts the horrors of the Holocaust along with Schindler's List.
Memphis Belle

None WWII:
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Full Metal Jacket
Beneath Hill 60

But Saving Private Ryan was the first war movie that I saw that had gore in it which made me realize what war really was like.

Yes Pvt Ryan is a classic and I know what you mean by the absolute atrocities shown in the film - probably one of the more accurate depictions of what war is really like and it takes place at Normandy one of the most bloodiest fights in the war.

Sydd

Yes Pvt Ryan is a classic and I know what you mean by the absolute atrocities shown in the film - probably one of the more accurate depictions of what war is really like and it takes place at Normandy one of the most bloodiest fights in the war.

Yep although I think the eastern front was far more horrific. Due to the winter and not to mention how the soviets behaved. Nobody wanted to surrender from what I've read.

Timberwolf

im definitely going to watch that after Kellys Heroes!

Watched Kelly's Heroes yesterday. :p

My favorite WWII films (movies)? There would be quite a list. In no particular order.

Thin Red Line
When Trumpets Fade
Valkyrie
The Dam Busters
Where Eagles Dare
The Guns of Navarone
Saving Private Ryan
Pearl Harbor
The Monuments Men
Kelly's Heroes

Might have missed one or two.

Honorable mention:
All Quiet on the Western Front (Im Westen nichts Neues) (1979)

Sydd

I was hoping nobody would mention pearl harbor! I hate it when Hollywood decides its a good idea to shove a love story in a war, we ALL know what happens when love stories and war go hand in hand...

Aniallator

[MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION], combine that with Michael Bay, and you get a proper pile of sh*t. Don't even get me going on Enemy at the Gates...

Status
Not open for further replies.