• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Our Favourite War Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
If I had to name two it would be Band of Brothers (not a film technically but still) and a Bridge Too Far.

drummer93

Perl Harbour and Enemy at the Gates

Naah, it's a joke hahahaha. If I have to choose only one, I think that is Saving Private Ryan. Yes, I know that it has some technical and historical mistakes (when Millers shoots through the Tigers aperture, for example), but when I saw it the first time, blew my mind. I saw it again again and again for years hahaha, maybe 20 times

Sydd

Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are producing a new mini-series about the Eighth Air Force
Ahh, God that should be exciting then, Although I wish they made something on the armored divisions in perhaps el alamein. Friggin Rommel <3

FlyingR

Good find Alex! Finally, about time seeing some infantry battles from the German's perspective!

This is when you realize how suppression fire is very very important, hope TW will have a suppression fire mechanism where your vision will blur or something just like PR.

Timberwolf

Over the years, the inaccuracies of war movies has started to bother me more and more.

(T-34s dressed as Tigers, post-war shermans, lookalike small arms, post-war aircraft, and the list goes on and on....)

Aniallator

In Company of Heroes (deserves a Worst Film of the Year award), all the US troops were using Lee-Enfields. I mean, come on...

Simon

In Company of Heroes (deserves a Worst Film of the Year award), all the US troops were using Lee-Enfields. I mean, come on...

While some troops could use Lee-Enfield, its probably stupid whole army uses it, watched the trailer and doesn't look so bad.

I will watch the whole movie when I have time, do you know where I can get it (without buying it)

Alex

Over the years, the inaccuracies of war movies has started to bother me more and more.

(T-34s dressed as Tigers, post-war shermans, lookalike small arms, post-war aircraft, and the list goes on and on....)
Kelly's Heroes at least tried to get some things right, unlike a lot of movies made at the time.

FlyingR

More and more the films are rarely accurate, they just focus on pleasing the people with big explosions and blood, whereas historical accuracy is left on the side (watch Red Tails or Pearl Harbor).

If you want to watch the most historical accurate films, go back in time, and watch movies like the Longest Day (for me the most historical WWII film ever made), A Bridge Too Far, Battle of Britain, Midway, and so on.

In the Longest Day, it's 4 hours of what happened in D-Day, the planning, the para-drops, the landings, both from the Allied (British, Canadian and US) as well as German. You will learn more in those 4 hrs than in your entire history classes since primary school until last year of high school.

Aniallator

While some troops could use Lee-Enfield, its probably stupid whole army uses it, watched the trailer and doesn't look so bad.

I will watch the whole movie when I have time, do you know where I can get it (without buying it)

I'm sure you can torrent Company of Heroes off Pirate Bay or somewhere... though I wouldn't recommend that film in a million years. It's just bad. It's a group of Allied Rambos that magic their way into Germany and prevent the Germans from deploying an atomic bomb. The antagonist is a cartoon bad guy, a Nazi officer with a limp leg; the whole shebang. It's a garbage film. Sadly, it has the actors who play Lt. Compton from Band of Brothers and Sgt. Horvath from Saving Private Ryan!

Timberwolf

Kelly's Heroes at least tried to get some things right, unlike a lot of movies made at the time.

Kelly's Heroes is indeed the most recent war movie I've seen. (A damn good one, too)

I could see through those fake Tigers the second they appeared on screen. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.