• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Parabolic bullet trajectory

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummer93

I don't know if this was discussed before, and it's more a question than a suggestion. Are you planning implement parabolic bullet trayectory? I know that is very complex, but maybe you consider it

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Good question, it's not something I've played around with (yet) but it wouldn't make sense for our weapons to be like laser beams! But this is something CRYENGINE is capable of, yes. Their weapon system is the best out there, which is why we haven't been showing new weapon gameplay as we're reiterating to make them the best we can be.

Does anyone have any technical data on the weapons used during WWII? That would be very useful.

drummer93

Good question, it's not something I've played around with (yet) but it wouldn't make sense for our weapons to be like laser beams! But this is something CRYENGINE is capable of, yes. Their weapon system is the best out there, which is why we haven't been showing new weapon gameplay as we're reiterating to make them the best we can be.

Does anyone have any technical data on the weapons used during WWII? That would be very useful.

mm no sorry, but you first need some knowledge about physic, "oblique launch" to be more precise, but is not something complex. Maybe @VonMudra have some data about initial velocity of the weapons bullets and things like that.

If you program something generic, then you only have to change the parameters to each weapon. Well you know more than me! haha

But if you implement it, you have to program adjustable sight for weapons (and maybe make a very simple animation, or just a HUD indicator). Red Orchestra 2 and Heroes and Generals have bullet drop, if you want to see some examples

Last edited:
I think I can provide initial projectile speed for most of the weapons we'll be getting. I'll see if I can find my book tomorrow.

VonMudra

As far as I am aware (and Naga can correct me if I am not), bullet drop is doable in cryengine and we do want to have it. It should be noted though that I do not foresee engagement ranges ingame above 400 yards thanks to computer technical limitations, geography, foiliage, etc. so any drop would not be very pronounced at all- we are talking having to raise your sights a millimeter or two at best. Most of the weapons, at least the rifle caliber ones, already had their battle sights ranged to 200-300 yards anyways.

mmiedzianyy

As far as I am aware (and Naga can correct me if I am not), bullet drop is doable in cryengine and we do want to have it. It should be noted though that I do not foresee engagement ranges ingame above 400 yards thanks to computer technical limitations, geography, foiliage, etc. so any drop would not be very pronounced at all- we are talking having to raise your sights a millimeter or two at best. Most of the weapons, at least the rifle caliber ones, already had their battle sights ranged to 200-300 yards anyways.

But what about SMGs? Their effective range was not as big as in rifles, so to shoot on longer distances you ought to put your sights above the target, more than it will be in rifles or LMG's, ya?

Mars

Pathfinder Games
There will be no adjustable sights in this game! Did anyone use them in RO2?

Mudra brings up a good point about engagement ranges in TW, which brings up another point - should we slightly exaggerate the drop distances in the game to simulate bullet drop, or keep it fully realistic? In my mind you won't see any bullet drop with rifles as we don't have massive engagement ranges like Arma, but I would like bullet drop emphasised with SMGs so they can't be used for sniping.

I'm open for your feedback on this guys, including how the weapons should 'feel'. I want our weapons to really feel like you're firing them in-game like you would in real life, which is extremely challenging as I don't think many games have 100% got it right yet (and I'm not saying TW will... :p)

mmiedzianyy

As for using sights in RO2 - i do. There are few maps when firing ranges are about 200-300 metres or more and adjusting sights is needed. I wonder though, if Tripwire did bullet drop properly and not exaggerated it. If you say, that in TW there will be no bigger engagement ranges so it's pointless in rifles, but as for SMG's.. I know that in Insurgency there is no bullet physics and it's weird if you shoot mp40(Thompson in WWII mod) straight to the target in range bigger than 150 metres.. The efficiency of thompson ends after 200 metres i guess. It would be annoying if the smg gunner will be able to shot down targets as effective as rifleman on longer range. It's my opinion though and i don't know as much as you do about guns.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Maybe some kind of minor spread then for SMGs would be a solution, and rifles have zero spread. Something we'll have to spend a lot of time playtesting and balancing.

drummer93

I think the same as [MENTION=2186]mmiedzianyy[/MENTION]. I know that RO2 is exaggerated because you can adjust your rifle sight at 2000 mts, but between 100 and 300 mts is necessary, the bullet drop affect your presition. Think about the snipers, you want the bullet impact where you aim. The advantage is that not all weapons in this game have adjustable sights, so is less work: all the pistols, the Sten, the Thompson... the MP40 have only 200 mts adjustment

Aniallator

There will be no adjustable sights in this game! Did anyone use them in RO2?

True, not usually, but I still used them now and then.

Mudra brings up a good point about engagement ranges in TW, which brings up another point - should we slightly exaggerate the drop distances in the game to simulate bullet drop, or keep it fully realistic? In my mind you won't see any bullet drop with rifles as we don't have massive engagement ranges like Arma, but I would like bullet drop emphasised with SMGs so they can't be used for sniping.

I'm open for your feedback on this guys, including how the weapons should 'feel'. I want our weapons to really feel like you're firing them in-game like you would in real life, which is extremely challenging as I don't think many games have 100% got it right yet (and I'm not saying TW will... :p)

To be honest, I think it's better that all ballistics be implemented realistically; in the case of SMGs and even pistols, I feel like video games have turned them into inaccurate blunderbusses ineffective beyond ten meters, and it'd be great to see them implemented realistically for a change. I mean take the MP 40, its effective firing range can come up on 200 meters! In RO2 it feels more like 30. At longer ranges, more so for weapons utilizing pistol cartridges, you of course have more bullet drop than you would using a rifle cartridge, and as is pistol cartridges don't have the accuracy of rifle cartridges (I don't need to explain that accurate range and effective range are not the same thing), so more spread for the appropriate weapons would be realistic. But if you pop off one round form an MP 40 when you're holding your breath? I don't see why that round shouldn't be realistically accurate.

Last edited:
So, I've found my book, and got the muzzle velocity for all weapons I know of, save the No.4.

All values are in meters per second

Pistols
Luger P08: 320 m/s
Walther P38: 340 m/s
Ruby: 280 m/s
Webley: 189 m/s

Rifles
K98k: 755 m/s
Lebel 1886: 725 m/s
Lee-Enfield No.1 Mk III*: 634 m/s

SMG
MP40: 390 m/s
Thompson: 280 m/s
Sten Mk II: 366 m/s

MG
MG34: 755 m/s
MG42: 820 m/s
Bren Mk II: 744 m/s
Vickers: 744 m/s

If I've forgotten one, just say it, I'll put it up here if I can find it.

drummer93

great [MENTION=1183]th_battleaxe[/MENTION]. Now the team have to apply some physics magic! hahaha :). God, I'm a fu**ing nerd...

Status
Not open for further replies.