• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Parabolic bullet trajectory

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummer93

Maybe some kind of minor spread then for SMGs would be a solution, and rifles have zero spread. Something we'll have to spend a lot of time playtesting and balancing.

and more spread for some SMG than others. For example, the Thompson has bigger caliber and more rate of fire than the MP40, so the spread for the Thompson should be greater.

Aniallator

I want to argue the lack of adjustable sights with this; how about a few weapons, the ones that really need it, can have adjustable sights? Panzerfaust, PIAT, et cetera. I can see leaving out adjustable sights on pistols, rifles, et cetera (though I'd genuinely prefer we have them on rifles), but I can't see not having adjustable sights on my Panzerfaust. Consider it? Because without adjustable sights it's going to be ****ing near impossible to hit something more than thirty meters away.

drummer93

I want to argue the lack of adjustable sights with this; how about a few weapons, the ones that really need it, can have adjustable sights? Panzerfaust, PIAT, et cetera. I can see leaving out adjustable sights on pistols, rifles, et cetera (though I'd genuinely prefer we have them on rifles), but I can't see not having adjustable sights on my Panzerfaust. Consider it? Because without adjustable sights it's going to be ****ing near impossible to hit something more than thirty meters away.

just imagine Panzerfaust without it haha. Obviously they consider it Ani :)

VonMudra

Good news! The Panzerfaust 60 wasn't out by the timeframe that we are doing (came out in Sept 1944), so you'll only be getting the Pzfaust 30 :)

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Naturally we consider things like this, but we have limited technical resource so we can't add any features we like for the sake of it.

Aniallator

Good news! The Panzerfaust 60 wasn't out by the timeframe that we are doing (came out in Sept 1944), so you'll only be getting the Pzfaust 30 :)

Sorry, I don't know my fausts xD Does the 30 have just one peephole in the sight? For the heck of it I Google image searched "panzerfaust 30 sight", and this was among the results. How have I not seen this before?! Gorgeous! And to think this is from 2013... I really would love to see some more weapons pics...

Don't mean to derail my question, though. What does the 30 sight look like? @Mars I don't know what implementing adjustable sights entails of course, and if it's a real hassle then I can think of other things I'd rather see, but were it possible I think adjustable sights on some weapons would be useful, though I can see most weapons being fine without them. It's those damned ATs and their trajectory...

Last edited:

Aniallator

Okay, three peepholes as I thought... if we can't adjust, how are we supposed to hit something beyond thirty meters?

drummer93

Okay, three peepholes as I thought... if we can't adjust, how are we supposed to hit something beyond thirty meters?

I don't know. 30 mts is the maximum nominal range, so you do less damage at more than 30 (40 mts you can see). My question is how we can hit at 20 mts... I can imagine the ogive flying over a tank hahaha

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Anti-tank weapons won't be available in the release so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

VonMudra

I don't know. 30 mts is the maximum nominal range, so you do less damage at more than 30 (40 mts you can see). My question is how we can hit at 20 mts... I can imagine the ogive flying over a tank hahaha

It would do exactly the same damage, thanks to it being a HEAT round, no matter what range it hits at. With the PzFaust 30, that's around 180-200mm of penetration (IE, there literally is not a single tank we could put into Normandy, that was there historically, that could survive a hit), followed by a massive plume of fire and melted steel filling the inside of the tank, incinerating those inside.

As for other sight distances, there were also 30 ones that simply had the one peephole for 30m (the Faustpatrone was the same way). That said, we could probably put in a way of range adjusting it when it is actually needed. Beyond that, as I stated before, most combat ranges in TW will be below 200m, and given that most rifles of the era have battle sights of 200-300m, adjusting rifle sights is pointless.

drummer93

It would do exactly the same damage, thanks to it being a HEAT round, no matter what range it hits at. With the PzFaust 30, that's around 180-200mm of penetration (IE, there literally is not a single tank we could put into Normandy, that was there historically, that could survive a hit), followed by a massive plume of fire and melted steel filling the inside of the tank, incinerating those inside.

As for other sight distances, there were also 30 ones that simply had the one peephole for 30m (the Faustpatrone was the same way). That said, we could probably put in a way of range adjusting it when it is actually needed. Beyond that, as I stated before, most combat ranges in TW will be below 200m, and given that most rifles of the era have battle sights of 200-300m, adjusting rifle sights is pointless.

I'm not talking about distance, I'm talking about the angle impact. The ogive has a parabolic trajectory, and for more distance, the impact angle is more pronounced. Of course the penetration is insane, and that data is not important. But well, I read about Panzerfaust warheads bouncing

Last edited:

VonMudra

Those generally refer to the early Faustpatrone, which had a weird warhead shape that allowed it to bounce rather than detonate at high angle. And well yes, you could conceivably get a high enough angle that the Panzafaust's warhead will bounce or not be able to penetrate, the angle would probably be so high that you'd basically be facing another side of the tank altogether and might as well aim at that instead.

drummer93

[MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION]. I think that for some reason the germans engineers determined that nominal range, and the only explanation I find is the angle impact. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Panzerfaust 30 can penetrate 200 mm at 30° or less

Status
Not open for further replies.