• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Realistic suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonMudra

This just popped into mind... Will we see any kind of Nazi simbolism in the game since it is against the law in some countries, Germany being one of them?

You mean like, swastikas on uniforms?

That's currently up in the air. If anything, it'll be an optional hotfix that would add historically correct swazis/SS runes, if you really need it.

Skemba!

Well not that I need it or really really want it. It was a thought since there is so much emphasis on immersion and the dreaded realism.

I would avoid it honestly, buisness wise. This game has potential written all over it, it would be a pitty to ruin it by decreasing the audience in the name of "realism". Was just wondering anyway, thanks.

Sorry I'm just jumping in thirteen pages in. Its simply unreasonable to expect me to know everything that everyone responded to so bear with me....

Duke said:
3. Bullet penetration - (I did not find anything about it) Not a CoD like, but realistic.

Something most people don't understand is how powerful rifles are. For example in almost every single game I've played a tree is effective protection. In reality trees are not, they are concealment. Realistically speaking if you see a guy try to shield himself with a tree the average infantry rifle of the day would have no trouble punching through the average tree to kill the bad guy.

Duke said:
4. Sequenced reloading - I don't know if this is possible but it would be realistic. Once I remove the clip for example from a Thompson, and i change weapons, the next time i change to Thompson the reload would continue from inserting the clip.
And don't forget about the bullet in the barrel! :D

Great suggestion. Now, I don't intend on sounding like a pretentious ass but I have a pet peeve. With a Thompson sub machine gun you exchange magazines. There are clips for weapons such as the clip that goes into a Garand or the stripper clip for a bolt action rifle like a Mauser.

Duke said:
13. Suppression - Make it serious, even extreme, like disabled sprint and no iron sight zoom/focus (If there will be)

I'm not sure if I like this one.... On one end it allows machineguns to more "rrealistically suppress the enemy. On the other end if that's literally how that worked IRL then the famous charge that Dan Daily led in ww1 wouldn't ever have occurred.

"Cmon you want to live forever you sons of bitches!" Dan Daly.

What the game needs are mechanics that keep players from always being competent and courageous when under fire, while not preventing people rushing fantastically into a hail of bullets and somehow, some way coming out triumphant. We just need to make such a scenario unlikely y'know?

What I don't want to see is the bullshit of "oh a bullet passed within one mile of me so I'm going to jump a mile in the air", which ultimately results in your in game character shaking worse than Micheal J Fox because every single cartridge fired near you causes you to shift your point of aim dramatically. What that means is the inaccurate pos smg that would never hit you in a million years at the range your fighting at somehow makes it impossible for you to shoot back. Not very realistic.

Leopardi

This might give you an approximate idea...still not actual combat footage but those sounds...
This gives a good impression of the loudness, at 2:00 theres an MG firing from the building behind and the supersonic cracking is way louder than the gunfire.

Last edited:

siben

What is that, half a second difference between crack and bang? that would place the machine gun like what, 150 meters away? kind of normal then that it sounds less loud.

Alex

Well from what I heard, the Geneva Convention never states that the medic is a “non-combatant” and therefore may not carry a weapon. The notion that a member of the medical corps may not be armed is in fact an American interpretation of the document, but is not stated anywhere within the Geneva Convention.

As noted above, the medical companies of the Werhmacht were issued weapons, including MG’s. They went so far as to even attach MG squads to medical companies for protection. Unfortunately many allied powers saw the armed German Sanitater as a poser, hiding under the Red Cross for tactical purposes, and often shot them.

So what'll be the deal for Sanitater?

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Speaking from personal experience (being a trained Medic), I wasn't allowed to carry a weapon as long as I wore the Red Cross, but that was only during peace-time; if it was a war and I was stationed in a hostile environment, I'd be carrying my own weapons indeed. But the rule of thumb is really more like this; "you're here to save life, not take them but if you find yourself in an immediate danger, you'll have to protect yourself".

As we were told, a Medic is worth as many as X soldiers really because he got the means to keep a squad going, and we often trained on protecting the Medic at a really high cost. I'd like to see something similar really; he can arm himself and obviously defend himself, but perhaps that shouldn't be his main objective? Just putting some personal ideas out there, so nothing confirmed, haha!

Maniche

Leopardi

What is that, half a second difference between crack and bang? that would place the machine gun like what, 150 meters away? kind of normal then that it sounds less loud.
Judging from the rate of fire that's a .50 cal or heavier firing which is really loud even at that distance... but still the cracking is twice as loud so it does give a good idea.

You mean like, swastikas on uniforms?

That's currently up in the air. If anything, it'll be an optional hotfix that would add historically correct swazis/SS runes, if you really need it.

Couldn't it be made a toggleable thingy in the Options/Settings menu?

siben

Judging from the rate of fire that's a .50 cal or heavier firing which is really loud even at that distance... but still the cracking is twice as loud so it does give a good idea.

Let me put it in a different way:

Gunshot = sound of internal parts weapon moving + sound of fast moving hot gasses coming into contact with normal air + sonic boom of bullet (the moment it leaves the barrel it is at its fastest speed, so no way could it make a louder bang then at that moment with the exception maybe of an impact) + the echo of the sound coming back of whatever objects you are near

Bullet flying over = sonic, or double sonic boom + the echo of it hitting the ground

So, how can the latter be louder then the first? It can't.

Also, the gunshot has more longer frequency sound, with a rifle you can feel it trough your body when it goes off. like a base at a party. the sonic boom of a passing bullet is a more high pitch sound, short frequency. you might think it is louder because of that.

Also: no cheap recording device can record the sounds properly.

Herr. Danny N.

Hello everyone. I just saw this game by searching ''Best WWII mods'' in google, and stumbled on this beauty of a game, personaly, i have been waiting for quite some years for the ''Festung Europa'' game using the CryEngine too, but they switched to Unreal 4 Engine. This game looks stunning from what i've seen so far. Can't wait to see more footage!

For suggestions, i don't know what the CryEngine is capable of and if the developers have full rights to the engine, but what about this:

* The more you roll around in dirt, crouched, prone, you will get mud on your clothing.

* Face customisation so there will be different faces on the battlefield instead of (4?) standard ones.

* Weapon sway like in ArmA (aiming deadzone) and Red Orchestra games.

* Footprints

* Dust trails when moving in sand, and movable bushes, grass etc. (just for details and to spot and hear someone close to you, being all sneaky and such!)

* No health regeneration, you can bleed out when being shot, you can bandage the wound but you are still wounded, so less HP.

* Like in Red Orchestra (wich was awesome) when you got shot, and died, your ragdoll was spurtling on the ground, screaming, moaning or choking on his own blood, depending where you got shot.

* If there is some sort of destruction available, like you can shoot through wood, and other materials, destroying materials like wood (fences) or maybe walls (shoot of small pieces of concrete)

It's a lot, and i think not achievable, but those were some ideas that i thought of.

Friendly regards, Danny.

Pvt_Larry

* No health regeneration, you can bleed out when being shot, you can bandage the wound but you are still wounded, so less HP.

* Like in Red Orchestra (wich was awesome) when you got shot, and died, your ragdoll was spurtling on the ground, screaming, moaning or choking on his own blood, depending where you got shot.

My only concern is thinking about wounds and bleeding; what comes to mind for me is Battlefield 2's Project Reality, which had, in my opinion, a very not-fun system for this, where bandaging did not always seem effective and it was not possible to determine where I'd been hit or how serious my wound was. I'd prefer not to have a repeat of this.

Aniallator

One bullet to the head should be an instant kill. One bullet to the torso should be an instant kill or a severe wounding, depending on ballistics, range, and weapon. One bullet to the arm should be a serious wounding, as should one bullet to the leg. A bullet wound should trigger bleeding, as should a shrapnel wound, so long as the shrapnel wound took at least a third of your health; thus, a shrapnel wound that took less than a third of your health would not trigger bleeding. Bleeding should reduce your health over several minutes, depending on your health when the bleeding was triggered. When your health becomes low, you should be able to hear your heartbeat, and the edges of your vision should begin to fade.

One bullet to the arm should result in greater weapon sway and slower running, one bullet to the leg somewhat greater weapon sway and no longer being able to run. For all wounds, your vision should blur with sudden movements.

A medic class would have bandages and morphine. Bandages would stem bleeding to almost nothing, while morphine would decrease the effects of wounds and remove blurring vision. Bandages shouldn't degrade at all, however morphine's effects should wear off after several minutes.

Also, perhaps if a bullet hits your helmet, there's a low percentage change it'll ricochet, leaving you unhurt?

Just my two cents! I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'd give medic class a try.

Leopardi

Let me put it in a different way:

Gunshot = sound of internal parts weapon moving + sound of fast moving hot gasses coming into contact with normal air + sonic boom of bullet (the moment it leaves the barrel it is at its fastest speed, so no way could it make a louder bang then at that moment with the exception maybe of an impact) + the echo of the sound coming back of whatever objects you are near

Bullet flying over = sonic, or double sonic boom + the echo of it hitting the ground

So, how can the latter be louder then the first? It can't.

Also, the gunshot has more longer frequency sound, with a rifle you can feel it trough your body when it goes off. like a base at a party. the sonic boom of a passing bullet is a more high pitch sound, short frequency. you might think it is louder because of that.

Also: no cheap recording device can record the sounds properly.
I'm not of course saying it's louder when you compare them directly, but when you get some distance to the gunner, the sonic boom quickly becomes louder than the gunshot itself... and that in the video gave a good impression of the high sound pressure levels the bullets produce.

Also at ~100m distance assault rifle fire sounds almost exactly like the sound the sonic booms produce.

VonMudra

I should note to you, @Aniallator, that the helmets used in WW1 and 2 (and to the invention of kevlar) were incapable of stopping bullets. They're made to stop shrapnel from artillery, the number one killer in modern warfare. A ricocheted bullet is POSSIBLE at high degrees of angle, but very very unlikely.

I should note to you, @Aniallator, that the helmets used in WW1 and 2 (and to the invention of kevlar) were incapable of stopping bullets. They're made to stop shrapnel from artillery, the number one killer in modern warfare. A ricocheted bullet is POSSIBLE at high degrees of angle, but very very unlikely.

Even a modern kevlar helmet is not designed to survive a bullet. They CAN stop some pistols but they are principally to survive shrapnel. Interestingly enough the most likely way to survive a grenade thrown into the room your defending is to dive down helmet facing the bomb with your hands down. That way you are using your helmet to try to deflect the deadly shrapnel from the blast. Most of the energy is going up so you encounter the least amount of energy and shrapnel.

Those same reasons are why artillery which killed so many in ww2 is actually principally good at killing people caught in the open. Once they dive in the dirt and get just a little cover it takes a much closer hit to kill the infantry. For that reason Germany used artillery and machineguns to control the enemy more than kill them. Deny the enemy reinforcements, deny them the ability to see your assault teams coming and deny them the ability to shoot back.

Leopardi said:
I'm not of course saying it's louder when you compare them directly, but when you get some distance to the gunner, the sonic boom quickly becomes louder than the gunshot itself... and that in the video gave a good impression of the high sound pressure levels the bullets produce.

Also at ~100m distance assault rifle fire sounds almost exactly like the sound the sonic booms produce.

I was actually going to say that. Good one there Leopardi. There is also the factor that the actual rifle shooting may be down the street which is also around the corner from you. While the bullet itself passes by you and into a building on the street your currently on. So you can both hear the sonic boom but also the crack as bullets impact but the gunshot will sound muted because it does not have a direct path for the sound waves to travel to you.

VonMudra

Even a modern kevlar helmet is not designed to survive a bullet. They CAN stop some pistols but they are principally to survive shrapnel. Interestingly enough the most likely way to survive a grenade thrown into the room your defending is to dive down helmet facing the bomb with your hands down. That way you are using your helmet to try to deflect the deadly shrapnel from the blast. Most of the energy is going up so you encounter the least amount of energy and shrapnel.

Those same reasons are why artillery which killed so many in ww2 is actually principally good at killing people caught in the open. Once they dive in the dirt and get just a little cover it takes a much closer hit to kill the infantry. For that reason Germany used artillery and machineguns to control the enemy more than kill them. Deny the enemy reinforcements, deny them the ability to see your assault teams coming and deny them the ability to shoot back.

Quite true, though I have seen evidence of kevlar helms actually stopping AK47 rounds, though at great range. In total though, yes, helmets are for stopping shrapnel. They won't stop a bullet, and will not in game.

Leopardi

Quite true, though I have seen evidence of kevlar helms actually stopping AK47 rounds, though at great range. In total though, yes, helmets are for stopping shrapnel. They won't stop a bullet, and will not in game.
They do consistently stop pistol rounds at a little distance, see at 2:00

Sometimes, you believe you know something then someone contests it. When you posted that video my emediate response was "well, even a wicker basket will stop a bullet given sufficient range." Yet there was enough nagging me that I booted up some calculators to look at the ballistics of the situation. Partially to see if the 9mm would be superior(which my "instinct" told me it would.) What surprised me is that at 50 yards despite the .45 acp dropping a whopping 5 inches (or 2 inches from sight picture because if I remember the sights are set at 25 yards) the .45 only looses about 8-10% of its energy. Clearly then the distance is not the key. I found a video of a German m57 post war helmet taking a .45 and a 9mm at 10 yards in stride. Its got a steeper angle than the german ww2 helmet but the .45 didn't really slide off, it hit denting the thing and spattered instead.

So I find that I must eat my words. A steel helmet is indeed capable of handling pistols.

Status
Not open for further replies.