• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Shrapnel Sound Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roughbeak

I saw this on another forum talking about "shrapnel sound effects" and "shake". How audible you can actually hear them is interesting. Is it possible to add them to the game?

[video=youtube;v_MgM17Lqdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_MgM17Lqdc[/video]

It would bring the true life of a FPS come to life that is for sure!

VonMudra

If you're hearing it, you're not being hit by it ;) It's what you don't hear that gets you.

In the end, I'm unsure how explosives work in the CryEngine (again, not a coder :p). If there is a way to model unique explosions that include fragmentation, that would be great, but I know not of any FPS games that accomplish that. It would most likely (correct me if I'm wrong, Naga!) be simply the sphere of death that occurs in most games, IE, anyone in a certain radius is killed if not in cover.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
If you're hearing it, you're not being hit by it ;) It's what you don't hear that gets you.

In the end, I'm unsure how explosives work in the CryEngine (again, not a coder :p). If there is a way to model unique explosions that include fragmentation, that would be great, but I know not of any FPS games that accomplish that. It would most likely (correct me if I'm wrong, Naga!) be simply the sphere of death that occurs in most games, IE, anyone in a certain radius is killed if not in cover.

We could implement individual fragments from shrapnel but that means rather than having to track a single explosion we'd have to network each fragment which for the benefits gained isn't worth it in my opinion.

It's not something I've look into however.

The compromise could be a killzone from the shock-wave with a wider zone which has a chance of shrapnel damage which decreases to zero as you get further away from the impact. You could then add shrapnel geometry into the particle effect just for effect (which are run entirely client-side I believe but I haven't looked). The disadvantage is the shrapnel geometry won't tie up to who gets hit but the gameplay effect would be the same.

Roughbeak

The default SDK, shows you shoot a Desert Eagle against a hard surface and it shockwaves back. I guess it's not a bad start ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.