• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

So...this is Traction Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All.

I had heard about traction wars here and there over the past many months but only recently finally googled it and looked into it.

Had no idea when I first heard the name that it was a ww2 game.

Been playing Forgotten Hope 2 since...well...since there's been an FH2(released 12/14/2008 I believe?). And FH1 before that.

I notice a lot of FH community names around here.

I will DEFINITELY be trying this out whenever it releases which hopefully won't be too much longer.

If FH2 continues on it's current sad player base trajectory we are all going to need a new game to jump ship to before too long.

And this looks tailor made for FH2 fans...A realistic(I assume...only playing it will determine that) while hopefully not TOO realistic(ie. PR) ww2 shooter with even nicer graphics.

What I REALLY LIKE about this is that it will be a standalone game. One of the HUGE limitations for the FH2 playerbase is that playing it depends on people still having a now 8 year old game on their hard drives. I'm sure by now the vast majority of bf2 fans of yesteryear have moved on.

Question: What will be the maximum number of players online on a map at once in this? That could be the one limiting factor compared to bf2 engine mods depending on the answer.

Question: Please don't take this the wrong way but I see one of the earliest posts in the forums(“want to join the team” by general Naga) was started in mid 2008 which would indicate this has been in development for 5 years now so I have to ask...this game is EVER going to see the light of day with an actual release...right?

All I can say is I sure hope it gets released and as soon as humanly possible. To be able to just download one file and install that one game and then BE PLAYING...wow. (as opposed to “reinstall bf2...now DL and install 1.41 patch...now DL and install 1.5 patch now DL and install the mod...no wonder FH2 has a dwindling playerbase.)

Question: Just thought of another question. I assume, being an online game, that it will use some form of anticheat software, but please, please PLEASE GOD let there be something better than punkbuster out there for that purpose. That PITA wrongly disconnects so many people from the WaW server when we try to have FH2 games there. Tell me there are better options out there that you all are considering.

Roughbeak

IIRC, the team has been working on this for 5 years now, but they started with the Cryengine 2, then later they moved to the Cry engine 3 few years after that. The team has been working smoothly for the past few years now (from what i have heard).

I think the reason why its taking 5 years is because the team had to start from fresh once they moved to the Cry engine 3 and a for example (quoting Mudra here) "We had the Panzer IV made for us 3 times before a dev finally stayed around long enough to give it to us (the other two disappeared shortly before it was completed)."

Another thing, the devs had to remake everything they had in Cryengine 2 to make it for CE3. Then finally they snatched Chad509! One of the best animators in history. :D

Btw.. Welcome to the community Professor! :)

Last edited:

Sir Apple

Welcome to the community Anthrax. I have played Forgotten Hope for at least 7 years. I remember playing FH2 with you almost every game, and towards the end I used to spend hours idling WOLF and playing Thursdays/Fridays :)

Last edited:
Having to switch engines certainly would make development take a while longer. Just promise me that if a cryengine 4 comes out you guys don't switch again ;-) I'm sure newer engines always add certain nice enhancements but it's important to get a finished product out too.

Btw, what is the maximum number of players online for this engine?

PS. Thanks for the welcome's Roughbeak and Sir Apple.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Don't worry we're on CE3 for good, the engine can do everything we want it with room to spare. We're aiming for large server capacities but we aren't in a position to confirm numbers until we've conducted proper stress testing as we haven't got anything to compare against on CE3. What I can say is we want bigger servers as much as the community does but it will come down to how smoothly we can get the game to run on a normal dedicated server hosting.

Sir Apple

I had a bunch of names, I never talked much ingame. In FH2 I spent most of my time playing under "nexttimelookbehindU".

Even then, you probably won't remember me as I rarely ever spoke ingame :p

Kevino

Vanguard Friend
I had a bunch of names, I never talked much ingame. In FH2 I spent most of my time playing under "nexttimelookbehindU".

Even then, you probably won't remember me as I rarely ever spoke ingame :p

yes, I remember that name! I don't usually use a mic either, just typing :)

Hey Kevino!

And yeah I definitely remember "nexttimelookbehindU" from FH2.
[MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION]: Oh ok. I didn't know if the CE3 engine might have had some built in player numbers limit like some other game engines do. So it's fairly wide open just depending on getting things to run smoothly?

Troy

Hmm, its weird I never thought that many people played FH2 I played it a few times but ended up going back onto RnL alpha 4! It was my baby </3

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
@General Naga: Oh ok. I didn't know if the CE3 engine might have had some built in player numbers limit like some other game engines do. So it's fairly wide open just depending on getting things to run smoothly?

The version we're using doesn't. As an extreme example CE3 has been used to develop MMORPGs which goes to show it is possible to have massive servers abet that type of game is very different they had to rewrite the network code from scratch.

Kevino

Vanguard Friend
I am sure I will have to upgrade my computer before I can play Traction Wars, is there a min. spec. list somewhere?

Sir Apple

Nothing is set in stone and finalized yet regarding specs, but:

There is extensive testing and optimisation yet to be done but tentatively the minimum specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista SP1, Windows 7, Windows 8
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0 GHz or better (a multi-core processor is strongly recommended)
Memory: 1 GB RAM (2 GB recommended)
Video Card: nVidia 8800GT 512MB RAM, ATI 3850HD 512MB RAM or better (SM 3.0 minimum)

I'll probably need to upgrade too. I am a bit over the minimum specs(but only a bit on most things) but meeting just the minimum specs does not normally make for an 'optimal' playing experience. I know a lot of games come with 'minimum specs' and then 'recommended specs' and I imagine I'm a bit under them for a game on an engine as new as CE3.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
I'll probably need to upgrade too. I am a bit over the minimum specs(but only a bit on most things) but meeting just the minimum specs does not normally make for an 'optimal' playing experience. I know a lot of games come with 'minimum specs' and then 'recommended specs' and I imagine I'm a bit under them for a game on an engine as new as CE3.

I recommend downloading de CE3 SDK and find out how it runs?

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The barebones SDK isn't terribly well optimised so I would take it only as a rough guide. Worth checking out though just to see the engine tech demo level.

Hazania

I just found this game myself, sounds like a lot of work and time is being put into this game. I can't wait to see the results! I only hope I can be a part of the creation of this game.

Costalicious

Absolutely looking forward to this, since we're running low on War Simulations and propper Games with Teamplay/Teamwork aspects - keep it up

Status
Not open for further replies.