• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Suppression, Concussion Effect and Weapons Deviation systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pascucci

Suppression should be an extremely important part of most of the firefights in this game. By suppression, I mean the reactions of the human body and mind to be fired at, especially by a large caliber or high rate of fire weapon. In actual firefights, most rounds were actually fired to suppress enemies in order to cover other infantry or to pin them down for any number of reasons. Most soldiers don't want to get killed, so naturally their combat efficiency is going to be much lower when being fired at by an MG42 or other machine gun and even those that do, typically are impaired by nature to act efficiently while under that kind of fire. My suggestion would be to blur vision as well as to impair weapons accuracy. Artillery should have a similar, but even longer lasting a more devastating affect when exploding nearby as well as cause concussion injuries to soldiers inside of buildings and bunkers.

Weapons deviation should also be considered to increase realism. One of my biggest grudges about FH2 (a BF2 mod) was that weapons were almost as accurate as they were in real life under sterile conditions. The battlefield is not exactly as calm as a shooting range and the mental state of the soldier shooting the gun isn't as stable as it would be in training with the exception of die hard veterans (which wouldn't apply in this game) and soldiers given a relentless amount of training with their firearm (snipers probably should be very accurate). My biggest point is to encourage soldiers to take up positions by making them stay still for a short period of time, 3 seconds or so, before they can fire their weapons at 100% accuracy, as well as implementing an RO type system for soldier exhaustion from physical exertion that would cause him to fire less accurately. Naturally, some weapons with a high rate of fire won't be affected as much by losing accuracy, but I believe deviation is a necessity to stop the run and gun players from bunny hopping, dolphin diving and taking a crack shot like they don't give a F*ck.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Some great ideas there Pascucci :)

The only thing I can really add is the distinction to make between deviation and weapon sway. Guns don't get less accurate, the user gets less able to use them. So you won't be seeing weapons in TWs which magically get less accurate but you might well find that your ability to aim is hampered by sway, breathing etc.. :)

VonMudra

What Naga said. As I've discussed this at length with you over steam, the deviation will be done by weapon sway, breathing, and an inability to aim/see targets when suppressed (via blurry vision and more sway and such).

Status
Not open for further replies.