• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Suppression system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovier

I remember reading something about a suppression mechanic in the VonMudra dev interview.

If you insist on having it in the game, I really hope it's not the same as Red Orchestra's. I absolutely 100% disapprove of it. The one in Red Orchestra is completely awful and makes no sense at all.

I would like it if a dev could explain how this would work? I can't imagine any way for such a mechanic to not be garbage.

Aniallator

Welcome to TW, @Ovier!

The devs have hinted at what the suppression system entails, but we don't know all the details... yet ;) I imagine we'll hear more about it in the coming updates, but in the meantime I recommend reading the link, it hints at some suppression features that sound amazing.

Last edited:

FlyingR

For the shock, like a near grenade explosion or mortar shell, does it mean that something like the map, compass and vision will become blurred or have some effect so that we get disoriented?

Last edited:

Aniallator

For the shock, like a near grenade explosion or mortar shell, does it mean that something like the map, compass and vision will become blurred or have some effect so that we get disoriented?

I am very keen to hear - and hopefully see - about the differences between suppression and shock, hopefully we get more about these soon.

FlyingR

Also how often does the "piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii" sound that you hear when bombs explode near you? Also you can't hear properly. Does it happen all the time (depending how close you are to the explosion of course) and shall we be expecting that in TW?

Ovier

After reading that, it seems as if you are going for the same way Red Orchestra does this.

The problems I have with this in Red Orchestra, is that sometimes when enemies are not even shooting at you, you might suffer from suppression just because your close to them. It also seems as if bolt action rifles will be almost obsolete because of this, even at long range.

If a rifleman was laying prone on a field trying to shoot at an enemy soldier with an SMG, he would only have one chance to kill him because the enemy doesn't need to hit the rifleman, but merely shoot in his general direction to make it impossible for him to aim due to suppression.

Sydd

After reading that, it seems as if you are going for the same way Red Orchestra does this.

The problems I have with this in Red Orchestra, is that sometimes when enemies are not even shooting at you, you might suffer from suppression just because your close to them. It also seems as if bolt action rifles will be almost obsolete because of this, even at long range.

If a rifleman was laying prone on a field trying to shoot at an enemy soldier with an SMG, he would only have one chance to kill him because the enemy doesn't need to hit the rifleman, but merely shoot in his general direction to make it impossible for him to aim due to suppression.

Well, first off.. Welcome to the community!
And we are all dying to know what the devs have planned when it comes to suppression. But the example you stated about an smg vs a rifleman at long range is highly exaggerated in my opinion, this is because, in order to be suppressed the bullets need to whiz fairly close to you and the smgs will lose their effectiveness beyond mid range, so as a rifleman you have a chance.. It's usually the guy carrying the smg who will be in trouble in that situation. Besides these additions make the game realistic allowing you to use tactics like covering fire, suppressing fire etc, not to mention this prevents people from getting the idea that they are Rambo. Or as it will become common, grab a sniper rifle and sit by a tree and "PTFO" 5km away from the objective. Normally these idiots will pull off some impossible shot they have been trying for 20 mins and they hit you while you have to move closer to him all while giving him a chance to shoot back at you. Now? You just turn around and ask a friend with you to just shoot at him, it doesn't matter if you aren't able to even wound him.. He will be forced to pull back for a while and possibly relocate.
Sorry for the long post, here's a cookie!

Aniallator

I wouldn't worry, you can bet that TW's suppression system will be far more realistic than the system that RO uses! I think our devs have put a lot of effort into making TW's suppression system as realistic, and enjoyable, as possible. They seem very excited to show us more about it :)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The problems I have with this in Red Orchestra, is that sometimes when enemies are not even shooting at you, you might suffer from suppression just because your close to them.

That doesn't happen with our system - you have to be in proximity to the bullet trajectory,

Status
Not open for further replies.