• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

Hi @Tankmad990, welcome to the community! Tanks won't appear in TW until the second chapter. So far, we know of two tanks that will be implemented, the Cromwell Mk. IV and the Panzer IV Ausf. H. I'm pretty sure the Churchill Mk. VII Crocodile, Panzer II Ausf. L Luchs, and Panzer VI Ausf. E Tiger are also planned or hoped for later releases. If the Crocodile is implemented, I'd assume the Churchill Mk. IV or Mk. VII will also make an appearance.

I'm not sure if there'll be Fireflies, however I wouldn't be surprised if there are for two reasons; one being, having a Gold or Sword beach map may mean having DD Shermans. The other being, if and when the US and the US sector of Normandy is added, having Shermans will be necessary. Having Shermans will make modelling and implementation of the Firefly easier to some degree. But this is all on a hunch :) Anyway, tanks take time to implement, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I should also warn you that I'm an optimist ;)

Last edited:

VonMudra

As the historical advisor/researcher, I can confirm that the Firefly will be in along with regular Shermans. One Firefly tank served in each squad of Shermans, so it would be necessary to have them in. And yes, they will be able to kill Tigers/Panthers from the front with ease.

I think the best way of doing gear changes, is using the same system the original Red Orchestra used. They had an incremental throttle, and as you added throttle, you'd change gear automatically. So you could creep forward into a hedge to fire from, keep up with the infantry at a slow pace, or just cruise at full speed. Do remember to implement a brake pedal.

siben

I think the best way of doing gear changes, is using the same system the original Red Orchestra used. They had an incremental throttle, and as you added throttle, you'd change gear automatically. So you could creep forward into a hedge to fire from, keep up with the infantry at a slow pace, or just cruise at full speed. Do remember to implement a brake pedal.

That would be the best way, otherwise i think almost nobody would manage to drive around, Changing gears in things like WW2 trucks isn't like changing gear in a car, most had for example a double clutch.

Take your time to read this, and then wonder, do you really think it would make a game better if you have to use these techniques? and if you make a mistake you break your engine or gearbox.

Double clutch (technique) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aniallator

W waist time on tacky Sherman's, be adventurous and make a DAF39 or T13 or just a R35.

R 35, yes please! After all, R 35s were among the first German tanks to encounter Allied forces during Overlord; US paratroopers in Carentan came across some I believe. They'd be a neat addition and having them would be historically accurate... at least for the US sector of Normandy.

drummer93

i guess to put manual gear change for vehicles in a game makes it an simulation - players dont like simulations...

I love simulation haha :). But no, i dont think like you. Manual gear it's a simple system, and give you a lot of maneuver posibilities. It's only my opinion

Re: Tanks PROPOSAL FOR ALL

I respect your position and sorry shooter players prefer to have focus on aiming and shooting with realistic physics and grafics. Not to read manuals for controlling the game basics (moves, use of vehicles, reload etc.).
To stop this useless endless discussion about what kind of control everybody prefer and to dont make the game to an simple bloody new clown of BF, RO, ARMA ... .

Proposal: let every player select his ingame control level in his own game settings according to an popular reference game. This would be an real Innovation on the gaming market and all can play together on one server.
Crysis - FarCry - BF - RO - ARMA - Custom
Custom means all settings manual possible
driving/flying:
- gearbox automatic till manual
- direct driving till indirect by commanding bots
weapon reload:
- one klick animation till manual click and select orgy
The stats will show what is the best for every player.

Fixed that for you.

watch the marked alltime statistics - Arma&Co are at the bottom - ArmaIII best with only 1Mio sales - nothing compared with games which have an easier control. Marked numbers are representative to see which gamestyle the majority of players prefer. -> Most of the players like games with easy control but realistic physics and grafics.

Aniallator

Arma 3 has one million sales, and CoD has several million. But that doesn't mean TW needs to be less like Arma 3 and more like CoD. It's a realism game after all, so you ought to expect realistic features. I personally would love manual gear shift, at least in tanks. Being able to cruise down a street at walking pace with infantry, or tearing across an open field while engaging an enemy tank. Would be helpful.

well if you won't realism then using buttons on a keyboard to change gear would give you that . You change gear on war thunder manually and that's not a sim game

Status
Not open for further replies.