• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

The 3 Major's

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScheifferB

Hi guys,

This is just out of my own personal interest. I would like to know if you, -THE COMMUNITY!- could choose 3 features that ultimately HAVE to be in the game what would they be and why? And there is a huge emphasis on what you think really should be in the game, if you could only choose three. I'd really like to see some of your idea's, I want to get some community discussion boiling over into an amalgamation of interaction.

Can I just give some examples of poor submissions.

"I think we should have a radio system because I like radio chat" - NO
"I think we should have vehicles because driving about will be tactical" - NO
"I think we should have kippers because kippers are mentioned in the cromwell voice trailer and they are good for omega 3" - NO..?

Ultimately, I want to read paragraphs of perfectly structured input, followed by why. It's going to be interesting to see what the most popular mentioned feature is.

Have fun with it!

Versus

I would like to see plugin support. Like BF2Python/Sourcemod/...

Why?
Plugin support allows us to write our own admin systems/extra features/...
IE.: Admin system/stats system/Ranking system/...

Roughbeak

(1) Changeable barrels.

I'm not saying this is a must but definitely having, just because simple no other game has it! It would rather hard to code, but it might be worth it. You could even do it on a Bren and of course MG42/34.

(2) Extreme selection of voice commands

I know some people might prefer voip instead of this, add both. But hey, most people like some simple voice commands, like "get the h**l out of there" (and/or get the h**l out of here), "spread it out."

Most games just have the simple "get moving", "take cover", "medic" kind of things. It would be really nice to have more of a selection of voice commands, but I guess someone could argue that voip would be the better solution.

Although I don't know, it would be realistic to have voices talking around the town maybe sometimes echoing, seems voip just hides your voice away from enemies which tends to get unrealistic.

(3) Beautifully made maps and fun

Well I can trust Maniche about this one can't I? ;)

Last edited:

Oprah

1) 3D voice chat with speaking volume control.

If you're aiming for realistic gameplay, 3D voice is a must for obvious reasons. And the volume control because in most games with 3D voice chat, you're stuck with shouting volume. Volume control would be very useful when you want to communicate without bothering the people 30 meters behind you, or if you want to issue orders to someone 80 meters away without having to run over there. Also when approaching enemies it'd be very useful if you can communicate quietly instead of the regular shouting, alerting the enemies of your presence.

2) Some sort of medic/bleeding system.
I don't mean an ArmA 2 ACE-ish system, since TW would likely be more fast paced than that, but not every shot kills.

Here's my thread on the suggestion (more in-depth because I don't want to spam the entire thing in this thread):
http://www.tractionwars.com/suggestions/2869-medic-system-ideas.html#post37440

3) Suppression effects.
I made a thread on this suggestion a while ago, so instead of posting it twice, here it is:
http://www.tractionwars.com/suggestions/2501-small-suggestion.html

These 3 features would be incredible to have in the game, in my opinion. :)

1) Effective suppression and meaningful LMG roles, none of this RO2 nonsense :p

2)Squad cohesion like in Project Reality (again I must relate this back to RO2 nonsense), and maybe a fireteam system. Perhaps having a Brothers in Arms kinda system where the squad leader points fireteams into positions may work.

3) Make aiming more difficult than RO2 - perhaps this can be done by how the sights align. I'm not a gun-enthusiast so bare with me; in FH2, the aperture moves independently of the front-sight when you move side to side. This is something that I would like to see in game, however I think it would be good if it were to take time to line up correctly after you have just moved your body. Perhaps if you have been in the same, rested position for a while, it shouldn't take any time to realign. In addition to this, adjustable sights for both snipers and rifles so you can shoot at far away targets.

I shall stop before this turns into a "this is where RO2 went wrong" thread :D

VonMudra

Honestly, lining up sights if you are simply moving it around with your eye down the barrel takes no time at all. :p

1) A semi-realistic radio system. By this, I mean anyone around you, friend or foe, can listen to you talk as you talk on the radio (not unlike Arma, Project Reality, or Intruder). Also, a direct talk system (seen in all those games as well, with the addition of Resistance and Liberation coming to mind) so the channels are clear while you explain something to your fireteam, or in rare cases, surrender/take prisoners.

2)A fair medical system. In my dream, it would be easy and quick to use. There would be two levels: walking wounded, and unconcious, being exactly what they sound like. One will require bandages and you'll live, where the latter would have you need something like epinephrine as well as bandages. You might become unconcious if you stay walking wounded too long, as well. Each team would have maybe two medic slots (assuming we're going by classes/slotting), and players who could not use the classes effectively enough would have to make room for someone who could. They'd have a limited number of bandages (10 most likely) and maybe half or three quarters that in epinephrine. Each soldier would have one bandage to use on themselves or a friendly.

Also, different things happen depending where you're hit. Chest will probably knock you down unconcious or kill you. Leg shot would slow you down. Arm shot would make you have difficulty aiming and take longer to complete actions.

3)Some sort of system tying in with our forum accounts or Steam or similar. This would help easily keep track of friends and help people recognize each other, namely. Also it would mean maybe we could keep track of stats through there, create clans/outfits/groups, and other nice things.

Honestly, lining up sights if you are simply moving it around with your eye down the barrel takes no time at all. :p
Fair enough, I don't shoot so I wouldn't know. But I thought it could be something that could avoid the snap shooting as seen in RO2. However, maybe if it just took a little more time to shoulder your weapon it would achieve the same goal.

blurr22

I would like to see a medic support system where the medic is a key role and can bandage/heal wounds, a way to talk in proximity with your teammates or on the radio with your squad leaders, and large scale beautiful maps.

BrokenArrow

Variety because monotony will kill a game faster than a marine on d-day. We need new stuff on a consistent basis, and the ability to pursue various tactical options to keep things exciting.

Jeeps/volkswagens because, walking for a long time to reach an ao is pretty dull.

A theme song simply because all of the coolest things have theme songs. Like batman.

Pascucci

While getting fired at, fearing for your life and being exhausted, accurate snap firing didn't happen. If combat during WWII was like what it is in FH2 and RO the average life expectancy would be around 45 seconds in combat and soldiers would be issued 5 rounds of ammo. In real life, most combat consisted of firing in the direction of the enemy and hiding. I do not want to see snap firing in TW, I'd like to see at least some delay for firing with pin point accuracy at rangers over 30 feet or so. 2 seconds would be adequate. Using reenacting as an example is bad, you are firing blanks and do not have projectiles firing at you after you have spent 3 weeks in the field.

Kevino

Vanguard Friend
While getting fired at, fearing for your life and being exhausted, accurate snap firing didn't happen. If combat during WWII was like what it is in FH2 and RO the average life expectancy would be around 45 seconds in combat and soldiers would be issued 5 rounds of ammo. In real life, most combat consisted of firing in the direction of the enemy and hiding. I do not want to see snap firing in TW, I'd like to see at least some delay for firing with pin point accuracy at rangers over 30 feet or so. 2 seconds would be adequate. Using reenacting as an example is bad, you are firing blanks and do not have projectiles firing at you after you have spent 3 weeks in the field.

what if you're shooting at marines, or germans, or anyone other than army rangers?

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
The thing is you need to hinder the ability of the avatar to return accurate fire, but not completely disable it. Someone suggested a "rapid blinking effect" as the shots are landing towards you. That, coupled with a reduction of FoV and slight blur/loss of focus that lasts for a small interval should give plenty of opportunities for the attacker to win (if he's not straight at the place where the person taking fire is looking at in that moment). RO2 also has those shaky sights when shots are landing near...

And of course all weapons should be able to suppress, albeit at different intensity. So if you manage to organize a squad of riflemen to shoot at the same spot it could pin the person down effectively for the duration of the fire.

Also not sure how plausible, but maybe a "mechanic" that would increase your spawn time a bit when getting killed while being suppressed for x seconds could discourage people to try to act like heroes. On the other hand it could lead to them trying to kill the attacker right away, as it would be more beneficial if they manage to pull it off :|... It needs some proper thought but I'm sure there are ways to make suppression relevant, and not just a slight hindrance of seing the world grey instead in colour.

VonMudra

Of course. My video was merely to represent how it would be dumb to make it agonizingly slow to sight the rifle in or impossible to hold a sight picture when moving it. Obviously the ability to make snap shots is easily countered by imparting some inaccuracy and weaponsway, and even a bit of unfocusing to represent the eye refocusing down the sight.

Vintorez

1. First of all: one shot - one kill. No playing with a pound of lead in the bowels.
2. No crosshair. Or... the ability to disable the crosshair.
3. The possibility of carrying only two weapons. Assault weapon and a pistol/revolver.

It is a pity that only three :|, because I could mention a few more...

VonMudra

1) It will mostly be that of course

2) There is already no crosshair.

3) You will carry what you were issued via the class you spawn with. Mostly, this means the majority of player's will only have a rifle and a bayonet as weapons. It will be possible to swap kits off a dead player, but it would involve losing what you were previously carrying.

Pascucci

1. First of all: one shot - one kill. No playing with a pound of lead in the bowels.

Yeah, for a lot of shots at least.
2. No crosshair. Or... the ability to disable the crosshair.

I think it is confirmed there won't be one, thank Jeebus
3. The possibility of carrying only two weapons. Assault weapon and a pistol/revolver.

No. The only troops that will have pistols are NCOs, machine gunners, tank crewmen and various support troops. I would actually like the ability to pick up individual weapons off of dead enemies and allies, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.