• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Traction War's Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

The most realistic WWII game is by far IL-2 1946 and WWIIO. However no new game (2010 onwards) has been able to give what these 2 games have.

PR WWII is coming soon I hope. And War of Rights + Traction Wars will probably be most realistic games of 2015 / 2016

FlyingR

PR WWII is coming soon I hope. And War of Rights + Traction Wars will probably be most realistic games of 2015 / 2016

Well, sorry by realistic I meant more of a simulation than realistic. I didn't want to put TW because it's more of a realism game. Those two games IL-2 and WWIIOL is as real as it gets... PR:WWII has a few things that makes a realism game (rally points for example). I dunno how ARMA WWII is... but yeah, I don't know when we will see a new WWII sim.

Esu21

Heroes and Generals is just dog s*it. Every trailer from them lies, its arcade and if it was realistic, there would be no P2W system.

If I can be little mean right now..... I'm glad its dying.

I guess your right,but even with that I still love the game and I always play as the axis side :rolleyes: But Im waiting for TW because Im tired of this type of arcade games that are unbalanced and P2W

Alex

I guess your right,but even with that I still love the game and I always play as the axis side :rolleyes: But Im waiting for TW because Im tired of this type of arcade games that are unbalanced and P2W
Why exactly do you, like many others still keep on playing?
You just mentioned you don't like the arcade style and unbalance in the game.

Sydd

Precisely why I gave up on that game, for good. So far I have no regrets, more importantly.. I am not losing my patience.

Glad they have an update really, but that is a really bad way to show off your game to the world. As early as it may be, it doesn't present the game in a positive light, with engine errors, an excess of bloom, lens flare that would make J. J. Abrams jealous and the Fraps address on the top.

I think you missed the entire purpose behind FE releasing these videos...These CLEARLY were not released to show off anything graphically. They understand all the issues that you pointed out, but more importantly, they realize that their loyal followers dont care about all that. I, along with the other loyal followers understand that all those simple issues that you so candidly pointed out in your post will be fixed. We just appreciate that FE put their ego's aside (unlike TW) and released some content that their fans will truly enjoy to see. Regardless of how 'bad' it looks. We, as followers of the game, who have been posting for 4+years on the forums just waiting for some sort of game play content appreciate that sort of thing. Was hoping that TW would take a page out of FE's book.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I understand why they did it, [MENTION=2468]Heinrich Springer[/MENTION], and it's a good thing for them as that's their way of progressing their game. No harm in that. I won't let this turn into a fan-war so I'll let it be with that, haha!

Traction Wars have always been a bit "slow" at releasing updates perhaps, but that's mainly since we never (though it have happened on a few cases) show any (heavy) Work in Progress-pieces or footage, as we know it won't exactly be representative of the end-result. We believe the Community is more in favor of getting a better insight of the game with finished assets/footage and judge the game upon that, than seeing WIPs that will (most likely) change drastically at the end; it won't really serve any purpose that way, right? I'm always a skeptic of showing WIPs as they are just that - Work in Progress! But that's TW for you - we want to create a realistic, fun and immersive game to our highest of abilities, and I believe we got the talent and will of doing just that - takes bloody long time, yes, but a title that can probably compete with bigger studios might be worth it, right? I hope so, haha! (You don't know how many cookies I've burned through being in the Editor)

It's a process we've done since pretty much forever really, and even though I agree to an extent it would perhaps "suit a bigger audience" that we released a bunch of WIP shots/footage more frequently instead of these "long and slow" updates of finished pieces, I'm confident you, the Community, will endure and thank us once it's all done.

I hope you can understand, as I'm quite understanding of your concern and I know there's a bunch more of you that thinks the same way. I hope it doesn't kill your spirit of playing both FE and TW once they're released! There's room for two.

Tl;dr - FE and TW got different approaches to updates/development

FlyingR

Thanks for the clarification [MENTION=109]Maniche[/MENTION], I like your approach but it really does take a long time for an update.

I have seen many complaints about the Devs stating that they are doing this in their free time and you want to present updates that will be exactly like the released game, so my question is why not hire more people? I know it is a problem finding the right persons and might be a hassle, and what you guys are doing is very very big, so maybe hiring more people might make the work faster?

volcol

Thanks for the clarification @Maniche, I like your approach but it really does take a long time for an update.

I have seen many complaints about the Devs stating that they are doing this in their free time and you want to present updates that will be exactly like the released game, so my question is why not hire more people? I know it is a problem finding the right persons and might be a hassle, and what you guys are doing is very very big, so maybe hiring more people might make the work faster?

Hiring would imply money passes hands. Money does not pass hands, it's a voluntary role, so we are unfortunately in a position where we must rely on a volunteer basis. Many of the devs that work on TW are working full time within the games dev field or similar areas. We work on this for the love of the project and for the love of the theme.

Also, somethings just dawned on me with this thread. "Being a firm believer in competition among rivals" - there's not been a post made like this on the FE forums... Perhaps as a 'loyal follower' of FE, this is a pretty elaborate bit of advertising FE as alive via our forums... perhaps not - but - wishful thinking ey.

So we will take a leaf from our own book and trust our community to not spam competitors forums with this sort of tactic.

Last edited:

FlyingR

Hiring would imply money passes hands. Money does not pass hands, it's a voluntary role, so we are unfortunately in a position where we must rely on a volunteer basis. Many of the devs that work on TW are working full time within the games dev field or similar areas. We work on this for the love of the project and for the love of the theme.

Maybe I used the wrong word or what not, but I'm sure that there are a lot of people who would love to help for free, as a volunteer. I mean, if I could do any of what you guys are doing I would gladly contribute!

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Trust me, we've had a bunch (and I mean a lot) of applications, but as Volcol already said; once they get we can't pay them they scatter quite fast. Not all of course, but I'm confident the numbers are around 7 out of 10 if not more. But enough ranting around that, haha!

You're quite right - having more people would mean faster development, and we're constantly looking for more Developers that share the same passion as us. That being said, it's a though business being in this field as you probably can tell, especially when you're so "small" compared to the bigger teams

Esu21

Well,is the only F2P WW2 game that I know with "modern" graphics and that my friends can play. Also, is quite addictive if your "good" at it ;)

Simon

Well,is the only F2P WW2 game that I know with "modern" graphics and that my friends can play. Also, is quite addictive if your "good" at it ;)

You can't be good in H&G...

Spend 10€ on gold and buy some tanks and you are dominating the field

FlyingR

[MENTION=109]Maniche[/MENTION]! Ah it's a shame man! Hopefully as this gets bigger, people will want to be part of it by lending a hand (for free)!

drummer93

team, you didn't talk with Forgotten Hope 2 people? I mean, they could be part of this project. I know that @chad509 makes the animation in this game too

Aniallator

Once FE and TW are out, I'd love to see how they compete. Or rather how FE falls behind. With all due respect to the fellows at Jackboot, I have no doubt TW will be the superior game.

the colours and textile definition are a way off what they should be (and that's not me being picky, but the British tunic looks to be a fine textile pattern instead of wool - an obvious error)

It is for this attention to detail, and many other reasons, that I think these devs are just f***ing awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.