• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Unification of two standalone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I think you can't really compare Traction Wars to Festung Europe. Traction Wars is free, so you can use all default assets from Cry engine Sandbox (at least I see them on every screenshot released so far), while developers from Festung Europe have to do everything (objects, vegetation, particle effects etc.) from scratch and that's really lot of work. Also I have the feeling that Festung Europe will be more realistic than Traction Wars, so it looks like we will have two very different games. And the last thing - you mentioned that Festung Europe will focus only battles until Caen - that's not entirely true. They said they will make more scenarios later if the game itself is successful and since it's made by the same people as Darkest Hour, I believe we can expect also American troops and Ardennes campaign.

I look forward for both games

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Also I have the feeling that Festung Europe will be more realistic than Traction Wars, so it looks like we will have two very different games.

Just interested to why you are feeling FE will be more realistic? Do you mean gameplay wise or historical accurate? Or is it just a feeling?

Last edited:
It's just a personal feeling, because from what I've seen so far from Traction Wars, it does not feel as realistic as Darkest Hour was. It feels more like Battlefield 2 to me - and that's not bad, I loved BF2... But I know it's still WIP and my opinion can change later after both games are completed.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I'll be reluctant to point out obvious flaws with some of the other group's work but anywho - the games themselves would be different, both parties will try to create a historical correct and immersive experience.

How many original DH-devs are on that game again? And stating game X will be better than game Y isn't ideal when both have yet to show fully in-game game-play, heck, you'd need to play them both. Not to bragg but we've at least shown something working, unlike the other group.

And no, there is really no Vanilla Asset in our Library; if you're talking about the old CE2-screens then yes, it was some Vanilla Assets there whilst we were building our Library, but we're making everything ourself and our in-game videos shows that quite well.

Maniche

volcol

We'll try convince you otherwise when we have some gameplay videos. For now there's nothing really out there apart from a few bits of written text that can offer any idea as to how it'll play. Realism is a key drive for us, and while it won't be excessively realistic - it'll certainly be a key feature.

How many original DH-devs are on that game again? And stating game X will be better than game Y isn't ideal when both have yet to show fully in-game game-play, heck, you'd need to play them both. Not to bragg but we've at least shown something working, unlike the other group.

And no, there is really no Vanilla Asset in our Library; if you're talking about the old CE2-screens then yes, it was some Vanilla Assets there whilst we were building our Library, but we're making everything ourself and our in-game videos shows that quite well.

Maniche

1. I'm not really saying that "game X will be better", I just said that I have a feeling that Festung Europe will be more realistic (that really does not mean better), thats all and it's just a personal feeling because I spent hundreds of hours playing Darkest Hour and I expect the same (or higher) level of realism in their new game.

2. I don't know developers of that game personally, so I can't tell how many people from their team worked on Darkest Hour.

3. Yes, you shown something working and I kinda like that. Festung Europe did not show any in-game footage so far but keep in mind that they started working on the game last year (if I'm not mistaken) and they also work only in their free time - how long do you work on Traction Wars? I believe I first heard about this game in early 2009 and thats pretty long time ago.

4. About the assets - I was just judging from the screenshots, that's all.

I didn't really wanted to start any bashing discussion, I just wanted to say what I feel, that's all. I wish luck to both teams, rivalry is good because I believe it keeps both team pushing to their limits.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
1. I'm not really saying that "game X will be better", I just said that I have a feeling that Festung Europe will be more realistic (that really does not mean better), thats all and it's just a personal feeling because I spent hundreds of hours playing Darkest Hour and I expect the same (or higher) level of realism in their new game.

2. I don't know developers of that game personally, so I can't tell how many people from their team worked on Darkest Hour.

3. Yes, you shown something working and I kinda like that. Festung Europe did not show any in-game footage so far but keep in mind that they started working on the game last year (if I'm not mistaken) and they also work only in their free time - how long do you work on Traction Wars? I believe I first heard about this game in early 2009 and thats pretty long time ago.

4. About the assets - I was just judging from the screenshots, that's all.

I didn't really wanted to start any bashing discussion, I just wanted to say what I feel, that's all. I wish luck to both teams, rivalry is good because I believe it keeps both team pushing to their limits.

All valid points.

1. You did, however, say that you're looking for an "as realistic or greater" experience than DH - which imply that good realism = good game for you, or am I mistaken in that assumption?

2. The reason I brought it up is because I've heard that argument a few times already, and it's not really a good one.

3. The old iteration was from Crysis Wars, which meant a complete overhaul by the game and content itself - which again means we're only been in "production" on the current iteration since late 2011; and it shows as we're quite far out in production, without me spoiling anything now.

4. Yes, but I'm curious to know which ones? Because none of our CE3-screenshots have any Vanilla Assets in them, so stating "all default assets from Cry engine Sandbox (at least I see them on every screenshot released so far)" is to me (being the Lead Level Designer), a bit hurtful, haha!

Not to worry, it's always good to discuss a bit here and there.

Maniche

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
4. Yes, but I'm curious to know which ones? Because none of our CE3-screenshots have any Vanilla Assets in them, so stating "all default assets from Cry engine Sandbox (at least I see them on every screenshot released so far)" is to me (being the Lead Level Designer), a bit hurtful, haha!

For the weapon preview shot we used some things from the Vanilla Assets :) In the maps we have presented all assets are custom made.

Roughbeak

I'm not saying any team will "win", but look at the differences. :D

TW's No4

FE's No4

volcol

That's not in in engine render but we can achieve that in engine given a little time. We value realism enormously and spend a LOT of time on our models, the amount of research that went into the Enfield was huge. Same with the Kar98k, we're paying attention to details as trivial as the type of wood used... i.e. the Kar98k has a layered laminated stock effect ( as seen http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp89/Post6667/ScopeBackStock.jpg) instead of a solid wood stock which wasn't really in production after 1940.

If I should choose game just by 3d models, I would choose Festung Europe, because I dont like TW's player models and some weapons. But fortunately for you - I'm not that silly to judge games only by it's 3d models.

Roughbeak

If you think about it, has TW shown ingame renders of their characters (there was one I know, but I think it was in CE2)?
If not, Albert, we cannot compare these two games. ;)

William

If I should choose game just by 3d models, I would choose Festung Europe, because I dont like TW's player models and some weapons. But fortunately for you - I'm not that silly to judge games only by it's 3d models.
then you can't say FE is more realistic when you haven't Play Fe ;))))

William

anyways Fe or Tw i guess both games will get good playerbase. cause i think i havent saw any ww II since 2012

ScheifferB

Looking at the wider spectrum, both games are blessed with excellent communities. Thanks for voicing your opinion Albert, everybody's opinions are of course always welcome. I'm hoping by your participation in this forum discussion that you will stick around and give the game a chance, regardless of which you favor.

I have always adhered to a certain motto of 'each to their own' which is why I respect your opinions.

_Franky_

I am sure there is enough fertile ground for both projects to thrive. Besides, a little bit of friendly competition will keep everybody on their toes and ensure that we keep pushing ourselves to deliver the best possible experience to the players out there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.