• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Unlimited Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Apple

It is interesting, I remember seeing this awhile ago.

Is the game industry even really into the idea of this? They never really went into if the job of a texture artist for say, a gun, or, a stove is changed or eliminated. I'd hope its not. All in all though it seams to be a technique applied to the raw environments like trees and stuff.

brrr

TW Developer
It is interesting, I remember seeing this awhile ago.

Is the game industry even really into the idea of this? They never really went into if the job of a texture artist for say, a gun, or, a stove is changed or eliminated. I'd hope its not. All in all though it seams to be a technique applied to the raw environments like trees and stuff.
I seem to remember reading an article saying this sort of voxel rendering doesn't have the ability to be animated well. Hence why everything on the demo is fixed and static. Even if this were implemented into a game it would be most likely that weapons and characters would need to be made using regular poly and texture work so that animation could take place.

There's also a lot of funny comments accusing the makers of the technology of swindling the Australian government into funding this questionable project.

Sir Apple

Ah, thats funny lol.

I think its a good 'idea', but honestly there isn't anything wrong with the current techniques done to create assets in current game engines. Cry Engine 3 for instance looks amazing, but obviously if you put a textured tree up to a completely 3-Dimensional tree, the total 3d tree is going to look better.

It seems like this would lengthen the process as well.

Oh, not to mention this method would require Autodesk to do a lot of coding and re-scripting to make 3ds capable of animating the voxel rendering technique.

Edad Tace

saw that one too - would be an awesome concept if real, but it do sounds like a hell lot of work to make all that geometry

Status
Not open for further replies.