• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Unreal Engine 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man i wish u guys were creating this for the Unreal Engine then i could help you out looking fooooooking awesome..

wouldnt know where to start start with the cryengine plus i think its all tits and no ass

anyways good luck and i might have to get in an application when my modelling and animation is upto scratch

Peace

Sir Apple

Well Unreal Engine isn't as powerful as Cry Engine...

Plus I personally don't like the way Unreal engine looks, Cry Engine has the upper hand with realism...

;)

Last edited:

Nemesis-Xero

Personally, all the games that I've played on the PC which used the Unreal 3 engine haven't felt finished. And I'm not talking about mods, but fully fledged retail games. So, I'm a little biased against it. :) 'course I don't think I've actually played Unreal 3, heh...

Deltathund3r

Both are really good.
If you use UE3 and are rather good at it.Im sure you will pick up mapping with sandbox fairly quickly.Give it a shot..

Hyncharas

If they did change engines, I would probably prefer it was to Unity3D. Compared to Unreal it's a cheap engine and; if it went commercial, all royalties would go to the team, not the engine's developer with every few thousand copies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
If they did change engines, I would probably prefer it was to Unity3D. Compared to Unreal it's a cheap engine and; if it went commercial, all royalties would go to the team, not the engine's developer with every few thousand copies.

We have no plans to move engine at this time. CE2 is perfect for what we want to do at this stage. Unity3D does look impressive though for what is effectively a low-budget engine compared to some of the heavy weights around like CE and UE.

Hyncharas

Yeah I know, I'm just new to the forums and thought I'd put in my own opinion. I'm just laying out the cons of UE, which I've found detrimental to indie gaming.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Yeah I know, I'm just new to the forums and thought I'd put in my own opinion. I'm just laying out the cons of UE, which I've found detrimental to indie gaming.

Foolishly I forgot before to say "Welcome to the community". So welcome! ;)

Your quite right of course about UE it is expensive although I haven't looked at Unity in enough detail to know how well it competes with the UDK prices.

PS. I've fixed your UK flag which was broken for some reason.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
UDK is free if you release as a Free to Play - you can alternatively sell a UDK game but there are strings attached like a on-release payment to Epic and royalties from the sales.

Hyncharas

I will say one thing for UE3, however. I've worked with a few engines and I like Unity just as much as CE2, probably because the toolsets are incredibly similar in a lot of places. Though there are some engines I would rather do without... this includes SOURCE, which is an absolute pain to master!

If the choice had been between SOURCE and UE3, I would most likely have picked the latter as it's more user-friendly.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I'm very familiar with the Source-engine though, not that I've looked at UE3 and it's SDK, and my opinion is that Source is more user-friendly. But then again, I haven't fiddled with UE3.

Maniche

DURLi

heh, source was my first engine,and i created a lot of stuff there, ftom maps up to weapons and textures :)

nanophage

Having used source,UDK, and cryengine myself I can say I much prefer cryEngine over all 3 of those choices. Unity I've looked into but have never used, though it does look good.

The issue with source is that its made to handle more linear levels then what you can achieve with CryEngine2. Like UDK its possible to design them open ended but its a HUGE hassel compared to in CryEngine2. CryEngine is made with large open environments in mind and is well suited to such a mod as tractionWars.

Also, if your going for realism as far as render graphics goes, you won't beat CryEngine2 without a lot of additional programming. Why take the time to do that when it already exists in CryEngine2?

Ret0102

I"m a big fan of both UDK and CryEngine, I think they both bring there own unique feel to any individual working on whatever scale project they might be working on. As far as CryEngine goes with looks it's got unreal beaten by a small margin, I've seen some pretty amazing stuff come out of UDK, but at the same Time CryEngine is just more powerful, but unstable in the FreeSDK development stage, Either way I'm looking forward to TractionWars!

fastArms

Hey guys just signed upto the forum and checking things out.
Also just started downloading CryEngine so guna have a play around see if Im any decent @ it.
Love WW2 fps games and a really good WW2 fps game is missing currently.
Been maping in mohaa, cod1, cod2 & cod4 and fiddled around in waw map editor so be interesting going into a new engine to see what I will be capable of doing :D.
Lookin good so far guys keep up the good work

fastArms

This my latest map I made in COD4 that I haven't uploaded to all the sites yet cause been doing beta testing with it on cybergamer which is the Australia & New Zealand community site for online gaming.

mp_urban

Minimap

And some screens if you dont have cod4

Status
Not open for further replies.