• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Usable doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

I saw that Squad will be implementing usable doors; initially you'll be able to open and close them, but later you'll be able to lock and breach doors...

"Another exciting system that we're working on is one for Doors, which will allow players to dynamically open and close passages, and further down the track, breach or even lock them. For now the system is in its infancy and we will be iterating on them well into the future."

Here's how usable doors could be implemented in TW; you can close and open doors, and there are two ways of opening them. You can push them open, and kick them open. Pushing would be slower because you should have to lower your weapon and push them open with your left hand, and the pushing shouldn't be too fast; kicking would be faster because you're just kicking the door in, but if you kick a door in it should become partially unhinged, and you shouldn't be able to close it. Attempting to open the door of a non-enterable house wouldn't do anything, or it could have a brief animation of leaning into the door with no effect, or whatever.

Anyway, just an idea for the future. Perhaps we can wait and see how Squad implements usable doors, and discuss from there. It would be a pretty awesome feature :) I think a dev mentioned something related to doors a few months ago? Not sure.

February 2016- Squad

FlyingR

An idea for the doors, basically what [MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION] said.

Let's say to open the door you have to press "E", so there could be two ways of opening/closing a door:

One is pressing "E" and the door springs open and "E" again to close it. This is the way that most of the games do it.

The other way would be holding "E" where you open/push slowly the door and release "E" to make the door close slowly as well. One of the great advantages of this would be stealth so if you open/close the door slowly it would be quieter than if you open/close the door fast.

Subass39

An idea for the doors, basically what @Aniallator said.

Let's say to open the door you have to press "E", so there could be two ways of opening/closing a door:

One is pressing "E" and the door springs open and "E" again to close it. This is the way that most of the games do it.

The other way would be holding "E" where you open/push slowly the door and release "E" to make the door close slowly as well. One of the great advantages of this would be stealth so if you open/close the door slowly it would be quieter than if you open/close the door fast.
Good ideas

But you forgot one of the most coolest ways to open a door......by kicking it!

Sprinting at a door would be a good way to make this happen

Feldmeijer

You guys do seem to forget that this is a game which will include HM's finest men-at-arms, so they would obviously politely knock on a door before opening it.

Aniallator

An idea for the doors, basically what @Aniallator said.

Yeah, a quieter way of opening doors is what I meant by pushing. IMO three ways of opening doors is over the top, so; pressing whatever key when standing before a door of an enterable house (doing so when crouched or prone shouldn't have any effect) would kick the door open, while holding whatever key would push it open.

Kicking would, of course, be faster than pushing; to push a door open, your character would take their weapon into their left hand and use their right to turn the knob and push it... it'd be slower and would prevent the player from using their weapon until their right hand is back on their weapon (making pistols excellent for door opening, being one handed), but it's far quieter than kicking. IMO, kicking a door should unhinge it and thus not allow players to close it, and as far as closing is concerned, a single animation where the player uses their left hand to push the door closed is fine.

FlyingR

Yeah, a quieter way of opening doors is what I meant by pushing. IMO three ways of opening doors is over the top, so; pressing whatever key when standing before a door of an enterable house (doing so when crouched or prone shouldn't have any effect) would kick the door open, while holding whatever key would push it open.

Kicking would, of course, be faster than pushing; to push a door open, your character would take their weapon into their left hand and use their right to turn the knob and push it... it'd be slower and would prevent the player from using their weapon until their right hand is back on their weapon (making pistols excellent for door opening, being one handed), but it's far quieter than kicking. IMO, kicking a door should unhinge it and thus not allow players to close it, and as far as closing is concerned, a single animation where the player uses their left hand to push the door closed is fine.

I understand that three ways of opening the door is too much but I think it would either be that or have the options of either opening slowly or opening fast (like in most games).

Kicking a door is, in my opinion, impractical. If you kick the door open and there's enemy behind that door, you will die. If you open the door like in most games, where you open the door and you can move behind the wall, it's safer and smarter because you don't expose yourself, you can slowly scan the room before you enter and you can throw grenades.

I think the above-mentioned method and opening the door slowly should be the standard but it would be really cool to have those two plus kicking the door, so it would be:
Hold "E" for slowly opening
Press "E" once for opening the door normally
Press "E" more than 2 times for kicking the door

Aniallator

I understand that three ways of opening the door is too much but I think it would either be that or have the options of either opening slowly or opening fast (like in most games).

Kicking a door is, in my opinion, impractical. If you kick the door open and there's enemy behind that door, you will die. If you open the door like in most games, where you open the door and you can move behind the wall, it's safer and smarter because you don't expose yourself, you can slowly scan the room before you enter and you can throw grenades.

I think the above-mentioned method and opening the door slowly should be the standard but it would be really cool to have those two plus kicking the door, so it would be:
Hold "E" for slowly opening
Press "E" once for opening the door normally
Press "E" more than 2 times for kicking the door

I can see that, though to warrant a slow opening method it'd have to be pretty slow, like at least four seconds between grabbing the doorknob and opening the door fully; slow opening should be quieter than normal opening as well, less creaking. Anyway, when you open a door you're standing in front of it, it's not opening very fast, and you can't use your weapon, so you're totally exposed; kicking is a lot faster and more sudden (the cracking of the door being kicked and unhinged could help stun enemies within as well), and because you're bashing the door in with your right foot both hands are on your weapon, so you can still use it (though again, you could use pistols when pushing a door open because they're used one handed).

Status
Not open for further replies.