• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

"Vanilla" Gameplay allowed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esu21

I know is early to ask this,but: after Chapter 2 and the next ones come will we be able to play "vanilla" like battles?

Now,let me explain. For Chapter 1 it will be slow-paced infantry combat only,with a lot of tactics 'n stuff. Then tanks,paratroopers,etc will appear in game and combats will have then,but lets say some people prefer combats with exact things in a exact map. Like just infantry. Or just tanks. For example: a Battle of the Bulge map but only tanks. Will it be possible? Just on certain maps?

VonMudra

There was never a battle in which ONLY tanks took part, so no. Tanks will be realistically represented in quantities appropriate to the actual battle and to how much infantry was involved. In the end, for even tank-dominate battles like Arracourt, there was still plenty of infantry right alongside them. That said, I would like to see us eventually expand and contract map sizes to have maps suited to larger and smaller player counts/server sizes, with smaller maps probably having a minimum or no tanks at all, a la FH2.

Sydd

eeeh. I am struggling to understand what you are trying to say, Am I correct in assuming that you actually want episode 1 maps but different modes in it? for example: tank warfare on pegasus bridge?

If that's the case, I highly doubt there will be any such customization. Because the devs are implementing things accurately, if there were tanks in a particular area historically, then it will be so in the game. For example: We all know that at a certain point tanks will be implemented in the game however, during the initial stages of the war, tanks were primitive so don't expect to see tiger 2s and Jagdpanthers in a map where realistically speaking only blitzkrieg era tanks such as pz 1-3s existed. (the short barreled 75mm guns on the early pz4 variants as well) so everything will be mapped according to historical accuracy and realism.

Edit: The Dragon got to you before I did...

Esu21

Yea,I meant in maps where there could be customization. Like forest maps or so,so we could make tanks only matches for WoT lovers or infantry only matches for people who like tactics like in Insurgency.

You said no to "tanks only" matches (is fine meanwhile there are matches that are centered in tanks even if theres infantry,I love tank battles :p) but what about the infantry only matches after Chapter 2? For people who could think that tanks or planes ruin the tactical gameplay or for people who want,like I said before,a Insurgency-like experience. Sorry if I dont explain myself pretty well [MENTION=2672]Sydd[/MENTION] ;) and thanks for the answers.

Aniallator

Well, not all maps will have tanks ;) Merville Battery, for example. It won't be like H&G, where all maps have tanks just because there are tanks in the game. I'm sure, as well, that there'll be some more tank-centered maps in the future.

SpaceCroissant

You said no to "tanks only" matches (is fine meanwhile there are matches that are centered in tanks even if theres infantry,I love tank battles :p) but what about the infantry only matches after Chapter 2? For people who could think that tanks or planes ruin the tactical gameplay or for people who want,like I said before,a Insurgency-like experience..

I'm sure it's something we'll consider. Personally I like the idea of having the option to not have tanks.

Sydd

Well, that's totally a ..........bad idea. :p

Nah, it's actually a good idea, offering flexibility such as infantry centred or armored warfare focused will actually be quite fun. And I get the feeling there will be a lot of complains about tanks being op so those poor souls will be asking for infantry only maps in the future, that's for damn sure.

FlyingR

When I talked about mods many of you guys were like "why would we do this?" I believe that the team should stick atm with the Chapters (unless they want to do it and things like these ideas that you say are also simple to make), allowing community members to do other modding!

PegasusArnhem

Hi there - new to this forum, so not exactly sure where to post this question, but it seems under this section might be relevant. I am a huge fan of the old school Call Of Duty series (Like Point De Hoc missions etc) where you were in the midst of an actual real historical battle. That is why this really appeals to me and Arnhem and D-Day are my two main theatres of interest - I would actually like to see the biggest maps possible, so your units can literally fight all the way from the drop zone, co-op style, to the bridge (Arnhem) or from the 7 Para drop zones, north of Ranville to Pegasus and then into the villages of Benouville / Le Port which they fought to keep the Germans away from the bridges.

My question is this - is this game only going to be an on line affair where I am going to be fighting against 13 year old wombles who have been playing this all week and have untold access to amazing weaponry, or is it going to be a much more realistic and measured affair, plus will there will be solo scenario game play, where you can play on the map against a computer opponent with actual objectives and less of a capture the flag mentality.

I think a game of this type is sorely needed and I would certainly give it my full support - it there is a sticky which gives me an overview of the game and its full intentions could someone show me the link? Much thanks

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Hi, [MENTION=3101]PegasusArnhem[/MENTION], and welcome to Forum! I'll try and answer some of your questions but I reckon someone else might pitch in as well.

I would actually like to see the biggest maps possible, so your units can literally fight all the way from the drop zone, co-op style, to the bridge (Arnhem) or from the 7 Para drop zones, north of Ranville to Pegasus and then into the villages of Benouville / Le Port which they fought to keep the Germans away from the bridges.

If I understood correctly, you're wondering whether or not you can start at map X and move on to map Y in the same "map" (like a bigger campaign) sort of? If so, I'm afraid it won't happen, as we're already pushing the capabilities of both the engine and the hardware necessary to run it within an acceptable performance. To talk technical; we're aiming for a highly detailed world in open landscapes with tons of room to maneuver around on, and with bigger maps comes the problem of less accuracy.

To give it an example, a bullet shot from point A towards point B on a for instance, a 16x16 map could, unfortunately, experience some calculation problems on the server-side of things and you could experience problems hitting your target. This is only true for vastly bigger maps, but you get the idea.

Is this game only going to be an on line affair where I am going to be fighting against 13 year old wombles who have been playing this all week and have untold access to amazing weaponry

It's entirely online, yes, but don't expect to see any unlocks! We don't believe in that model, and we want an immersive, realistic but fun take on weaponry and mechanics. Having unlocks doesn't seem to fit either.

or is it going to be a much more realistic and measured affair, plus will there will be solo scenario game play, where you can play on the map against a computer opponent with actual objectives and less of a capture the flag mentality.

It will be a much more realistic affair, yes. People have been asking for some sort of single player gameplay but for the time being we're focusing entirely on getting the multiplayer part done. It might be something we'll look into later on, but that's just speculation for now. AI is an interesting idea but from my personal experience, they provide more headache than the fun you get from playing against real people, though it's doable for multiplayer actually!

I think a game of this type is sorely needed and I would certainly give it my full support - it there is a sticky which gives me an overview of the game and its full intentions could someone show me the link? Much thanks

We've covered some in our recent Road to OVERLORD series (Part 1/3, Part 2/3), where we describe and reveal some of the core mechanics and ideas behind the first iteration of the game.

Hope it answers some of your questions!

Maniche

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Hi, @PegasusArnhem, and welcome to Forum! I'll try and answer some of your questions but I reckon someone else might pitch in as well.

To give it an example, a bullet shot from point A towards point B on a for instance, a 16x16 map could, unfortunately, experience some calculation problems on the server-side of things and you could experience problems hitting your target. This is only true for vastly bigger maps, but you get the idea.

Glad you guys are sticking with Cry Engine though. Hopefully with Star Citizen pushing CryTek to do BiggerThings[SUP]TM [/SUP]we might see a viable (and built in!) solution to this problem one day. Of course the problem is then that the whole infrastructure to support the game servers would have to be much more complicated, meaning it might only be possible to implement it in a fully commercial version of Traction Wars...

Aristle

there was still plenty of infantry right alongside them. That said, I would like to see us eventually expand and contract map sizes to have maps suited to larger and smaller player counts/server sizes, with smaller maps probably having a minimum or no tanks at all, a la FH2.

So, will there be AI infantry or tanks?

Last edited:

FlyingR

Not any time soon Tintin. First they want to focus on multiplayer, then expand it, followed by vehicles, and much later on, AI/single player.

FlyingR

"Vanilla" Gameplay allowed?

Would you actually consider it though? As in doing either Co-op or Single Player? Much much later of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.