• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

[website issue] My profile doesn't log out automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanMz

Sorry about posting here. Don't know where else to put it atm. Mods, please move it if necessary.

So, i noticed that after a couple days of inactivity and my pc being turned off, i came back to traction wars website and i was still logged on. How is this possible ? Never seen anything like it...
Shouldn't it log off automatically immediately when i close the browser ? :confused:

Thanks

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
It depends on how you logged in and whether you ticked the box saying remember me. The cookie used to authenticate your login won't time out if you've opted to have the login remembered.

It's a default vBulletin behaviour - not one we've introduced so it should be the same as many other large Forums.

litchu

Never seen anything like it...

Unless you always browse in incognito that's not how things work by default. As General Naga explained there are cookies ( not the eatable ones, but just small strings which are saved on your browser ). When you close your browser and/or shut down your PC and turn it back those cookies will still be saved in the browser and the website can tell you're still logged in. When you log out of the website it will delete the login cookie so you can be authenticated anymore which means you have to log in again.

Sydd

[edit naga already replied.. ]

:laugh:
I actually find the remember me thing very convenient cause forums like World Of tanks have this really irritating tendency to forget my log in details even after I clicked remember me. Btw, I wonder if maniche likes my chrome's cookies as well..
Anyways, why would you even want to log out? I mean 99% of the forums I've been to have the remember me feature and there's a log out button if there's a need to log out for any reason.

JanMz

Ofcourse I have profiles set up at many sites throughout the interweb, but I really haven't come across this behavior before. And I have "remember me" set at pretty much every one of these sites. But neither will keep me logged in after I've turned off the PC.
Ha, wasn't aware this was even possible...Well, learn smth new every day. :) Thanks for explaining.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Im on the other hand find it rather annoying when I have to re-type my password 12-15 times a day to same 3 forums because they log me off every hour...

litchu

Some browsers have an option for you to clear all your cookies when you close your browser. Maybe you guys have that option checked and it can be easily fixed by unchecking it under setting -> advanced -> content ( atleast, that's where it is in chrome )?

Status
Not open for further replies.