• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Welrod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BushElito

Welrod?
Welrod.

I have no idea why, but I realy like this weapon.
Must be because of sniper elite v2 and Soldiers: Heroes of the world war 2...

So question is, is it going to be added to game or is planned to be added? Or it isn't historical to add it?

If there would be caps in this game, then going commando/stealth mode would be my go-to thing.

Btw, search didn't give me anything.

Sydd

Urm it was known to be used by OSS operatives on the field as far as I know... heck, I am not even sure. But considering how this game wont have oss operatives... I highly doubt it will make an appearance in the game, only a few thousands were ever made anyways...

Sydd

Oh.
Ok...

Wonder if Shovel commando (i.e. going only melee) would be possible in this game.

I know for a fact that there are bayonets in the game so it will be possible for you to go kill things with melee. Not so sure about the shovel tho'

Aniallator

Oh.
Ok...

Wonder if Shovel commando (i.e. going only melee) would be possible in this game.

I don't think there'll be shovels in TW (as a combat weapon, they were more of a WW1 thing), however TW will have proper bayonets that can be fixed and unfixed from your rifle, and a combat knife for classes not issued bayonets (MGs, SMGs, et cetera).

Crackonosh

I wanted to BURN or smth ya, but then I realised I´m not on HnG forum and this game is WIP. Oh god, WTF is happening to me :confused:

VonMudra

He is indeed correct. Shovels were very very commonly used in combat in WW1, and it was generally standard to keep one edge sharpened to use as an axe in hand to hand. The sharpening didn't continue into WW2, but still, shovels were used in hand to hand combat at times.

Crackonosh

"Ya know, it was mostly easier to kill than with friggin´ bayonet."

Thats where my no come from.

Ugh, when ya want to kill one with bayonet, it's mostly not kill and can easily stuck in da body. But when ya hit someone between neck and shoulder with sharpened shovel, ***** gets cutted in half.

DerJoachim

Ugh, when ya want to kill one with bayonet, it's mostly not kill and can easily stuck in da body. But when ya hit someone between neck and shoulder with sharpened shovel, ***** gets cutted in half.

When you want to kill one with shovel, you have to get close enough to him and aim at his neck and hope to to break him, and hope not to get stabbed, with bayonet you have far more reach and if you stab in the correct parts believe me the bayonet is far more deadly, if anyone can confirm me one hit kills with shovels ever existed.

It is like comparing a short club with a polearm. in WW1 the shovels was widely used because....guess what??? they fought 90% of times inside trenches, you dig trenches with shovels.

Or tell me, did the Yankees charged Gettysburg graveyards with shovels or with bayonets???

I stick with military commissioners and historians, why the reason the bayonets are still used as of today, in a different way ofcourse.

Im not denyng that shovels are deadly and have theyr uses in combat, but to say it is easier to kill with a shovel, or to say a bayonet is less effective, well you are just desecrating Lord Gibbon , Basil Liddell Hart graves...

Romans preferred stab weapons over blunt weapons, thats why the Gladio was made that way, they mocked the Gallic hordes because they used theyr longswords to slash and club, while the most effective way to kill people is to stab them, thats why the Gladio existed, thats why bayonets exist and are still used, thats why the Shovel was made to dig trenches.(or graves)

Aniallator

When you want to kill one with shovel, you have to get close enough to him and aim at his neck and hope to to break him, and hope not to get stabbed, with bayonet you have far more reach and if you stab in the correct parts believe me the bayonet is far more deadly, if anyone can confirm me one hit kills with shovels ever existed.

It is like comparing a short club with a polearm. in WW1 the shovels was widely used because....guess what??? they fought 90% of times inside trenches, you dig trenches with shovels.

Or tell me, did the Yankees charged Gettysburg graveyards with shovels or with bayonets???

I stick with military commissioners and historians, why the reason the bayonets are still used as of today, in a different way ofcourse.

Im not denyng that shovels are deadly and have theyr uses in combat, but to say it is easier to kill with a shovel, or to say a bayonet is less effective, well you are just desecrating Lord Gibbon , Basil Liddell Hart graves...

Romans preferred stab weapons over blunt weapons, thats why the Gladio was made that way, they mocked the Gallic hordes because they used theyr longswords to slash and club, while the most effective way to kill people is to stab them, thats why the Gladio existed, thats why bayonets exist and are still used, thats why the Shovel was made to dig trenches.(or graves)

In the confines of trench warfare, a shovel was more manageable than a bayonet, and was equally deadly; a hit to the throat with the sharpened edge of a shovel could sever half your head.

VonMudra

Well I am a historian, in real life, and I am telling you that there is heavy historical evidence that shovels were considered a much more effective tool in trench warfare in WW1 than bayonets. Bayonets were long, unwieldy, and hard to use, as well as generally not very sharp (they were meant to be used with a massive weight, the gun, on them to provide mass to force them through). Since it was already tough to do hand to hand combat in a crowded trench, and move around to do it, it was next to impossible to us anything with length. The Germans quickly learned that rifles themselves were next to useless on the attack, and would go into attack even as early as 1915/16 with rifles slung on their backs, only carrying pistols, shovels, clubs, grenades, and MG ammunition in their hands. This is one of the reasons soldiers used shovels, private bought trench knives (the Austrians actually just gave up and issued standard trench knives that were worn next to the bayonets), and purpose built trench clubs.

VonMudra

German sturmtruppen in 1915, from the experimental 'Gaede' detachment. Note that they, appearing in full combat kit, have no rifles, but do have pistols, grenades, and two of them have their shovels shoved into the front-side of their belts for easy reach.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/12/3614692/the-martial-chronicles-in-the-trenches
I crawled up the trench a few feet and came upon two men trying to strangle each other. I thought, then, of motion pictures I had watched back home. Here was a more terrible drama than ever the movie camera showed. A bayonet charge is a street fight magnified and made ten thousand times more fierce. It becomes on close range almost impossible to use your bayonets. So we fought with fists and feet, and used our guns, when possible, as clubs.

- "Boys' Book of Battles" by Chelsea Curtis Fraser (1919)

For more information, reference Ian Drury (1995). German Stormtrooper 1914–18. Osprey Publishing. p. 61. ISBN 978-1-85532-372-8., Beith, Ian H. (Capt.), Modern Battle Tactics: Address Delivered April 9, 1917, National Service (June 1917), pp. 325, 328,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.