• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

What's the best World War II movie you've ever seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games

Sir Apple

I like a lot of stuff - Objective Burma, Combat! Series, The Longest Day - I like a lot more, in fact I have a large collection of WW2 movies and such.

Also regardless of the issues, I still like The Pacific and Band of Brothers. In my opinion, a show like The Pacific does something better then any movie or show has ever done, and that is capture a true sense of brutality, hatred and an empty void of humanity through war. At least for me, most movies have failed to capture that.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Ima go with The Pianist. I know... the musician likes a film about a piano... Shush your thoughts, it's a good film. I liked the perspective. I tend to prefer WW2 films from the less-than-obvious viewpoint.

Also The Great Escape.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
El Alamein - In the Line of Fire (2002) is a great movie indeed. I believe it's even on YT. Furthermore there's Stalingrad (1993), very gritty war movie. The Longest Day (1962) is just the true classic of the war movies.

Roughbeak

Haha I actually own Stalag 17.

Not that this is historically accurate or a movie per say, but "Hogans Heroes" are one of the best when it comes to WW2-Humor.

Schrubber

"The Longest Day" is a great one, my personal favourites are the german anti-war movies "Stalingrad" and "Das Boot".

Oprah

Also, I'd recommend a Korean film called "My Way." It's about 2 Koreans who serve in the Japanese army, then get captured by the Soviets, run away and then get captured by Nazis.
The story is based on an actual soldier that served on 3 sides in WW2 (Japanese, Soviets, Germans) and then got captured by American paratroopers in '44

It's one of those movies that tries to display the horrors of war, without going absolutely over the top with gore.
I'm not really a movie person, but that's one of the few movies I love.

Pleznt

I can't say, but my favourite scene is from the Pacific series, when Sledge calls in the mortar strike on the hut, when he goes to examine the target zone he finds an Okinawa woman bleeding out with her child, she is begging him to save her child, shoot her.
before that he was taught that they wer all Japanese and wer all were savages, so it desensitizes the soldiers to shoot without thinking they are killing another person. until he see this woman bleeding out, crying for her child in the agony she is in, you can see that Sledge suddenly realises that these are also human beings, and he just doesn't have it in him to put her out her misery.
It showed me even though the enemy may be the target there is always room for compassion.
A whole lot of people were mislead during WW2 because of mass media.
We watch these films and we should always remember not to glorify the killing of innocent people, yet the killing goes on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.