• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

will all building be enterable when game is official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will all buildings be enterable when game is official

like to be able to make use of all fighting positions on the map in any building that's made ready.

Last edited:

Mars

Pathfinder Games
Re: Will all buildings be enterable when game is official

Not all buildings, no.

Roughbeak

It will get a bit hectic if all the buildings were open, we need those physical proxies. ;)

William

Hey! mate too long! How you been btw join my Infantry ;)

FlyingR

Will windows and doors be able to open and close??

brrr

TW Developer

that's depressing

Well you have to understand that if all buildings were enterable, it would be detrimental to game-play. If for example British players were attacking a village defended by 10 Germans, and the village consisted of say 16 buildings, all of which are enterable - then the players fighting in that village would be very spread out from one another, meaning less combat encounters, and the ones you would encounter in that hypothetical situation would be 1 on 1, or 2 on 2 encounters - which is a little boring. If we can focus the players, almost into purposely constructed combat zones then more interesting gameplay is developed.

But yes we will have structures that you can enter, it varies between locations but your probably looking at 25-35% of structures will be enterable. And the enterable structures will have open and close doors.

Well you have to understand that if all buildings were enterable, it would be detrimental to game-play. If for example British players were attacking a village defended by 10 Germans, and the village consisted of say 16 buildings, all of which are enterable - then the players fighting in that village would be very spread out from one another, meaning less combat encounters, and the ones you would encounter in that hypothetical situation would be 1 on 1, or 2 on 2 encounters - which is a little boring. If we can focus the players, almost into purposely constructed combat zones then more interesting gameplay is developed.

But yes we will have structures that you can enter, it varies between locations but your probably looking at 25-35% of structures will be enterable. And the enterable structures will have open and close doors.

you just described how your going to take the strategy out

FlyingR

brrr, I see where you are coming from, also if all the houses are "enterable", imagine if everybody decided to camp and hide, there would hardly be any activity. However, this is a realistic game, there were many battles where you had to fight house by house in order to capture the city. Back to the camping scenario: A team (or both) should decide that they have to move out and find the enemy if they are currently losing. Despite if there are more houses than players, the better strategist and skilled players will win most times.

One way of focusing the players into the combat zones, it's how you place the capture points/flags and other factors such as style of game-play (death match, conquest, destroy objectives etc). As a player (playing BF42, 2, FH, PR, and WWIIO, etc.) there's nothing more annoying than houses that you cannot enter, especially in crucial times.

Honestly though, I won't go berserk if you make all the buildings opened or not, but it would be something very different from almost games out there and could foment quite different, creative and new strategies.

volcol

I think 30-50% of habitation related buildings should be enter able in one shape or form ( be it a damaged wall, open doors etc - whether it be one room or all rooms) We must remember that civilians were still very present in the battles leading on from Normandy. Many civilians would sooner hunker down and await liberation instead of evacuate a battle zone, if they could get away with it anyway - so barricading themselves in was quite common.

As for other buildings, you can expect to see lot of of farm barns/stables/laborers yards/garages that are enter-able, as well as there being gardens and allotment area's.

Bunkers will be fully accessible in one way or another.

Having 100% of buildings totally would offer too much playable space, even for small compact battles. I've played wwiionline for many many years, and some of the smaller towns have a high percentage of buildings enter-able (80-90%). It's interesting, because these battles can still seem sparse and spread out even with 50 players a side contesting the urban area within the village/town.

We have a nice middle ground approach that should offer the best of both options imo.

FlyingR

buildings should be enter able in one shape or form ( be it a damaged wall, open doors etc - whether it be one room or all rooms)
As for other buildings, you can expect to see lot of of farm barns/stables/laborers yards/garages that are enter-able, as well as there being gardens and allotment area's.
Bunkers will be fully accessible in one way or another.

This is what I wanted to hear! That's great! :)

We must remember that civilians were still very present in the battles leading on from Normandy. Many civilians would sooner hunker down and await liberation instead of evacuate a battle zone, if they could get away with it anyway - so barricading themselves in was quite common.

Yes, that is true, but if either the Allies or Axis wanted to enter the house because of whichever reason, they would've done so in an instant and without hesitation?

Having 100% of buildings totally would offer too much playable space, even for small compact battles. I've played wwiionline for many many years, and some of the smaller towns have a high percentage of buildings enter-able (80-90%). It's interesting, because these battles can still seem sparse and spread out even with 50 players a side contesting the urban area within the village/town. We have a nice middle ground approach that should offer the best of both options imo.

The thing with WWIIO is that it's an organized free for all, sort of... I mean you have the squad leader 2 kms away and other members wherever... but all going to the same objective. If the game has a squad system similar to PR, the type of game-play would be different and then it would be really important to have open buildings.You're not spread out like WWIIO, you are all close to the SQL in a line or whatever. Having the houses "enterable" give a possibility for everybody to cover as well as to find shooting positions for all players so no need for 5 players to cluster in a window like in WWIIO, PR or BF42 due to limited amount of open buildings.

It would be better if some buildings were harder to enter to (due to barricades like you mentioned). Maybe nobody would bother to enter, but being able to do so (with C4, a kick to the door or whatever) would be excellent and by having many options can make the players create different strategies into gaining the flag, so it's not always the same!

Esu21

Another important unanswered thing: Will we be able to interact with the terrain? I mean,will we be able to open and close doors,windows, to open holes with grenades,and when going on vehicles to break down things like thin walls and small trees?

Mars

Pathfinder Games

I'm not going to repeat what brrr and volcol said, but I absolutely agree with them. When I look at our building statics I think the Art team has been quite generous with the number of enterable buildings personally :p From a design POV we're trying to promote frequent gun-on-gun gameplay, and if everyone's holed up in a building our levels are going to feel really empty.

Will windows and doors be able to open and close??

We have no plans to implement that, no. It would have to be network based so that would mean more testing, but it's something to prototype for sure :)

Another important unanswered thing: Will we be able to interact with the terrain? I mean,will we be able to open and close doors,windows, to open holes with grenades,and when going on vehicles to break down things like thin walls and small trees?

We're not focusing on any destructibility, I suppose it could happen in the future but everyone's tied up with the more critical tasks right now. I would love deformable terrain, it was in CryENGINE 2 but it's a deprecated feature now :(

Mars

Pathfinder Games

Not for Chapter One. We'll be discussing in detail the features we're bringing to Traction Wars in future updates quite soon.

Esu21

Not for Chapter One. We'll be discussing in detail the features we're bringing to Traction Wars in future updates quite soon.

I just hope that when tanks come to the game mine won't explode while hitting a bush xD

agus92

I have another concern, will be able to switch on and off the lights? That could be really handy, especially in the little building on the bridge.

FlyingR

I have another concern, will be able to switch on and off the lights? That could be really handy, especially in the little building on the bridge.

That is not a bad idea at all, but I don't think it will be implemented, at least in Chapter 1. It would be cool to interact with things like the lights, windows, doors, etc.

Esu21

That is not a bad idea at all, but I don't think it will be implemented, at least in Chapter 1. It would be cool to interact with things like the lights, windows, doors, etc.

At the end it will be like trying to see someone in the middle of a smoke grenade in action...oh God

Status
Not open for further replies.