• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Calling in supplies & other assets

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

Perhaps there could be a system where the commander of each team can call in various assets like supplies, extra vehicles, etc?

It sounds cool in theory, but wouldn't it be a gamebreaker if a troll gets their hands on the commander role, or just someone sufficiently incompetent (like myself), it would severely cripple their team, which wouldn't be very fun.

BrokenArrow

How would it cripple your team? And if it would be that huge of a problem, you could make it a clan only thing i suppose.

VonMudra

There were very very few battles in WW2 where supplies were air dropped. Generally encirclement type things, and even then they weren't dropping in the middle of a battle. So this isn't gonna happen.

Alex

There were very very few battles in WW2 where supplies were air dropped. Generally encirclement type things, and even then they weren't dropping in the middle of a battle. So this isn't gonna happen.
As for after Overlord when the planes could make an appearing, will we ever see the option to airdrop supplies from air at all? Like, you flying a C-47 over a battlefield or something? But if this goes with the criteria you just explained, sorry for the double-post then. :|

blurr22

Or we could have actual players drive trucks carrying soldiers and supplies to and from the front lines which would make it faster and would also put some use to troop transport vehicles.

How would it cripple your team? And if it would be that huge of a problem, you could make it a clan only thing i suppose.
Because if the other team had an adaquete commander, the other team would better use it as a sort of force multiplier, if you can drop tanks as mentioned.

Though, Mudra said it isn't happening anyway because of historical accuracy's sake, so there's that too.

Miller

the supply truck could also be both AI driven or player driven. Lets say that the slot for the supply truck or any other way to transport the supply is empty, so an ai could take over that slot until someone enters that certain slot. I think that would be a nice touch.

Miller

the AI well not only take over the empty player slot but also it will follow any orders, such as; if someone needs or commands a ammunition truck to a certain location or group, then the AI that is driving the truck well go to that corresponding location or group. so basically it would do what a player will do when given an order. P.S. Kinda hard to explain.:laugh:

Swaffy

I just like the supply truck idea. Let the players control it, the bots can cause an endless number of bugs. And don't forget, bots driving vehicles might cause gameplay to become less enjoyable in some cases, as bots have a lot of limits regarding strategies and movements. A bot driving a supply truck might get stuck in an idle state, or drive into a pole and keep driving forward, or simply ignore commands. It can put stress on the players and on the development team. So having a human behind the wheel will increase the use of strategy and teamwork while reducing possible game bugs and player frustration.

I play BF 1942 and it sucks when bots drive into a wall then drive back and forth two inches until they die. The AI in the game was advanced for that time (2002) but still has some annoyances here and there.

Miller

yea, but i think the CE3 AI system is way better then BF 1942 AI, but it depends on the programmer. Yea i get that players are better then a AI but i think having an AI as a place holder for a slot for players might be useful, so the game doesn't seem too empty.

Roughbeak

I used to have the "ai follow path" pretty well done, but now with the sort of new SDK I cannot do it anymore. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.