• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Dev Blog #25: Developer Interview - VonMudra

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaverickFM

Pathfinder Games
In this week's post, we thought we would continue with our series of Dev interview. This week its our scholarly researcher VonMudra!

What drew you to get involved with Traction Wars and what is your role within the team?
"Fuchs, the other researcher on the team, knew me through the Forgotten Hope 2 Forums as well as a gaming clan for FH2. He came to me about TW and I signed up pretty quickly. My role is as a researcher and general-know-it-all. I basically handle all the historical questions needed by the developers, like weaponry, map design, gameplay ideas, and other issues. I also do a lot of talking with the community."

What fascinates you about WWII?
"Since I could read I was fascinated by history, but it wasn't until high school that I really branched out to encompass something more than US Civil War history. In college I originally went in thinking I would study German WW1 and WW2 history, but by my senior year I had effectively changed focus over to Eastern Europe and Poland, mostly out of a feeling of mystery towards nations that aren't very well represented in academia in the USA. Sadly, this means it has been very difficult for me to get into a PhD program, as funding simply is non-existent for Eastern European studies since the end of the Cold War. I also do lots of reenacting, mainly WW1 and 2, as a variety of nations."

How did you come to accumulate your knowledge?
"I currently hold a Master of Arts with Distinction, and am pursuing a PhD in history. I mostly study Polish inter-war memory and cultural history, centered around World War Two and the Second Republic, but I do also dabble in Economic History, as well as late 19th Century and WW1 history."

Why did you choose to study German and Eastern European rather than the allied war?
"In high school I took German as my language course- mostly to be different from all the kids who wanted to do Spanish (growing up in Southern California, that DOES make sense though). That obviously led to the interest in German history, and of course a good chunk of German history is them going to war with other nations. While I do enjoy German WW2 history (and have reenacting German WW2 soldiers), I actually like WW1 German history better, maybe because it is a lot easier to explain that interest when there aren't terrible war-crimes around every corner. As for Eastern Europe, that came heavily out of the dearth of Eastern European study in the USA, especially in Southern California. There wasn't even an Eastern Europeanist on campus- just a German and Russian historian who were expected to, as I was told, 'overlap.' I found this rather worrying, and quickly got into Polish history as an area that is heavily understudied, but also heavily mythologized."

What is your most rewarding experience on the team so far?
"I would have to say either seeing my advice and opinions taken in to account towards making this game realistic in terms of weaponry being used, or simply interacting with the community and helping answer questions and educate people about history. On one hand, it is wonderful to see such things as the Lebel and other captured equipment in game, and being represented in a way that I don't think any game has done (even FH2). It will be fascinating to see the wider reaction to this as the game is released and non-forum goers are educated as to the real equipment issues the German army faced in Normandy. On the other hand, being that I am pursuing academia and higher education as a life-goal, it is simply wonderful to help teach people on the forums about WW2 and other history in general."

What is your favourite part of the game so far?
"My favourite thing in the game so far is definitely going to be the suppression system. I think we'll blow just about every MP WW2 game out of the water with that, and it is absolutely going to make combat a lot more realistic. But, of course, that is all I can really say at the moment!"

What is your favourite cookie?
"Red Velvet with white chocolate chips and cream cheese frosting. And it better be chewy and moist, damnit!"

Recruitment Spotlight

C++ PROGRAMMER

Programmers work as a team at the heart of the game development. The individual role of programmers varies from the core game mechanics to more discrete but nonetheless essential back-end services. Experience in C++ is essential but not necessarily in CRYENGINE. If you would be interested in joining our Coding Department and applying your programming experience to Traction Wars then you can find out more details and apply to join the team on our recruitment page.

We will be back in two weeks time with another update but in the meantime you can find us on social media from the links below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aniallator

Mudra, human? Please! Everyone know's he's a member of a race of super intelligent beings from Vega 6. How else could he have such a huge brain?

Red Velvet with white chocolate chips and cream cheese frosting. And it better be chewy and moist, damnit!

That is not a cookie. That is the definition of heaven.

FlyingR

Excellent! Now I am intrigued by the suppression fire!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of job career are you going to venture into? Excuse my ignorance but do you have many options a part from being a historian, or just write books and/or teach at a university?

VonMudra

Mudra, human? Please! Everyone know's he's a member of a race of super intelligent beings from Vega 6. How else could he have such a huge brain?

That is not a cookie. That is the definition of heaven.

Actually, I'm a dragon. Can't you see my wings? Gawd, some people are so blind. Next they're gonna tell me I don't actually have a long snout.

And cookie, heaven, eh, same difference.

Excellent! Now I am intrigued by the suppression fire!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of job career are you going to venture into? Excuse my ignorance but do you have many options a part from being a historian, or just write books and/or teach at a university?

Not really, no, which is kinda the hard part. The MA in history doesn't let you do too much- archivist jobs, maybe some adjunct teaching or private school teaching, but it's more seen as a stepping stone to the PhD. So since my area of study is sorely arcane, it makes getting a PhD program...difficult. But yes, my eventual goal is to be a historian, teaching at a university and doing research/writing articles/books for a living. If all goes well with PhD programs some day, you might be picking up and reading books by me off Amazon. ;)

Did I miss the part in the interview where he mentions having a cat?

I don't just have a cat. I have a dignified member of cat royalty, HRFH Basileus Theodolphus I Magnus. Why, here was him yesterday, carrying out formal matters of state importance:

Esu21

I'll be waiting for you to learn Spanish "like everyone else" xD

Really hyped for that suppression effect!

FlyingR

That would be cool to see a book by someone made from TW. I better get a signed copy! :D

I have a dignified member of cat royalty, HRFH Basileus Theodolphus I Magnus.
Yeah yeah yeah we all know you call him Fluffy Muffin when it's eaty time!

Aniallator

You sure that's a cat? It looks to me like the remnants of a fur carpet!

Really looking forward to hearing more about the suppression system! @MaverickFM you could do a whole update about the suppression system at some point!

And is it just me, or are we getting a lot of new members? Coming up on the 3000 mark! Can't wait for my new wallpaper :D

Sydd

Cats. Cats everywhere. I enjoyed that read, I wonder what is so special about the suppression system tho' I don't want to over expect anything and be disappointed later.

Feldmeijer

I never knew that you were so well studied in those areas [MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION]! Perhaps I should send you a cake with hussar wings then. :)

VonMudra

I never knew that you were so well studied in those areas @VonMudra! Perhaps I should send you a cake with hussar wings then. :)

Winged Hussar cake- sounds menacing ;) But yes, I am rather well studied- comes with the territory I suppose. Believe me, there is a lot more to being a historian than just reading books though- a lot of it is training in how to conduct research, how to interpret data, and how to formulate a coherent, cogent argument. You also need to stay abreast of the current questions and research movements in the field, which in of itself can be a challenge.

I thought the dragon was without glasses :p Where are the glasses??

Huh, I don't have too much art of me with glasses, oddly enough. Here, will this suffice?

FlyingR

An Emo, history fanatic, soon-to-be PHD, gamer, cat-lover, (fire-breathing?) dragon WITH glasses? And I though I saw it all... :p

Miller786

we should suck out all mudra's knowledge from his brain and upload it in a new site called mudrapedia, would come in handy at times

FlyingR

Oh honey, if only you know the full story.... ;)

I'm not sure if I want to know... yet I do want to.

By the way, is the train full of gold real? I don't remember, but there are polish people who said they found but authority still hasn't. It's all of it true or just a myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.