• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Firebases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Hi all!

I thought about an idea that would perhaps be a cool and neat thing to have; firebases.

The idea behind a firebase is to establish a mobile spawnpoint, were team-mates can spawn from and anywhere on the battlefield that the point is created.

It would be some balancing regarding how many times players can spawn from the point and how many hit points it perhaps would have, but the basic idea is easy to make.

It's very similar to the "spawn-truck" in Crysis ATM.

Kind regards,
Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
So a section leader could drop a firebase and then his section members could spawn in at that location?

So a bit like a rally point in PRM?

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I guess so, yes.

It's the same thing as the "spawn-truck" in existing Crysis; a player with enough points, can buy a truck and then drive it wherever he want, and players can spawn at this point as well.

Regards,
Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Ah I follow what you mean. In Traction Wars players won't have "buy points" but the idea of having firebases is a good one. Perhaps the commander could deploy a static firebase for the team instead of one player having to make the decision to drive a vehicle to the frontline.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Yeah, driving a vehicle tot he frontline is pretty much a bad idea, but it gives a perspective on what it looks like in Crysis atleast.

Regards,
Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Although you could argue thats more realistic having to drive a truck up with equipment to build a firebase. The truck could then "drop" a disassembled firebase before getting the hell out of there! :)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The idea appeals to me as well - I like the idea of the truck having to get either heavy infantry support or armoured support to enable it to build a firebase. Perhaps making it very weak and vunerable would help encourage players to protect it at all costs - especially if the aren't easy to get in the first place (e.g. when the team has generated X teamwork points in total)

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
That sounds even more awesome.

It would, as you said, make the team work properly together to successfully guard and protect the vehicle as all cost.

It would be a great feature in my eyes the more I think about it.

Kind regards,
Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Problem would be finding a way of it "deploying" realistically. I suppose you could have it drop a wooden crate off that back - which then breaks on impact revealing it's contents and enabling players to "build" the firebase.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Something like that, yes.

I know the basic concept of building the firebase is pretty damn easy with some FGs and a custom model.

Regards,
Maniche

Bob_Bobber0

I think firebases are a great idea. It encourages ppl to stick together and follow an obj and is pretty rewarding when you place it well and the enemy cant find it.

Nemesis-Xero

It could drop a crate and then we give the player some sort of tool, like has been done in a very large number of other games and mods, and they 'build' it. I think it would be cooler to have the commander (or section leader) designate a position and then the crate gets air dropped in. Also, the crate could be neutral until one side actually builds it, so if you throw it out in the middle of nowhere without any troops in range, you could possibly lose it.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Although I like the idea of having the position commander controlled an air-drop just wouldn't happen in reality. So what about having the truck only able to deploy "the crate" when its within X metres of the place the commander wants it deployed.

I like the idea of them being neutral so if the crate is over-run before being built the enemy can build it for themeselves - what about making them capturable so the enemy can over-run a firebase and take it for their own if they want? Might be worth making the capture time a bit longer then normal to make it a harder fight than usual.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Could do although I was just thinking of capturing it like a strategic location - afterall an enemy firebase/forward command post would become a strategic location to take once established.

Halfdark

In the maps where you use air-drops (if you do?) for spawning, it would be easy enough to have a spawn point which disappears after a certain time in the form of a flare on the ground. Squad leader throws down a spawn flare, reinforcements air drop in. Flare dies, spawn point disappears. Gets around the problems involved with poor placement / unfun placement, since they disappear after a time anyway.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
That could actually work. But then again; wouldn't players be vulnerable while in mid air? (I assume the spawn-point itself is in the air)

Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I imagine we'd use a moving aircraft for this sort of thing but either way yes players would be vunerible in the air. We could probably do some clever placement to reduce it but we couldn't eliminate it entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.