• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Help me pick out a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Apple

Well, not "me" building it. It can't be a list of some newegg parts or anything, because I'm not putting different parts in or taking it somewhere to do so. More or less just want to order the already together PC from a specific computer company, HP, alien ware, dell, etc. etc.

Anyway I really need some help! Because I really need a new PC! I'm planning on getting a new tower before I move. The problem is I know nothing of what I need other then a few things like price range, general power etc. So I'm basically looking for roundabout suggestions.

Here is what I'm looking for;

-brand? help with this?
-needs to be able to handle high memory/system usage programs
-would LOVE for it to run Crysis 3 and other new era games on high and actually look amazing
-Nvidia or other friendly graphics card - no ATI or such.

And most importantly price range no more then $2,300 USD. Even that is pushing it for a tower, under $2,000 USD would be ideal. I don't want some water cooled super machine that is going to make me go homeless ;) Just a computer with solid enough specs hehe.

Hopefully I gave some good idea of what I'm after, if not please and I'll gladly clarify :)

Thank you!
Apple

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm not sure about computer prices in the USA but in the UK you could certainly build a machine which could run Crysis 2 on high for that - at least far as I know :p

I leave it to those who know more than me to suggest a rig. Something with like 8GB+ of RAM I would have thought if not more so you can handle those massive psd files without having to close 3dsmax/CRYENGINE

Sir Apple

Yeah I figured something fairly powerful should fall under that price range, its just the matter of figuring out what :)

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
I'll do my magic;

It's not a pre-built PC, but it's a lot cheaper than anything you can buy from the shelves. At 1 600 USD, you'll get a PC that top-of-the-line with both a fast SSD, plenty of storage-space, trustworthy motherboard and CPU, fast and powerful GPU and plenty of RAM for your programs to chew on.

Just my two cents, haha!

Maniche

_Franky_

Hey there, I would check out these guys:
www.originpc.com

I actually put together a custom build that would fit your needs and your budget. Check your emails ;)

You could also check the usual suspects like Dell XPS and Alienware, but Maniche has a point. If you build it yourself, you save so much money. I did the same and had no experience whatsoever doing that stuff and just figured it out as I went. You could also try a local store in your area that could build it for.

Sir Apple

thanks for the info guys :)

The issue with building my own computer is I simply have no time for it, I have to many other things to do and a very rigid timeline to follow at this point, its not possible for me to custom build one. On top of that, not knowing anything about doing it, would make it quite the project and headache, something I can't really spend hours on. Though I see your points on the many advantages of building your own computer.

Are these parts/similar parts available on a computer companys website to build and submit an order that way?

Also what companys do you guys recommend? Dell has always given issues. :)

Thanks for help again!
Apple

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Dell is pretty much the Ikea furniture of computers; they fit together nicely and look pretty but once you put any weight on them they collapse.

I don't have much experience on computers, I've only really had one and my dad made it for me. A testament to his skills really, as I got it like 7 years ago. I reckon just looking around puter shops or websites and seeing what spec you can afford for your price. I did that for my laptop and that worked out okay.

I'd go for an alienware just because they look epic. Or, get my dad to build one.

_Franky_

I'd really say give those origin guys a shot. Or go to a local store, hand them the list of parts from Maniche or something similar and tell them to name you a price.

SwadianFC

I think ibuypower.com will build a custom one for you. Not sure. You could definitely get a top of the line tower for 1,500 though.

The site's a little ugly but you have, like, a million options.

Sir Apple

Thanks for help everyone. Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do, but also I am working on getting an iphone so I'm a bit distracted lol.

_Franky_

I say ***** the iPhone and get a good PC. Don't listen to the voices in your head. :p Admittedly, the parts for both get done in the same factories, but the craze about cell phones as status symbols is not helping at all. I still use my old Sony Ericsson W850i and it's more than adequate.

From the wallstreet journal:
Working Conditions: The Persistence of Problems in China's Factories - China Real Time Report - WSJ

And my old phone that still fits neatly into my pocket. I don't need entertainment on the go and crazy data plans, just music, texting and calling.

sonyericssonw58001ho0.jpg

Last edited:

Sir Apple

Does anyone have the maximum spec requirements for Crysis 2 as well as similar demanding current games such as BF3, borderlands 2 and such?

Probably asking a lot :p Just so I can visually see spec requirements for these up to date games.

Apple

_Franky_

If you get any decent Intel core i5 or i7 with at least 4GB Ram you'll be fine. Those games are currently mainly bottlenecked by the GPU.

I played Crysis 2 in DX11 with max settings and high res textures on my GTX 570 and it ran fine @ 1920x1200 with console level fps.

They don't have any recommended specs for Crysis 2, officially only minimum specs.

My personal suggestion would be at least a GTX 660 Ti or an AMD equivalent for a somewhat future proof level of performance.
Here are the recommended specs for BF3.

Official Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3

• Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4GB
  • Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 or ATI Radeon 6950.
  • Graphics card memory: 1 GB

But a good idea would be to look at benchmarks, like the ones at guru3d.com.

Btw, the benchmarks are for a screen resolution of 1920x1200, so if your screen has a lower resolution, you'll see a higher fps.

Last edited:

Sir Apple

So I have my PC all picked out and ready to order. I should have it by the 15th of January, if not a little sooner.

Power wise it has a 3 terabyte harddrive, 32 gig ram and Nvidia GTX 660 graphics card. Not totally sure how high power the graphics card is but from what I read and saw in video reviews it can stand on its own pretty well.

Also I *think* monitor is 24inch.

So pumped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.