• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

How will reloads work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

Recently, a possible problem came to mind concerning the reloading animations of certain weapons. Will it be possible to have interrupted reloads for rifles like the SMLE, the No. 4, the G43 and the Lebel?

With an interrupted reload, I mean putting in one 5-round clip, but then having to use it immediately. A related question is the G43 (if it will be in): will the reload be by the magazine, the current gaming standard, or by 2 standard 5-round clips? And of course the single-load Lebel.

Your thoughts?

VonMudra

We would like to, if not in first release, eventually get interrupted reloads of rifles which have two multi-stage reloads like the Enfield or Lebel. As for the Gew43, while soldiers issued with them carried one magazine pouch (and 2 spare mags, plus the one in the gun), and a single K98k pouch for stripper loading, we would probably go with the magazine reload simply to offer a different visual style from the K98k. If we ever put the Gew41 ingame though, that would of course only reload from stripper clips.

Aristle

I'm not particularly savvy with how guns work, but would it be considered to allow single bullet loading for bolt-action rifles and others?

It's probably possible, but is it going to be practical?

The Lebel needs to be loaded one round at a time, but all the other rifles we've got (and most of those we will have in the future) are loaded with stripper clips. I don't even know if reloading single shots was common practice.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm not particularly savvy with how guns work, but would it be considered to allow single bullet loading for bolt-action rifles and others?

It's unlikely. Rifles will be loaded by stripper clips or individual bullets depending on type.

Adding an alternative option wouldn't add much to realism or gameplay in my opinion and would take time away from core features.

drummer93

Why? You just feel how heavy the mag is! By the way this game is realistic but IMO the gameplay comes first

and what the HUD shows? the weight?. I don't think that the gameplay comes first in some cases. Don't know how much ammunition is left in your magazine could part of the game too, and it's like this in real life

Killen

and what the HUD shows? the weight?. I don't think that the gameplay comes first in some cases. Don't know how much ammunition is left in your magazine could part of the game too, and it's like this in real life

It could show: "the mag is full" "the mag is half full" like RO2. Ammo-check in PR sucks IMHO ehheh
PS: in real life you check how many shots do you have, i think. I hate loosing mags when i have fired few shots only because i don't know how many bullets are remaining! I often feel fear for close encounters without the knowledge of the remaining bullets.

drummer93

I often feel fear for close encounters without the knowledge of the remaining bullets.

Well, that makes it more interesting

It could show: "the mag is full" "the mag is half full"

I think that it's more easy count how many bullets you shot, and it's an estimation (in some cases, in others are exactly), like the weight. In real life the only check that you can do is see if you still have bullets in mag, except if you have magazines like this

or like this:
146048_ts.jpg

Killen

Well, that makes it more interesting

I think that it's more easy count how many bullets you shot, and it's an estimation (in some cases, in others are exactly), like the weight. In real life the only check that you can do is see if you still have bullets in mag, except if you have magazines like this

or like this:
View attachment 1086

Maybe devs can add a feature that you press a button and you see through the magazine, which include remaining bullets....but that's not realistic. I think it's cool btw

Sydd

It could show: "the mag is full" "the mag is half full" like RO2. Ammo-check in PR sucks IMHO ehheh
PS: in real life you check how many shots do you have, i think. I hate loosing mags when i have fired few shots only because i don't know how many bullets are remaining! I often feel fear for close encounters without the knowledge of the remaining bullets.

Well I could argue that soldiers kept track of how many bullets they fired as far as rifles were concerned. As a matter of fact the Germans were smart enough to catch up on the fact that the m1 Garand made a distinct cling sound after the final round was fired and this got many Americans killed in the process, ofc the Americans used the cling sound later on as bait against the Germans.

But yeah I kinda like the idea of having to count the bullets you fired and as far as the Thompson BAR etc are concerned... well... try to keep count I guess?

Also.. is there a possibility of guns jamming? Dont want any trigger happy mg noobs to have a field day now would we?

Killen

Well I could argue that soldiers kept track of how many bullets they fired as far as rifles were concerned. As a matter of fact the Germans were smart enough to catch up on the fact that the m1 Garand made a distinct cling sound after the final round was fired and this got many Americans killed in the process, ofc the Americans used the cling sound later on as bait against the Germans.

But yeah I kinda like the idea of having to count the bullets you fired and as far as the Thompson BAR etc are concerned... well... try to keep count I guess?

Also.. is there a possibility of guns jamming? Dont want any trigger happy mg noobs to have a field day now would we?

The cling of the garand should be difficult to hear in a firefight, the hard thing is to keep track of mg mag, as well as smg magazines (maybe last ones are easier to count)

Last edited:

Sydd

The cling of the garand should be difficile to hear in a firefight, the hard thing is to keep track of mg mag, as well as smg magazines (maybe last ones are easier to count)

Well you can see the damn mg belt so mg should be least of our concerns, guns like mp40 which have a pretty decent sized mag should be problematic to keep track of. I agree with the cling sound concept there, but you have to wonder if the sound will even be implemented to begin with..

Aniallator

I think is better to feed the mg by magazine because it looks much cool (IMO) and you don't need to animate the belt when it is sucked in. (Probably i am writing bullshits)

It'll be implemented based on realism, not the cool factor. Anyway, MG 34 and 42 magazines were more common on AA units than infantry ones, where a belt feed was the norm.

Sydd

It'll be implemented based on realism, not the cool factor. Anyway, MG 34 and 42 magazines were more common on AA units than infantry ones, where a belt feed was the norm.

^ This! Besides never have I seen any mg such as the browning, maxim, mg 42,34 being fed by mags. They always had belts. Bren is an exception.
Unless you are stating that the ammo box is a mag..

Status
Not open for further replies.