• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Lets talk realism

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I love some of the ideas being suggested here :)

There aren't many things CE3 can't do if you've got the time and expertises, especially as we're working from almost scratch. The consequence of this power and flexibility is these things take longer... but the end result is worth it ;)

an actual developer replied OMG, i am now a loyalist to this game <3

What can I say? We love taking part in community discussions. I can't promise to reply to everything but we'll give it our very best shot ;)

Last edited:

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
About respawn time. I always imagined an ideal respawn system working like this:

The more away from the frontline you choose to spawn the faster your respawn timer is, simulating the time it takes for reinforcements to arrive. I assume there will be some kind of main base of operations for both teams, this could have instant respawn timer when a player dies. If the player chooses to spawn on a friendly held objective/outpost (depends on which terminology we want to use) he would have a bigger respawn time. If that outpost is under enemy attack the timer could be increased, simulating enemy cutting of supply lines.

Also, there will probably be some way to respawn on the squad leader/rally the squad or mobile spawnpoints such as APCs . This could have the longest respawn timer. The role of the medic might come in handy here, as he could allow instant spawn on the squadleader instead of waiting for the timer. That way you can have medics in a realistic and historically accurate manner and avoid silly things such as dead people coming back as zombies :p

militaryprogamer

Vanguard Friend
In my honest opinion, the respawn time is just fine. The big two reasons are simple:

A: It gives a long enough time, for more people to die. Once more people have died, they will then go on to respawn with you; thus encouraging teamwork, especially if you respawn in a small group.

B: The point on whether or not you "Die anyway" The idea is when you die, will you just sprint straight into another death because "I don't have to wait long to magically be resurrected by Hades himself?"

As for the RO2 type cover system, I think could be neat. Though please make it more user-friendly than RO2 did.

P.S. While we're talking about realism, would it be safe to assume TW will have realistic bullet ballistics? Drop, and lead, etc?

Yes, I agree that it should make the player play safer, however

In RO2 the only way to get a kill is to hide somewhere more preferably a tight area or a hallway and wait for someone to walk by

RO2's game mmechanics made it up to a point that getting a good kill rate was to camp in a good spot and do absolutely nothing and wait till an enemy walks by

An example would be, people no longer tried to stop enemies from entering your building by shooting from a window, because its so much easier to just let them enter your building and wait for them inside

The RO2 game was not about firefights and straight up shoot and take cover, it was about absolute camping

Troy

Perhaps because that's what Stalingrad was like??? Both the Russians and the Germans would have been in extremely close quarter combat. I know that the Russians would have definitely waited for the germans to enter the building instead of firing on the outside due to the germans having artillery and air superiority.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Yes but as Troy said, that was Stalingrad, in Normandy bocage it was much more about maneuvering and flanking the enemy, although close combat in narrow passages did occur. Maybe have map-dependent respawn timers? Is that possible? So that close combat maps are more action paced and open maps are more tactical.

Troy

I think the map dependent spawn timer would work... but then it would be up to the server owner what the respawn time will be!

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
I liked the idea of a different spawn time dependable on how far from the action you spawn. Gives you as player a more tactical choice. Waiting longer to spawn close to action to help out you comrades or spawning quickly to find transport to get back to action as fast as you can.

What about a system that looks in to how well you did before you died. Giving you a spawn bonus if for example you survived together with team mates defending a outpost? ( making it so when you camping a lot there isn't a spawning bonus :p )

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
What about a system that looks in to how well you did before you died. Giving you a spawn bonus if for example you survived together with team mates defending a outpost? ( making it so when you camping a lot there isn't a spawning bonus :p )

That's a nice idea... Maybe base it on something like RO2's points / BF2's flag defense points. You could get "respawn points" for killing enemies from within the objective/outpost range, allowing you to respawn faster if you made an effort in the defense. Maybe do the same for the attacking side, so killing an enemy while attacking would allow you to respawn faster and continue pressing the attack. It needs some more thinking on how best would be to make it, as you don't want to punish people who aren't that successful in killing and reward people who mindlessly run into the objective range to kill one guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.