• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

manual bolting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon

totally agree. Maybe is something new for some players that not played simulators or realistic games, but when you test it, you understand that is the best option

Something like Resistance and Liberation has, R to bolt it.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
I would like a system where the gun does not bolt if you are holdig LMB, nothing more.

Aniallator

@Pjosip let's say you enter a house, and there's an enemy. You fire, and miss. Now, rather than bolting your rifle, you want to bayonet the guy; wouldn't it be annoying to have to hold LMB while you press another key to use your bayonet? It'd be way simpler to press LMB to bolt.

Anyway, IMO we ought to have generous control customization (for example, able to choose between pressing and toggling keys) so that any of these are posssible.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
Or you press the "bayonet" key, the bolting action is immidiately interrupted and stabbing animation started.
As it's already being done in many other games and works just fine.

Aniallator

Or you press the "bayonet" key, the bolting action is immidiately interrupted and stabbing animation started.
As it's already being done in many other games and works just fine.

That's possible too, though wouldn't that result in a not-so-fluid animation? You could be half way through bolting when you use your bayonet, resulting in a change in animations that wouldn't look good... correct me if I'm mistaken.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
And you can also make character remember where the animation left off and go from there. There are lots of possibilitis.

Aniallator

Yeah, I don't know that's possible, and if it is it would require a lot of animating. It'd be far simpler just to bind bolting to pressing LMB.

Olsen [29ID]

I would like it if you could choose it in the menu like, auto reloading/auto bolting, auto reloading/manual bolting.
Since it's nice to see where your bullet drops in RO2, and if you auto bolt, then you would not see where it lands.

Aniallator

I would like it if you could choose it in the menu like, auto reloading/auto bolting, auto reloading/manual bolting.
Since it's nice to see where your bullet drops in RO2, and if you auto bolt, then you would not see where it lands.

You mean the option to use automatic bolting/reloading or manual? If so, then yes :) Assuming manual bolting is implemented, it'll be optional.

Sydd

But if manual bolting is implemented why would you even want an option for auto bolt? IMO it would complicate things, just as drummer stated earlier, say you are in a situation where you miss the shot and the guy is so close that you have to use your bayonet, so we have 2 scenarios... auto bolting and manual..
a. Auto: You continue to reload while he comes and stabs you, or in order to make it fair the devs would have to implement a feature where you are able to use your bayonet while auto bolting but it would be unfair if you continued to reload in other words, your reloading would be interrupted if you use your bayonet...

So if that's the case you may as well add one option which is manual bolting, sure you have to click your fire button again to reload but its not rocket science that someone wont get used to it in an instant... This also spices things up in a scenario where say you are encountering a guy with an smg and you have your trusty k98k, you have to make your shot count, if you miss, you are done for. Auto bolting would be a tad bit faster here by a minute margin but it would matter, the advantage of rifles like the k98k lies in mid to long ranges so its poor performance would be more noticeable in manual bolting simply because you have to click a button to bolt which makes it a lot more realistic, practical and in some cases more useful than auto bolting.

Tl;Dr : adding 2 options for auto and manual would complicate things and it's better to add one option and my preference would be manual.

Aniallator

But if manual bolting is implemented why would you even want an option for auto bolt? IMO it would complicate things, just as drummer stated earlier, say you are in a situation where you miss the shot and the guy is so close that you have to use your bayonet, so we have 2 scenarios... auto bolting and manual..
a. Auto: You continue to reload while he comes and stabs you, or in order to make it fair the devs would have to implement a feature where you are able to use your bayonet while auto bolting but it would be unfair if you continued to reload in other words, your reloading would be interrupted if you use your bayonet...

So if that's the case you may as well add one option which is manual bolting, sure you have to click your fire button again to reload but its not rocket science that someone wont get used to it in an instant... This also spices things up in a scenario where say you are encountering a guy with an smg and you have your trusty k98k, you have to make your shot count, if you miss, you are done for. Auto bolting would be a tad bit faster here by a minute margin but it would matter, the advantage of rifles like the k98k lies in mid to long ranges so its poor performance would be more noticeable in manual bolting simply because you have to click a button to bolt which makes it a lot more realistic, practical and in some cases more useful than auto bolting.

Tl;Dr : adding 2 options for auto and manual would complicate things and it's better to add one option and my preference would be manual.

IMO? I agree. Manual bolting (and manual reloading) are the way to go, and automatic options are unnecessary. However, not everyone sees things the same way, and by allowing for automatic bolting and manual bolting, the devs are just being reasonable, and while I can't say TW ought to have automatic bolting as well as manual, I'm not against it.

Also, I disagree about being able to use your bayonet mid-bolt. If you're caught in a dangerous close quarters situation while bolting, that's your problem, because you A chose the wrong time to bolt your weapon, or B are using automatic bolting. If you bolt at the wrong time, you bolt at the wrong time.

mmiedzianyy

But you can always interrupt bolting, why not? If you are in the middle, you can still stab your enemy. In real life people threw helmets at each other to make some adventage and im pretty sure when they were reloading too. Remember Saving Private Ryan bridge defending scene? So why no interrupting?

FlyingR

Also, I disagree about being able to use your bayonet mid-bolt. If you're caught in a dangerous close quarters situation while bolting, that's your problem, because you A chose the wrong time to bolt your weapon, or B are using automatic bolting. If you bolt at the wrong time, you bolt at the wrong time.

Not quite, you should be able to use the bayonet at any point during a fight, whereas your firing, reloading or running. It's your last resort of defense and an enemy can appear at any time. There are many reasons why you have to resort to bayonet, but once the scenario happens you should be able to use it any time and anywhere. You can't get more realistic than that. It would suck to lose a 1 on 1 just because you couldn't use the bayonet because you had to reload. It's not only your problem, it's also your section's problem and your team's problem.

mmiedzianyy

Not quite, you should be able to use the bayonet at any point during a fight, whereas your firing, reloading or running. It's your last resort of defense and an enemy can appear at any time. There are many reasons why you have to resort to bayonet, but once the scenario happens you should be able to use it any time and anywhere. You can't get more realistic than that. It would suck to lose a 1 on 1 just because you couldn't use the bayonet because you had to reload. It's not only your problem, it's also your section's problem and your team's problem.
Exactly! Bayonets in PR su*ks, everybody knows that. In RL you won't mount bayonet every time when it's time for cq combat or hand to hand or w.e. It's assembled and thats all. Also it depends on individual preferences. Like in RO2, bayonet is fixed all the time and ready to use. I remember so many accidents when i was reloading, enemy in front of me was reloading too and i had no other way than just to rush and stab him. I won, cause i had bayonet fixed and ready to use ALL THE TIME.

Last edited:

Sydd

But you can always interrupt bolting, why not? If you are in the middle, you can still stab your enemy. In real life people threw helmets at each other to make some advantage and im pretty sure when they were reloading too. Remember Saving Private Ryan bridge defending scene? So why no interrupting?

That is precisely my point. If you use your bayonet whilst reloading or anything the reloading process is interrupted. [MENTION=2108]Aniallator[/MENTION], I agree it'd sure be nice to have multiple options to do the same thing but providing options for both auto and manual reloading and bolting could complicate things, if it doesn't, the more features the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.