• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Map Ideas Thread

Hmmm

Well its been remade in cod 2 and cod 4 it was based of carentan in band of brothers episode 3.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Re: Map Ideas Thread

From what I gather out here you are working on Normandy and try to focus on British vs Germans on infantry mode first. The choices are rather limited then.

We ofcourse can first have a look at D-Day itself.
The very first foot on Normandy by Allied troops as part of D-Day: Pegasus. My favourite battle, you are already creating it so I will shut up about it, haha.

Gold Beach, tough defences, suckass defenders. The Germans used Osttruppen as defenders. Captured Russian soldiers offered a second change to fight for the Reich, militiamen and rebel soldiers formerly fighting against Soviet surpression enlisting in a real army. The Osttruppens equipment sucked for 1944. They had no special new weapons. Just the same as any German division in 1940/41. That made Gold Beach an easy victory.

Operation Tonga. Tonga are the British airbourne landings on the night 5/6 June. You could make a typical French countryside as night map and then let British paratroopers land on it and capture various German assets. This could be a fictional area to portray how it was for the Airbourne to land int he middle of nowhere. Trying to gather and spread havoc before relieving the guys at the beaches.

There are plenty more possibilities and you have to remember that all armoured operations where supported by the infantry divisions. So you could also take a part from a large opartion like Goodwood, Charnwood, Perch, etc. and portray infantry assaults on German positions.

Though I do advice to add tanks. You don't need alot, a few Sherman versions and Cromwell vs Panzer IV H's, Panthers, StuG IIG's, Tigers and maybe Panzer III late versions. I also noticed the Luchs, that is great. I love that machine!

Anyways, just me contributing. Hope it helps out!

Sir Apple

In regards to the tanks.

From what I gather, the main reason we want to focus on Infantry for the first release is because that will really give us the chance to get 100% exactly (engine willing) what we want out of infantry combat. Since the dev team isn't dramatically large yet, trying to pin-point awesome tank combat with infantry is a large task. We could still do it, its just it would delay the release and give us a lot more work to do. Naga knows more about this then me though  :).

The Luchs, well, from what I gathered via 'historian' it was exceptionally rare, only 100 produced, most of which were not on the Western Front (specifically Normandy and area).

About the maps,

Goodwood, Charnwood and such are some good map possibilities. Even if just infantry only for first release, would still be awesome  ;).

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer

The Luchs' in Normandy served with the Windhund division which saw alot of combat although only against American forces.

Yes, with the large operations you could easily focus on the towns/cities with destroyed tanks as statics. Most tanks rather stayed out of urban areas.

VonMudra

Tilly-sur-Seulles would open up multiple possibilities, with the town being taken and retaken by the british and the 130th Panzer Lehr 23 times during Operation Perch. Essentially, you have a multitude of choices, including the first british probes with an intact town, attack and counter attack with the town partly falling apart, and the final british and Panzer Lehr assaults with the town in complete ruin. The only problem would be that the Panzer Lehr wore different uniforms then most Germany infantry....

FACECHUNK

GAME TYPE: CONVOY
TEAMS: CONVOY TEAM, AMBUSH TEAM
OBJECTIVE:

CONVOY TEAM: Must reach other side of the map/destination with at least 1 convoy truck operational.

ATTACKER TEAM: Must eliminate all trucks (not tanks or motorbikes) to win the match. THE ATTACKER TEAM HAS 1 MINUTE OF GAME TIME AHEAD OF CONVOY TO GET INTO AN AMBUSH POSITION

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT:

CONVOY TEAM: The convoy team has 3 trucks and 2 tanks that can be used as a defensive aid to the convoy. The tanks will have limited shells and limited machine gun capacity.

AMBUSH TEAM: The attacker team will have a designated number of rpg (severly limited, perhaps 2 in total to make things intense), mines, sticky bombs, that they can use to ambush the convoy. If they don't succeed in taking the convoy out by explosives they can proceed to shoot the convoy till it explodes. This may prove difficult as the convoy team will attempt an escape.

The sticky bombs will be handy (if you make them)

For example:

An ambush team can set a couple of mines further up a track, get down to a close in dirt track with trees etc. Wait for a tank to roll bye, stick on a sticky bomb and disable the tracks, Block up the convoy forcing it to reverse. Have an rpg hit the rear end convoy tank and then proceed with the shooting.

Something like that. It would be a really great game. To make it interesting, give the CONVOY TEAM 2 routes to traverse to add in tactical gameplay. Also a possibilty to have a destructible bridge in one of the convoy maps perhaps?

Last edited:

Sir Apple

Thanks for your suggestion :)

The gametypes in the first release will probably just be conquest, to keep things reasonable and less complex. In the future we plan to look into other gameplays that follow sense of historical accuracy/realism.

FACECHUNK

Good to know. History combined with strategy and fps shooters is an excellent learning strategy. I really think it would be of great importance to make some game types that can be over shortly yet have an immense intensity to them. For example, Counter strike VIP mode. That S*** was cash. I loved being the VIP with a usp and a body vest. Amazing feeling.

If we could just get the convoy team, wetting themselves by putting them in situations that they KNOW are just not good. But they have to try.

For example,

Driving through an enclosed dirt track with lots of surrounding forest and hidey holes and no relatively easy way of turning around, only kicking the vehicle into reverse is your fastest method/option, or a road that was next to a field that had a hill and a crest they can't see over from the road, a low cobblestone wall next to the road and the ascending slope and a few well placed historic landmarks from a FARM or a massive oak tree or whatever tree was nice and thick trunked.

Crazy good level design that promotes fear into the convoy team and a growing expectation to pull off the ambush right by the attackers because if they don't get it right, the tanks or foot soldiers will mess them up anyhow. That's what I am trying to get across. Someone who has a keen eye can use the surroundings to their advantage.

Had another idea for this map. The Convoy team is allowed one motorbike. It can go ahead and scout stuff out, it could totally drive past the ambush and think it is safe that way. Or it may spot something suspicious and tell the team to go another way over the radio, ruining the ambushers plans. Only one motorbike though. Less is more.

The only issue is making the maps have enough angles of attack for the attackers so that it doesn't become stale in terms of common hideouts.

Ho ho ho.

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Dresden was just bombed to pieces by the UK and USA with the only reason to show their muscles to the USSR. There was no ground combat, just endless waves of bombers dropping their payload on a once beautiful ancient city centre. Damn waste, not to speak of the civilians that perished in the flames.

A better scenario would be the city of Caen, old city centre, cramped streets, also heavily bombed and the scene of very intensive urban combat between the Canadians and the Germans.

mr-sibs

yeah realistically you are right, I would just love to play a level with dresden architecture or similar, be great fun :laugh:

brrr

TW Developer
Dresden was just bombed to pieces by the UK and USA with the only reason to show their muscles to the USSR. There was no ground combat, just endless waves of bombers dropping their payload on a once beautiful ancient city centre. Damn waste, not to speak of the civilians that perished in the flames.

A better scenario would be the city of Caen, old city centre, cramped streets, also heavily bombed and the scene of very intensive urban combat between the Canadians and the Germans.

Yeah I always imagined Caen as our 'urban map' as it were. Would be great to give German side control of the elite panzer division and the tiger tanks.

If I remember correctly it was the battle where the British and common wealth forces realised there tanks were outdated and outmatched when only a handful of tigers took on a whole division of Cromwells and Shermans.

I saw a very good documentary about it where by they recreated aspects of the battle with tanks / explosions and even some first person video shots of sten guns etc - I will try and dig that up and post it here soon.

Startin' off, Awesome job ! I Thought of a map as Operation Blockbuster, in the Hochwald gap, Here's the video
, i personally think it's Uber awesome, lots of tanks in a risky field, Whynot ? xD

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
An interesting suggestion Squirrel. OVERLORD is focused towards Normandy but when we move beyond that area this is an option :)

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
Traction Wars does World of Tanks basically :p

(I got really annoyed at that video during the sherman tank intro using the Skype sounds; I thought I was popular D: )