• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Militaria

Status
Not open for further replies.

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
A perfectly innocent little thing in the background of a photo, and the internet will take the **** out of you forever! xD Love it haha

siben

Effin kids here, i tell you. Oh and those purple shoes look GREAT on my girl.

Anyways, here is a weapon suggestion, I won't say what it is yet but most people should know it.

siben

Lebel grenade launcher attachment?

Lebel, Berthier, does not matter, it fits on most French model rifles.
And yes, its a Tromblon Vivien-Bessières model 1916.

Here is the bag for it. Not in the best of conditions, the leather seems to be rotting. I am now drying it in the sun, then i will put it in alcohol and then put a leather cream on it. I hope it stops it.

Last edited:

LazMan12

Well, time for another Item, since i have just shown you my Model 1891 Bayonet why don't i show the model 1891 Carcano next? Lovely 1894 Production with a 1940 made stock.

I love rifles with Mannlicher- type feeding system :)

VonMudra

I may have to do a gun series once my apartment moving is complete next week. In the meantime, here is what I did a couple weekends ago:

I'm in the center. Me and the other belong to the KuK IR 61 reenactment unit, doing Austro-Hungarian soldiers on the Western Front circa 1918. 4 Austro-Hungarian divisions were sent to the Western Front in March of 1918, and through September to the end of the war participated in heavy combat against American forces with mixed results (all the units were under-strength and morale was fleeting as, by that time in the war, Austria-Hungary was basically ceasing to exist as a nation) during the St Mihel Offensives, in some cases breaking easily and in other cases putting up incredibly stiff resistance, with the last foriegn award of the Pour le Mérite's being to an Austro-Hungarian Oberst, Rudolph Popelka, for his brigade's role in holding against non-stop American attacks for 3 days.

Here is our unit leader in a 1914 officer impression:

Sadly I didn't get a pic with the other member of the unit in attendance as Austro-Hungarian, and the other 3, including our unit leader, went out with the Germans for their '1914' impression. Pft. Like THAT'LL impress anyone!

Ok...I guess it was pretty awesome. xD

siben

My question now, i see your whole german WW1 unit has the long original 1898 Bayonet. Production of those stoped in 1914 in favour for the more known "butcher" bayonet. Now i wonder, how hard is it to find in the us? Here they cost between 200 and 400 euro...

VonMudra

Yeah it's pretty expensive out here, around 200 or so for the feather bayonet. But that WAS what they went to war with, so that was what they needed for the 1914 impression. :)

siben

Yeah it's pretty expensive out here, around 200 or so for the feather bayonet. But that WAS what they went to war with, so that was what they needed for the 1914 impression. :)

Really? some units might have but didn't the majority went to war with Gew 88 and model 1871 bayonets? I was under the impression that the Gew98 only became the most common front line weapon somewhere in 1916 when they started selling off the Gew88 to the Ottoman empire.

Anyway, since i was doing French objects i will just continue.
Its a Epée-Boïonnette Modèle 1886. The first of the 5 models they produced for the Lebel and Berhier rifle.

Last edited:

VonMudra

Donno where you got that from. Almost all front line units went into combat with the G98 and it was their main rifle through the entire war. The Gew88 did go to combat in Landwehr and rear line/reserve units to some extent, as well as seeing some service in frontline units on the Eastern Front. After that, the most common rifle in German service in WW1 was the Mosin Nagant, which armed almost all their support troops on the Eastern Front. They even modified it to take a regular bayonet rather than the russian socket bayonet.

But yeah, the Gew98 was by far the most common rifle in service at the outbreak of WW1.

siben

Donno where you got that from. Almost all front line units went into combat with the G98 and it was their main rifle through the entire war. The Gew88 did go to combat in Landwehr and rear line/reserve units to some extent, as well as seeing some service in frontline units on the Eastern Front. After that, the most common rifle in German service in WW1 was the Mosin Nagant, which armed almost all their support troops on the Eastern Front. They even modified it to take a regular bayonet rather than the russian socket bayonet.

But yeah, the Gew98 was by far the most common rifle in service at the outbreak of WW1.

When i talk I always talk western front only.
I read it in the Gew 1888 wikipedia article. I kind of assumed that it would be correct.

VonMudra

The wiki merely states that it was used in frontline units, which it was, specifically some reserve units. Not all though. I've also seen a couple photos of Reserve Guard Divisions carrying them in 1914 (along with the earlier ammo pouches), but again, that was an exception, not the rule. That said, the regulars and most of the reserve did go into combat in 1914 with the Gew98. Remember, it had had 16 years to replace the Gew88, so there was more than enough time to produce it for the regular army.

siben

Sorry it took a bit but i have been super busy the past week, here is another item, same bayonet as last time, but a different version with brass handles.

2014-07-26 20.21.19.jpg

2014-07-26 20.21.30.jpg

2014-07-26 20.21.47.jpg

siben

Here is another Frech object for you guys. It is the French Berthier 1907/15. Made in 1917.
Sorry for blurry pictures but i have to take them with my phone since i do not have a proper camera myself.
I cant take pictures of the grenade launcher installed since it does not fit. It is installed purely by friction so you have to find a rifle witch has the right tolerances to install it on. On mine it completely blocks about half a cm before properly installed.

siben

Back to the Berthier for the last time (this model at least). I made a small movie explaining some things, I hope its clear and i don't spread to much BS, this is one of the first times i do anything like this and it might be boring and of bad quality. I apologise for it, i did not want to waste 5 minutes of your time. Listening to myself makes me realize my english is terrible. lol.

Last edited:

Kevino

Vanguard Friend
your video was just fine, so is your english. you sound like me, if i had a belgium accent :) my neighbor's daughter in law and grandkids are in belgium right now. no idea where though. she is from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.