• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Modern Warefare 2 - No Dedicated Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brrr

TW Developer
It was inevitable someone would bring this issue up here lol. I’m sure you’ve all heard the recent announcement that no dedicated servers will be included with cod4 modern warfare 2.

.This means an 16 man player limit
.no clan support
.no mod, mapping support
.no control of what server you choose
.bad peer to peer ping
.charging for dlc map packs

I, like many of other pc gamers have signed the petition and am refusing to buy the game in any form whether it be console or PC. I just wanted to know if any of you guys were planning on buying it and if you are going to after this recent announcement.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?dedis4mw

Last edited:

MrGuybrush

tbh, I wasn't going to buy the game anyway.

I'll be getting Bad Company 2, MW2 seems to have stood still with game features and will therefore play very similiar to MW1. It's like buying every Call of Duty game or every SIMS addon. Why bother? You play the first you've played them all.

At least with BC2 the destruction has been improved massively and that will really change the gameplay. From my early tests with Crysis, I know how brilliant destructable assets can be and how much fun it can be to blow them to pieces.

Gamers need to wise up and buy games that actually push the genre forward rather than simply buying skinned games. Otherwise we'll end up with MW15.

brrr

TW Developer
Some new info from the modern warfare front. Infinity ward have announced maximum player limit will be 9v9 (18) although this sounds small in comparison to the 64 player capabilities of the first game the maps of modern warefare 2 are smaller and more well suited to 9v9 games anyway.

Also IW stated dlc will still be free for the pc version, which is against speculation that the purpose of introducing iwnet pvp system was to force people to pay for dlc on the pc version.

I’m kind of considering still buying it, but if anyone likes giant 64 player servers and clan matches, do not buy it.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
DLC?

I must admit this has start to put me off - I might just wait for BF:BC2 come to come out in the Spring.

MrGuybrush

Sounds like MW2 is trying to take the crown off Counterstrike.

I won't bother buying it however, Bad Company 2 will be my purchase :)

brrr

TW Developer
That game is gunna be amazing!

Yeah, no doubt the game will be amazing, its just very sad to see the developers stray away from their pc routes/origins. The problem is that ever since cod4 they’ve all been straight ports from the consoles.

Coca-Cola

Trial Developer
Bottom line with this issue is that our generation, whatever you want to call it, needs to realize that things aren't free and that game developpers need your money to keep doing what they're doing. Sure people will say that they'll buy a game from any of the developpers if it's good, and so they should, but the fact of the matter is that who wants to make a well-made game if it's going to be pirated in any way? Sure console games can be pirated but, for my example, take everyone you know and think about whether they've pirated more computer games than console games and I presume that just like me the answer to almost all of them is computer games. They'll have a bunch of X-box or PS2/3 games in their large covers, a few PC games though also a few torrents going for the latest or greatest PC game downloading away. Only a few of the people I know have that little chip in the consoles, usually the heavy users, to allow them to play their stolen copies. The whole PC gaming community needs to look at themselves in the mirror and think about what we've collectively done, especially the heavy users and I'm no exception.

Sure you can look at all the features that this game doesn't have and should have had but you really need to think of the big picture with large studios, specifically EA posting losses over the last 14 quarters (though I know some of you will have something to say about that), losing money. What are they supposed to do? Go for the option of a larger likelyhood of piracy? I sure as hell wouldn't and, if you have any business sense, nor would you.

The only way to saved our beloved mouse-supporting and upgrade-allowing gaming machines is to hope that the big studios don't turn their backs on us and start pay-as-you-go systems, be it monlty, yearly,etc, and or buy games. I for one slightly respect what they've(makers of modern warfare, I forget atm) done and they're taking control of their company and their work and making people pay and wake up. If people want quality upgrades they need to pay the developpers one way or another. Just look at WoW, even though I hate the game itself, which pretty much supports blizzard with its' monthly subscriptions. Also, though I'm not completely sure, they also get rid of the middleman, a distributor, pilfering the pot which is good most ways you look at it. This is the way I'd like game developpers to go. Sure steam is great and I'd like it to keep going but there are better options still.

Of course, this could bring up other issues, mostly them becoming greedy with their services, though the world does deserve it, and once again not providing dedicated servers which can access their main account servers or their main servers however their system is set up.

Gosh, you turn 21 and it's all about them kids stepping on your lawn. :p

Fuchs

Vanguard Backer
Don't know, I atleast read it, didn't had anything to add on it, maybe there is some ADD kids lurking who can't read it and can't comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.