• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

News Update #59: CRYENGINE V

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
The past few weeks have been a busy time for the team. Our focus behind the scenes has been redirected onto something new and exciting… the latest and greatest iteration of the engine behind Traction Wars; CRYENGINE 5.0.

CRYENGINE 5.0 was launched in March, since which we have been exploring the potential of the new engine alongside our usual development, how it might benefit the game and what issues we would encounter.

Since the release of version 5.1 last month we have been focused on migrating the game onto the new engine, which as the community has noticed has impacted on the flow of game related updates.

The new engine offers the usual graphical enhancements such as a new low-overhead renderer, DirectX 12 support and a new particle system but more importantly to the team is firstly the full engine source code and secondly the new price model.

Low-Overhead Renderer and DirectX 12 in CRYENGINE 5 (Source: Crytek)

The new pay-what-you-want price model for CRYENGINE means our current developers may no longer have to pay a monthly subscription to work on the game but it also opens up the recruitment of new team members to a wider audience.

Over the coming weeks we will be putting the new engine through its paces and deciding when it would be best for us to officially adopt the improved engine. In the meantime we are continuing development of the game on CRYENGINE 3 until the time is ripe to make the switch.

That’s all for this update. We expect to be back with another update in three weeks.

FlyingR

Great news! I'm glad you guys don't have to pay the monthly subscription, but I have a few questions regarding CE5 since I clearly don't know anything.

1. Do you still have to pay for a license to use CE or something like that?

2. Can't you just switch from CE3 to CE5 without having to change anything? As in, just import objects/textures/maps and such?

3. Do graphics really don't improve at all?

Ooooh I can see Ani (you lost many cookies) ranting about this! xD

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
1. Do you still have to pay for a license to use CE or something like that?

There are no fees or royalties.

2. Can't you just switch from CE3 to CE5 without having to change anything? As in, just import objects/textures/maps and such?

It's not quite that simple (otherwise we'd have done it overnight). CE5 is an evolution of CE3 but there are differences which means for example we're having to re-export some of our textures.

3. Do graphics really don't improve at all?

There are a few but to be honest CE3 already had a lot of the very latest rendering technology. CE5 adds DirectX 12 and other performance enhancements along with new particles and and volumetric clouds (which aren't all that useful to us but very pretty)

SpaceCroissant

Following on from what Naga said, from a code point of view there are a huge number of changes. We have to go through every single file and merge the changes that have been made to the engine with our own files. After that there's a good chance the project won't build and/or function correctly, and various things need to be fixed to ensure they work as before. It's not as simple as it might initially sound!

Aniallator

Awesome that TW will be moving onto CE5 :D Save for the new pay system, will CE5 make anything easier for you guys? On a surface level, what kind of impacts will it have on the game? As always, looking forward to the next update :)

And yes, it seems I'll have to keep those vanilla and white chocolate chip cookies for a bit longer... perhaps the next update...

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Save for the new pay system, will CE5 make anything easier for you guys? On a surface level, what kind of impacts will it have on the game?

Probably the next biggest advantage is that CE5 is getting support and patches. CE3 will not be - so the existing engine bugs are there to say.

Now we have full source code we can actually fix some bugs for ourselves which in CE3 would have required an engine patch from Crytek. It's made a difference already where we've been able to fix a major blocker for ourselves rather than having to workaround or wait for Crytek.

Will this affect the minimum system requirements?

CE3 and CE5 have the same basic minimum system requirements. In theory CE5 should actually run smoother.

Last edited:
[MENTION=1]General Naga[/MENTION]: Does this mean we can have the correct number of wheels on our Panzer IV?

Great news anyhow.

Aniallator

what are you talking about?

CE3 limits the number of wheels a vehicle can have to like a dozen; that number is less than the number of wheels Panzer IVs have (eighteen IIRC), hence TW's Panzer IV Ausf. H model was forced to use an unrealistic number of wheels. Theoretically CE5 has remedied this, allowing the Panzer IV to use the correct number :)

drummer93

CE3 limits the number of wheels a vehicle can have to like a dozen; that number is less than the number of wheels Panzer IVs have (eighteen IIRC), hence TW's Panzer IV Ausf. H model was forced to use an unrealistic number of wheels. Theoretically CE5 has remedied this, allowing the Panzer IV to use the correct number :)

oh, I didn't know that. Interesting!

I counted 20, with tensor and tractor wheels (10 per side)

litchu

So... Traction Wars in VR? Or does that take extra work to enable? ( I only just read that CE5 provides VR support, maybe they already did before )

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
So... Traction Wars in VR? Or does that take extra work to enable? ( I only just read that CE5 provides VR support, maybe they already did before )

Yes CE5 does support VR but it's not in our plans or even on our radar to be honest. OVERLORD is 100% of our focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.