• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Picture of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonMudra

Gotta go with it's a Ferdinand. No MG in the hull, and the giant hull rivets give it away as a Ferd.

drummer93

Gebirgsjägers (mountain troops). Narvik, Norway. 1940

drummer93

Parachuting bombs fall on a medium japanese bomber "Mitsubishi Ki-21" "Sally". Namlea, Buru Island, West Indies. October 15, 1944

Aniallator

On June 20th, 1941, the tomb of the last great Mongol ruler, Timur, was exhumed in Samarkand, Uzbekistan by a Russian anthropological team sent by Stalin. Upon opening Timur's sarcophagus, they found an inscription on his casket, reading "Whoever opens my tomb, shall unleash an invader more terrible than I." Two days later, Hitler initiated Operation Barbarossa, with four million Axis troops invading the USSR in the largest invasion in the history of warfare.

In November 1942, the Russians returned Timur to the mausoleum of Gūr-i Amīr with full Islamic burial rites. That same month, the German 6th Army and components of the 4th Panzer Army, and the Romanian 3rd and 4th Armies were encircled in Stalingrad in Operation Uranus.

This has nothing to do with Indiana Jones.

FlyingR

On June 20th, 1941, the tomb of the last great Mongol ruler, Timur, was exhumed in Samarkand, Uzbekistan by a Russian anthropological team sent by Stalin. Upon opening Timur's sarcophagus, they found an inscription on his casket, reading "Whoever opens my tomb, shall unleash an invader more terrible than I." Two days later, Hitler initiated Operation Barbarossa, with four million Axis troops invading the USSR in the largest invasion in the history of warfare.

In November 1942, the Russians returned Timur to the mausoleum of Gūr-i Amīr with full Islamic burial rites. That same month, the German 6th Army and components of the 4th Panzer Army, and the Romanian 3rd and 4th Armies were encircled in Stalingrad in Operation Uranus.

This has nothing to do with Indiana Jones.

Is that for real or just some crazy hoax?

VonMudra

The exhumation and burial are true, the inscription is a myth with no backing evidence that I know of.

drummer93

Soldiers of the 3rd SS Panzer Division operate an MG-34 during the operation Citadel. June, 1943

Last edited:

Aniallator

Well, he did make a tower of freshly harvested human skulls at one point... but anyway, back to the gaiety and happiness of the Second World War!

A German soldier signals during Operation Market Garden, September 1944. Aaand it's bonus picture day, so here's another: a French R 35 takes a direct hit from an artillery round, launching it into the air while another, partially burning but still operated, advances in the foreground. Battle of France, 1940.

Aniallator

An Italian anti-aircraft gun, southern Italy, 1943. Boxes of biscotti can clearly be seen in the lower left, for the anti-aircraftmen to sustain themselves during those long, boring days.

FlyingR

I know that the Nazi flags on top of the tanks are there so that the (dive-)bombers do not teamkill. Did some of the tanks in the Western front also displayed the flag on top?

VonMudra

I know that the Nazi flags on top of the tanks are there so that the (dive-)bombers do not teamkill. Did some of the tanks in the Western front also displayed the flag on top?

Nope, that whole flag on top of the vehicle thing went away when Germany had lost air superiority on all fronts.

Status
Not open for further replies.