• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

question about telescopic sights

Status
Not open for further replies.

VonMudra

Never heard of them being used by snipers. There's like one or two rare photos of them being used by Brandenburgers at the end of the war, but it is so incredibly rare that they might as well be non-existent for all intents and purposes of the game.

Aniallator

I read somewhere that a few snipers used them on the eastern front, and that they were somehow used by the Fallschirmjäger... but who knows if it's true.

Last edited:

Ts4EVER

About the question if marksmen were used in German squads: For what it's worth, the kstn1114c from the first of July 1944 for an armored Panzergrenadier Company assigns one scoped rifle for each assistant squad leader (as opposed to the G41 from the earlier versions).

VonMudra

That is an odd KSTN and I would wonder if it was ever implemented. After all, the KSTN also later denotes entire squads fully equipped with STG44s, and that was an extreme rarity to ever see. German machine gun squad regs also denoted that the assistant gunner was supposed to carry 4 drum mags- yet this is almost never seen to be carried in war time photos. Again, I have to use the KSTN as a guide, but the pictorial and written evidence as the final say. They may have wished to arm ASLs with ZF41 scopes, but it simply didn't happen. If it had, it would be a FAR more common sight in both accounts and pictures.

Ts4EVER

Yeah it's a weird kstn. These often have what appear to be clerical errors as well, like all the "Maschinenpistole" confusion that led to StG44s handed out as smg replacements in mid 1944 (not good for logistics). In this case I wonder if they switched the G41 and the scoped rifles, because in that kstn the deputy platoon leader has a G41, whereas in earlier versions it was the other way around (sniper rifle in the platoon hq, G41s for assistant squad leaders). Maybe this confusion was caused by the G43, which was often used as a sniper weapon.
I do have to somewhat protest against the StG44 issue though. "Extreme rarity" seems a bit over the top for me. If you look at divisional reports, it appears the implementation of the "Sturmzug" actually went according to plan to a surprising degree, at least in the end of 1944 when ammunition production caught up and the stockpiled rifles were issued en masse. In the Ardennes offensive, units like the 12th Volksgrenadier had two StG44 squads in their rifle platoons.

Esu21

I'm sorry, but reading these posts all I'm doing is dreaming of StG 44s in TW...

Since it is in H&G about 80%-85% of the German soldiers that I encounter as soviet have StGs. I only have a pistol and a bayonet against them,cause I'm a NKVD,of course ;)

Talking about percentages, how will weapons be given in TW? Will it be like PR and there are kits, some limited,others not or maybe something different?

VonMudra

Yeah it's a weird kstn. These often have what appear to be clerical errors as well, like all the "Maschinenpistole" confusion that led to StG44s handed out as smg replacements in mid 1944 (not good for logistics). In this case I wonder if they switched the G41 and the scoped rifles, because in that kstn the deputy platoon leader has a G41, whereas in earlier versions it was the other way around (sniper rifle in the platoon hq, G41s for assistant squad leaders). Maybe this confusion was caused by the G43, which was often used as a sniper weapon.

Yah, that seems like something that would make sense. The Gew41 and Gew43 were specifically supposed to be for ASLs to add a bit of firepower to the squad, but never to fully replace the K98k- the Germans simply didn't care enough about replacing the K98k since the semi-auto simply didn't add enough firepower for them to bother. The STG44 of course changed that and was such a major firepower upgrade that they did view that as a replacement for the K98k.

I do have to somewhat protest against the StG44 issue though. "Extreme rarity" seems a bit over the top for me. If you look at divisional reports, it appears the implementation of the "Sturmzug" actually went according to plan to a surprising degree, at least in the end of 1944 when ammunition production caught up and the stockpiled rifles were issued en masse. In the Ardennes offensive, units like the 12th Volksgrenadier had two StG44 squads in their rifle platoons.

I don't mean to say that the STG44 itself was rare (by late 1944/45, it was a pretty common sight amoung the more famous divisions and even Volksgrenadier units), but more that, overall, the vast majority of the German army still was carrying the K98k. It never got near fully replacing the K98k, but it was def more than the supplemental supply of the Gew43, and some divisions did try to bunch those STG44s they did have into assualt units.

Talking about percentages, how will weapons be given in TW? Will it be like PR and there are kits, some limited,others not or maybe something different?

Yes, kits will be limited, and we have been going over planning for how to issue out specialty weapons and deal with kit limitations. We definitely want realistic amounts of weapons per squad, while still giving some freedom of choice for the player.

Aniallator

Can we drop our kit and grab another, like in PR? I hate how one moment you can be a Rifleman, and the next you can be a pilot. It's unrealistic, and just doesn't make sense. Please tell me this isn't in TW...

FlyingR

Can we drop our kit and grab another, like in PR? I hate how one moment you can be a Rifleman, and the next you can be a pilot. It's unrealistic, and just doesn't make sense. Please tell me this isn't in TW...

How would you implement the kit then? I mean, grabbing and dropping is the simplest thing, unless there's a big list of class that involve infantry, medic, sniper, pilot, crewman, etc or a pre-made squads like transport, armor, infantry, etc. then I think grabbing and dropping would be the most logical.

Plus it is quite realistic to grab weapons from the ground in case you ran out of ammo for example.

Mars

Pathfinder Games
You can pick up dropped weapons from the floor, but I don't think it's any more in-depth than that tbh.

FlyingR

Well its not because you need ammo not a gun .

So, the action of grabbing weapons it's not real? I would not be able to grab any gun I wanted in real life? Whether you need it or not it's a different story. Sure, if you needed the ammo you would grab just that.
It's perfect that you would be able to grab both your team's kit as well as the enemy's. PR messed that up... why wouldn't we be able to grab an enemy kit (realistically speaking)?

mmiedzianyy

So, the action of grabbing weapons it's not real? I would not be able to grab any gun I wanted in real life? Whether you need it or not it's a different story. Sure, if you needed the ammo you would grab just that.
It's perfect that you would be able to grab both your team's kit as well as the enemy's. PR messed that up... why wouldn't we be able to grab an enemy kit (realistically speaking)?
Agree, picking up weapons should be allowed no matter what side it is. In real war there were no limitations, the eyes don't close when you pick up an enemy kit..
Besides, picking up ammo and weapons should be "devided" as in RO:Ost Front 41-44.
You could choose whether you want to pick up ammo or weapon. Two separate things.

Esu21

Or if your in a against-tank patrol and your following the one with the Panzerfaust and he dies,it would be great to grab de weapon and finish the job.

FlyingR

The players could take enemy ammos from enemy dead bodies :3
I highly doubt you could fit an MG42 drum into M1 Garand...
Think what would happen in real life guys. You could pick up weapons or you could just pick up mags (just like mmied said), no point on complicating it!

What I would like for example is that if you're kit is Grenadier and you have the M1 Garand and you don't have ammo, you are looking for kits (of players who have died) and they all have other classes like Rifleman (which let's say also have M1 Garand)... but you want to stay Grenadier, so instead of picking the whole kit you just pick the mags. That would be cool, so you wouldn't have to be running around picking every kit to see if they got Grenadier class.

mmiedzianyy

I'll let myself to post a picture, that represent this problem quite good.
RO3.jpg
As you can see, grenades, mags and weapon are laying separately :)

Status
Not open for further replies.