• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Random General Culture Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingR

If you have some cool and interesting facts you want to share, this is where!

Also it's good to debunk many myths or facts here as well.

To begin, Czech Republic will also be officially called Czechia. This is due to give it a "new look" to the country. Making it sound easier means that it will sound warmer and friendlier.

In Spanish, it will be spelled as Chequia.

GO CZECHIA

mmiedzianyy

Awesome topic. Congratz [MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] !

If bees are attacked by hornets they can defend them by boiling them alive. They simply bracket the intruder and warm theirselves up to 41 degrees. Hornets can stand only 40,5. Its only 0,5 degree difference!

FlyingR

Awesome topic. Congratz @FlyingR !

If bees are attacked by hornets they can defend them by boiling them alive. They simply bracket the intruder and warm theirselves up to 41 degrees. Hornets can stand only 40,5. Its only 0,5 degree difference!

WTF? Hahahaha, they are worse than I expected! That is very cool though, very very interesting!

Killen

That's nice of you :) i always have wanted to share Nations facts within this forum!

I actually live in here Salzano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (ehe, i am talking about me and not about Italy...who cares :p)

We are known like "pizza mafia and mandolin", well it's true hahah, but there are still a lot of good people here (Berlusconi is not one of them, rip).

We have "Cosa Nostra" in Sicily, we have "Mala del Brenta" here in Veneto.

We usually say a lot of bad words; i am not sure if i can translate to you.... we offend God, just because...i don't know!

"We" drink a lot, but i don't because i don't like alcohol

We are very friendly :)

A thing i hate about italians is that they usually say a thing and they do the opposite!!! My god, so many jerks here in Italy :(

Btw, long life Toto

I actually know nothing about Czechia, i only know that the Czechs live in Czechia? Right? :D
I forgot to say that some of us are just complete ignorants about geography, don't punish me :(

Aniallator

Random general culture facts? Okay!

I'll be referring to Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei as a cultural area, so I'll just call them IMB.

In IMB, you...

1. ... do not point at anything, especially people! Pointing is considered exceptionally rude. When you want to indicate something you'd normally point to, you curl your fingers down so they're vertical, at a 90º angle to your palm.

2. Never eat using your left hand! In IMB, people don't usually use eating utensils, save for things like soup; they eat using their right hand. They do not use their left hand – and nor should you if you there, because no one may want to touch you – because before the advent and usage of toilet paper, the left hand was the designated hand for... cleaning up.

3. It can be frustrating in IMB, because Indonesian and Malaysian (called Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malay, they are interchangeable and differ only in minor grammar and a handful of words) do not have a word for "please".

And that's all for today's Southeast Asian culture lesson :)

Killen

Random general culture facts? Okay!

I'll be referring to Indonesia, Malaysia, and Brunei as a cultural area, so I'll just call them IMB.

In IMB, you...

1. ... do not point at anything, especially people! Pointing is considered exceptionally rude. When you want to indicate something you'd normally point to, you curl your fingers down so they're vertical, at a 90º angle to your palm.

2. Never eat using your left hand! In IMB, people don't usually use eating utensils, save for things like soup; they eat using their right hand. They do not use their left hand – and nor should you if you there, because no one may want to touch you – because before the advent and usage of toilet paper, the left hand was the designated hand for... cleaning up.

3. It can be frustrating in IMB, because Indonesian and Malaysian (called Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Malay, they are interchangeable and differ only in minor grammar and a handful of words) do not have a word for "please".

And that's all for today's Southeast Asian culture lesson :)

Ehy annialator, i am reading a book called " confession of am economy hitman" and it talks about his experience in Indonesia, etc etc. Are you from Indonesia?

drummer93

Fact 2: I do not see a new update... :confused:

Aniallator

[MENTION=2433]FlyingR[/MENTION] Einstein? WTF? Was he Jewish?

Ehy annialator, i am reading a book called " confession of am economy hitman" and it talks about his experience in Indonesia, etc etc. Are you from Indonesia?

Haha no, I am an apple pie American, but I lived in Indo when I sailed through in 2013 ;)

Simon

Fact 1: Einstein was offered to be the president of Israel in 1952. Offering the Presidency of Israel to Albert Einstein | Jewish Virtual Library

Fact 2: I do not see a new update... :confused:

Same here, maybe they are preparing a big surprise ? My bday is tomorrow so they are probably planning something special just for me (jk ofc xD)
[MENTION=1152]drummer93[/MENTION] they either forgot or they are planning something else and it takes time. Because I was really sad that there was no update and I couldn't sleep because I was thinking what it would be. Also I dreamt that we will get some gameplay videos

Last edited:

Crackonosh

I actually know nothing about Czechia, i only know that the Czechs live in Czechia? Right? :D

Only thing you need to know is that I live there xD

But hey, I have lotsa facts about Czechs and their language, which is pretty hard even to many natives :D

First of all, Czech language is Western Slavic, so we don't have that big problem to understand other Western Slavic languages, not even with Southern and Eastern (Only problem with those is cyrrilic). But, other Slavs do sometimes have problem with understandin' our language, thanks to its reforms and history.

For example, Czech and Polish were very similar languages 600 years ago. this changed when Master Jan Hus changed ligatures (for example, sz in Krakonosz) to more compact "hooks nad commas" (š in Krakonoš, both are sh in English BTW). This followed by other reforms differed Czech and Polish greatly, yet we still don't have that big problem with understandin' each other.

And when we're talkin' 'bout Jan Hus, this guy was very popular in Czech lands back then. But oh well, Catholics didn't like him, so they burned him in Konstanz in 1415. His followers, who called themselves Hussites, overthrew feudals 5 years after and started big-arse civil war because of this. They lasted for 30 years and defeated 4 crusades, only to lose to themselves. Their mighty chant "Ktož sú boží bojovníci" actually stopped last crusade, who simply turned around and fled from Czechia.

There's many more, but I sure bored ya enough today, this isn't bout Czechia after all :laugh:

Simon

Only thing you need to know is that I live there xD

But hey, I have lotsa facts about Czechs and their language, which is pretty hard even to many natives :D

First of all, Czech language is Western Slavic, so we don't have that big problem to understand other Western Slavic languages, not even with Southern and Eastern (Only problem with those is cyrrilic). But, other Slavs do sometimes have problem with understandin' our language, thanks to its reforms and history.

For example, Czech and Polish were very similar languages 600 years ago. this changed when Master Jan Hus changed ligatures (for example, sz in Krakonosz) to more compact "hooks nad commas" (š in Krakonoš, both are sh in English BTW). This followed by other reforms differed Czech and Polish greatly, yet we still don't have that big problem with understandin' each other.

And when we're talkin' 'bout Jan Hus, this guy was very popular in Czech lands back then. But oh well, Catholics didn't like him, so they burned him in Konstanz in 1415. His followers, who called themselves Hussites, overthrew feudals 5 years after and started big-arse civil war because of this. They lasted for 30 years and defeated 4 crusades, only to lose to themselves. Their mighty chant "Ktož sú boží bojovníci" actually stopped last crusade, who simply turned around and fled from Czechia.

There's many more, but I sure bored ya enough today, this isn't bout Czechia after all :laugh:

I'm Slovenian (South Slavic, while I think it's not really South since it basically has to do very little with other south slavic languages) I can understand Czech and Slovak. Slovak for me sounds very similar to Slovenian. I can pretty much understand every Slav language except Polish and Russian.

btw, komar sezona is on its way isn't it, now that we have warm weather :p

Esu21

Really interesting thread, I see lots of interesting facts coming! Taking advange of this, I'll deny some clichés related to Spain :p

First of all: not every place in Spain is sunny and hot. I live in the north (Galicia) and I can tell you that we're famous for having a cold weather and constant raining (except in summer) and we really laugh when foreigners come here thinking that they'll find the same weather as in Andalucia (in the South)

If you think about it, most Spanish clichés come from the south: "paella", bull fighting, "bailaoras"... in the North we have different personalities from one province to the next one. Here in Galicia we're famous for being shy and sarcastic but really friendly and warm with everyone, for having dishes like cocido gallego, lacon con grelos and my favourite: filloas, which are like French crêpes but tast¡er (only search all these in google pictures if you have already eaten xD...) and we're also famous for our celtic heritage.

The rest of the North provices are quite "average" culturally, except for the Basque Country and Cataluña, but I think I've bored you enough for today :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.