• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Random General Culture Facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killen

Only thing you need to know is that I live there xD

But hey, I have lotsa facts about Czechs and their language, which is pretty hard even to many natives :D

First of all, Czech language is Western Slavic, so we don't have that big problem to understand other Western Slavic languages, not even with Southern and Eastern (Only problem with those is cyrrilic). But, other Slavs do sometimes have problem with understandin' our language, thanks to its reforms and history.

For example, Czech and Polish were very similar languages 600 years ago. this changed when Master Jan Hus changed ligatures (for example, sz in Krakonosz) to more compact "hooks nad commas" (š in Krakonoš, both are sh in English BTW). This followed by other reforms differed Czech and Polish greatly, yet we still don't have that big problem with understandin' each other.

And when we're talkin' 'bout Jan Hus, this guy was very popular in Czech lands back then. But oh well, Catholics didn't like him, so they burned him in Konstanz in 1415. His followers, who called themselves Hussites, overthrew feudals 5 years after and started big-arse civil war because of this. They lasted for 30 years and defeated 4 crusades, only to lose to themselves. Their mighty chant "Ktož sú boží bojovníci" actually stopped last crusade, who simply turned around and fled from Czechia.

There's many more, but I sure bored ya enough today, this isn't bout Czechia after all :laugh:

Btw, are you new here? I have never seen you!

Simon

W Polsce sezon na komary się jeszcze nie zaczął!
I wonder if you understund this :D

I just read this "Slovene, a South Slavic language with significant similarities to the West Slavic languages"

oh and yes I do. I had to read it 2 times to get it but in Slovene it would be:

"Na poljskem se sezona komarjev še ni začela"

You used word "na" which means "on" and "W" which would be same as "V" which means "in"
And if I directly translated it would say "Season on mosquitos" like we would start hunting them :p but I understand what it means because it makes sense if you read it, but not in Slovenian.

And you said "Mosquito season didn't start in Poland yet"

FlyingR

Apparently when the American Civil War started, Robert E. Lee, from the Confederate side, didn't own any slaves whereas many generals from the Union, did. Is this true [MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION]?

VonMudra

When the war started, the slaves were in his wife's ownership officially, however he had personally owned slaves as late as 1852. And considering 1800s era laws about women, any property owned by her was essentially his property, as his wife was officially his property. So yes, his household had and kept slaves, and he also did allow his troops to raid towns in Maryland and Pennsylvania to capture and re-enslave freed slaves.

As for Union generals, yes, there absolutely were, as the slave states of Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland, and Delaware all stayed with the Union, plus there were a good bunch of southern-born officers who did side with the Union. One needs to remember that when the North went to war, the original stated reasons were not the elimination of slavery, which didn't come around until Emancipation Proclamation at the end of 1862. That said, the South absolutely had slavery as one of their top, if not the top, reasons for secession, as they had seen the wings shifting in public opinion and realized that slavery was dying even if Lincoln had promised during the presidential campaign that he would not abolish slavery. Secession was simply a final effort to prevent the overturning of the South's economic order.

Aniallator

In a fit of madness, Ottoman sultan Ibrahim I had his entire harem – 280 concubines – drowned in the Bosphorus.

FlyingR

@VonMuda, oh wow! I read that the slaves were his father's, which was passed down to. Didn't know that was that complex hahaha, cheers for the info!

In a fit of madness, Ottoman sultan Ibrahim I had his entire harem – 280 concubines – drowned in the Bosphorus.

Those were the good ol' days? xD

Crackonosh

I am Crackonosh, the spirit of mountains, destroyer of fat German...

And I'm that guy who came here last year, made 50 posts and forgot this place exists :D

Crackonosh

So, it seems like Warez is goin' to die, thanks to Denuvo. I mean, it,'s been half a year sinice JC3 was released, yet we don't have crack for it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

FlyingR

I found this cool fact where during WWII in Norway, the Lebensborn was also implemented. This means that German men mated with hot Norwegian girls. Now, there's one famous girl who was born from a German sergeant and Norwegian woman that you all somehow know: Frida Lyngstad or Anni-Frid Lyngstad. The black haired singer from ****ing ABBA.

She thought her father died during the war but later found out that he was still alive. They actually met around 1977.

Status
Not open for further replies.