• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Realistic suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

I think TW's among the sadly few games whose developers don't see as a cash cow, but a source of pure enjoyment for anyone. I imagine many will play TW because it's free and has mouthwatering visuals, not because it's a freaking awesome WW2 realism game with seemingly the best devs in the history of devs. Upon release there'll be a surge of players from FH2, H&G, PR, RO2, you name it. Soon however the lone wolves and Rambos will discover that unless you work together, you won't last long.

I have no doubt there'll be some solo players and just plain ***holes now and then, but with the sheer dedication required to operate with any effectiveness, I think many potentially unwanted players will be sifted out. I also think many such players, or simply more casual shoot-'em-up players, will grow to play less like it's CoD and more like it's Arma. Look at the PR community, for example; at least ninety percent of the playerbase is dedicated to teamwork. I have no doubt TW will find itself with a similarly dedicated community.

Aniallator

In many games, you can cook a smoke grenade and the thing won't go off... I hope it will in TW! It'd be cool if when you cook a smoke grenade too long and it goes off, you drop it instantly.

SpaceCroissant

In many games, you can cook a smoke grenade and the thing won't go off... I hope it will in TW! It'd be cool if when you cook a smoke grenade too long and it goes off, you drop it instantly.

I think that if we didn't make it drop instantly we'd get some pretty funny moments where people are streak across the battlefield with smoke grenades :D

FlyingR

It would be cool if we could return a thrown grenade! Some games have that feature already, I don't think it would be hard to implement?

Aniallator

That'd be a great feature! It doesn't happen often, but there's always a time when a grenade rolls up to you and all you can do is think "Ah, sh*t." However, to throw back a grenade shouldn't function like throwing one of your own grenades, where you can have the thing equipped without pulling the pin and automatically throwing it. To throw an already thrown grenade, you'd grab it and automatically throw it in whatever direction you're pointed. If you were to have to manually throw it, chances are it'd blow before you got the thing out of your hands!

I assume we can adjust our weapon's sight using the mouse wheel. Now, imagine if we could do something similar with grenades. After you've pressed whatever key to equip your grenade, the default throwing position should be overhand; you're clutching the grenade in your right hand, with the index finger of your left locked around the pin. You're holding the grenade close to your right shoulder. By scrolling the mouse wheel down like you would to lower your weapon sight (doesn't matter how far down, just down at all) you'd change throwing position so that you're holding the grenade close to your right hip. Throwing with the grenade in the former position throws it overhand (for longer range engagements or over obstacles), while throwing it in the latter position throws it underhand (for closer range engagements or, for example, up a staircase). I really, really hope we see at least something like this in TW, being able to throw grenades overhand and underhand.

There are other potential features for grenades that'd be great, like being able to toss them around corners without having to expose your entire body.

Sydd

Damn I dont want to imagine the amount of scripting the overhand and underhand variations alone will need. Anyways I like the idea, more versatility means more openings for engagements. But Ani.. when someone throws a nade at you I doubt it is possible to pick it up and throw it back, I'd rather kick it back. Cause the goal here is to save you and/or your team from being blown away, so you don't have the luxury of time to pick it up and aim at the guy who threw it at you.

Btw, just out of curiosity, in BoB in the carentan episode, anyone remember how they used nades? You hear a click sound, just a second after that the nade explodes... how?
Min: 3:00,4:00

Edit: Well sharing is disabled but you can watch it on youtube itself.

Aniallator

Well one of my points was that you won't aim the grenade, but automatically throw it. Just grab and toss. Kicking won't work, because really, how far are you going to kick a grenade ;) As for over/underhand, I can't imagine it'd be that hard to implement... you're just changing throwing position.

Funny you mention that scene, I've always wondered what that *clink* was!

Simon

Well one of my points was that you won't aim the grenade, but automatically throw it. Just grab and toss. Kicking won't work, because really, how far are you going to kick a grenade ;) As for over/underhand, I can't imagine it'd be that hard to implement... you're just changing throwing position.

Funny you mention that scene, I've always wondered what that *clink* was!

I really like Project Reality's grenade throw, you just aim and it throws it and its so satisfying for some reason, I'd like to have same mechanic in TW.

It can also prevent failed throws, so you don't turn your teammates or you in pieces

Last edited:

Esu21

I just hope I get used to launching them...you know what it feels when you throw a grenade into a house's window,it fails going through the window and comes back... run,baby,run

Aniallator

I really like Project Reality's grenade throw, you just aim and it throws it and its so satisfying for some reason, I'd like to have same mechanic in TW.

It can also prevent failed throws, so you don't turn your teammates or you in pieces

I disagree, because PR doesn't allow you to cook grenades, something TW needs to have. And... how does the PR system prevent failed throws?

@FlyingR I know, I've never used my bayonet in PR! It's useless! And I hate having to change between deployed and undeployed MGs.

Something PR implemented very well - and I hope to see implemented similarly in TW - are bullet and explosion effects. Bullets spray a plume of sediment when they hit the ground, and explosions just look real. I love how you can see all those tiny flecks of sediment in the air.

Last edited:

Simon

I disagree, because PR doesn't allow you to cook grenades, something TW needs to have. And... how does the PR system prevent failed throws?

@FlyingR I know, I've never used my bayonet in PR! It's useless! And I hate having to change between deployed and undeployed MGs.

Something PR implemented very well - and I hope to see implemented similarly in TW - are bullet and explosion effects. Bullets spray a plume of sediment when they hit the ground, and explosions just look real. I love how you can see all those tiny flecks of sediment in the air.

It can prevent failed throws in a way if you throw grenade and something happens (lag, low FPS...etc..etc.etc.) and you don't hold your throw button for long enough and it can throw it few meters away and can still make damage to you.

Aniallator

So I've had some thoughts...

1. Limited ammo for static MGs. RO2 gave static MGs an unlimited number of ammo belts/boxes. From a realism POV, it's just so damned annoying.

2. Running reloads. Interstellar Marines does this well, where you can reload your weapon while running.

3. British paratrooper uniforms. I'm sure you guys have them, but we haven't seen them so I thought I'd mention them. They're namely unique for their helmets. Don't forget lots of foliage for camouflage on their helmets, and have their faces blackened.

4. Offline firing range (like that shown in the weapon demos) and map exploration.

5. As a more personal request, have a radio in a random house on the map playing Radio Paris. And I'd kill to have incoming bullets sound like in Band of Brothers...

mmiedzianyy

So I've had some thoughts...

1. Limited ammo for static MGs. RO2 gave static MGs an unlimited number of ammo belts/boxes. From a realism POV, it's just so damned annoying.

2. Running reloads. Interstellar Marines does this well, where you can reload your weapon while running.

3. British paratrooper uniforms. I'm sure you guys have them, but we haven't seen them so I thought I'd mention them. They're namely unique for their helmets. Don't forget lots of foliage for camouflage on their helmets, and have their faces blackened.

4. Offline firing range (like that shown in the weapon demos) and map exploration.

5. As a more personal request, have a radio in a random house on the map playing Radio Paris. And I'd kill to have incoming bullets sound like in Band of Brothers...
1. Yes, in RO2 it's not that realistic as it should be.
2. YES!! Reloading while running is a must!
3. Agree!
4. And all the arsenal available to shoot imediately.
5. Pretty good proper mood building factors!

Good thoughts Ani!

Status
Not open for further replies.