• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Realistic suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindfire

Since LuckyOne mentioned buffs, will there be a sort of suppression "buff" on soldiers taking fire from e.g. an MG? You know, they get dizzy a bit, disoriented, their hands shake.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Under Geneva conventions during WW2, medics, be they wearing medical armbands or not, were fully allowed to carry "self defense" weapons and use them in self defense.

No idea how I managed to leave carrying it in self-defense, but you're right; I apologies!

Since LuckyOne mentioned buffs, will there be a sort of suppression "buff" on soldiers taking fire from e.g. an MG? You know, they get dizzy a bit, disoriented, their hands shake.

I believe we'd need to look at all kinds of "debuffs" suppression could perhaps be - anything from gentle shaking, some dizzyness, gentle blur and changes to the depth of field, are all possibilities; it's hard to judge how a soldier would react to suppression in real-life as it's quite individual, but what springs to mind is the soldier taking fire being unorginazed and nervous as bare minimum.

The problem I see it, is how to make it feel "real", and it's one of the things we're trying to iron out to be both believeable and realistic as one could get it.

Maniche

Last edited:

Troy

Duke, mumble creates 3d voice chat and the use of radio's though i do not like how the radio system works in project reality. It is confusing and annoying that you can hear you squad members without knowing its on the radio or not. Arma's one is much better. Radio voice has static and it beeps when someone uses it.

Also another thing about games such as arma and project reality, there medics systems are good but, anyone can be healed and most people tend to survive massive injuries which in real life would not be survivable. Perhaps when people are hit in the head or have several bullet wounds or have been blown up by a grenade which landed by them they should be dead straight away. Then on the odd occasion he doesn't die from being shot or blown up it would be extremely hard to keep him alive and he would need alot of med supplies. Thus making it pointless to even bother reviving him unless you can carry him to a casualty collection point where there is more than 1 medic.

Determinist

Hello!

14. Squad bonuses - A squad of 3 or more people would receive stamina, suppression resistance and more effective suppression bonuses.
As you said these are realistic suggestions, so what I try to say is, that this suggestion is not realistic at all, because IRL, when you're in a mission with 3-5 soldiers, you do not receive stamina for no damn reason... so yeah.

litchu

it's hard to judge how a soldier would react to suppression in real-life as it's quite individual
The more games you play the less you react to suppression? There should be a minimum though ofcourse

Troy

As you said these are realistic suggestions, so what I try to say is, that this suggestion is not realistic at all, because IRL, when you're in a mission with 3-5 soldiers, you do not receive stamina for no damn reason... so yeah.

Not to sure about everyone else but If I was on my own in a combat situation whilst under fire I would feel the need to hide and try not to even make a movement because of the fear of an enemy squad pointing all there guns at me. If I was with a fireteam in a combat situation I would most likely (I have never been in a combat situation by the way) have more momentum and want to get up shoot back and keep the guys around me going. Which sort of in a way would give you the feel of being less supressed.

With the stamina thing its hard to say it isn't to realistic bar that you would have more of a need to keep up with everyone else and not fall behind thus making you try and run further.

The suppression bonus on the other hand kind of speaks for itself. If you were shooting at someone alone you wouldn't really keep them pinned if there was 9+ shooting at him he would be like "**** dat ****, I aint moving!"

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Not to sure about everyone else but If I was on my own in a combat situation whilst under fire I would feel the need to hide and try not to even make a movement because of the fear of an enemy squad pointing all there guns at me. If I was with a fireteam in a combat situation I would most likely (I have never been in a combat situation by the way) have more momentum and want to get up shoot back and keep the guys around me going. Which sort of in a way would give you the feel of being less supressed.

Excactly!

Maniche

VonMudra

Main thing I am looking for in a suppression system for this, is making the player totally unable to fire back effectively. Also, all weapons will be capable of suppression, just each bullet will only apply a little. Thus a single rifleman would be rather unable to suppress a squad, whereas a MG would be fully capable of such. This would also allow for differences in squad tactics, with British relaying more on the full squad to attempt to gain fire superiority, whilst the Germans would be centered around the MG for gaining fire superiority, just as in real life. Whichever squad can gain fire superiority in the first seconds of the fight would be, as in real life, the winner. One hope is, since one squad would be obviously losing, is this would force more thinking about tactics, as well as squad attempts to fall back and attempt different approaches and trying to gain advantage, rather than running around and dying a lot. All will be beta-tested heavily of course, but the hope is to guide players to the decision that playing as a squad, tactically, is much more effective and feasible than lone-wolfing.

Roughbeak

I have a question, in Traction Wars - if you die can you spawn back again like in the BF series (yes realism does affect no spawn again, like in PR)? :)

Last edited:

Sir Apple

No hanni! When you die, your computer has a fatal error, setting the tower and monitor into a burning self combustion.

We have no plans to reimburse you :)

Eerrrr, on a serious note, yes there will be re-spawns after death. I personally am not a fan of "1 life per round" type of game modes.

apple

Roughbeak

Ok awesome, thanks. :)
TW might be more enjoyable with more than 1 life per game, appreciate the game more and scenery :D

Ts4EVER

If done right, a suppression effect could be a great tool to further squad cohesion and cooperation. BF3 already had some good concepts here:

- actual measurable effect and not just slight blurring of screen
- points for suppression
- suppression for all weapons

However, I didn't like how the effect was handled by increasing deviation. I hate deviation in ironsights with a passion. In my opinion the effect of incoming fire should be as followed:

- random flinch when bullets hit close or allies die in fov
- graphical representation by dirt splattering on screen

Suppression then accumulates and once a certain treshold is reached, the character goes into panic mode, which gives several penalties:

- higher sway
- slower reload time (maybe include animation of fumbling with mags etc)
- reduced fov

This would fade if you spend some time out of fire, for example by retreating. Squad leaders could have an ability to instanty rally squad members that are close to them, however, this ability would be on a long cooldown.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
If done right, a suppression effect could be a great tool to further squad cohesion and cooperation. BF3 already had some good concepts here:

- actual measurable effect and not just slight blurring of screen
- points for suppression
- suppression for all weapons

However, I didn't like how the effect was handled by increasing deviation. I hate deviation in ironsights with a passion. In my opinion the effect of incoming fire should be as followed:

- random flinch when bullets hit close or allies die in fov
- graphical representation by dirt splattering on screen

Suppression then accumulates and once a certain treshold is reached, the character goes into panic mode, which gives several penalties:

- higher sway
- slower reload time (maybe include animation of fumbling with mags etc)
- reduced fov

This would fade if you spend some time out of fire, for example by retreating. Squad leaders could have an ability to instanty rally squad members that are close to them, however, this ability would be on a long cooldown.

Good post!

Maniche

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Some really interesting ideas there @Ts4EVER. In particular having suppression "points", whilst the game isn't about points it is just one way to reward teamwork rather than just the person who makes the actual kill.

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Some really interesting ideas there @Ts4EVER. In particular having suppression "points", whilst the game isn't about points it is just one way to reward teamwork rather than just the person who makes the actual kill.

Yes this is a good idea, just don't make it over the top with messages popping out of your screen fo every sh** you do like in BF3. That just takes away from the immersion.

Also, how about ammo sharing? That could be a cool feature if you could drop/give some mags to a buddy who has run out... Points as a reward should also be granted in that kind of a situation, of course.

Ts4EVER

It would be more elegant to indicate succesful suppression by panicked shouts from the enemy or something like that. Another thing could be by having two kinds of hit indicators, like a red one for a hit and a white one for suppression.

ScheifferB

Hello!
I am happy to post these, i hope you can use something even if you have to balance, or change.

1. Rifle grenades (cup launcher) - Just like in Forgotten Hope 2 with various bombs.

2. Morphine - A soldier would have 1 bandage and 2-3 morphine shots, and the Medic class (if there will be) would have much more and more effective bandages and could resupply your morphine.

3. Bullet penetration - (I did not find anything about it) Not a CoD like, but realistic.

4. Sequenced reloading - I don't know if this is possible but it would be realistic. Once I remove the clip for example from a Thompson, and i change weapons, the next time i change to Thompson the reload would continue from inserting the clip.
And don't forget about the bullet in the barrel! :D

5. 3D voice chat - Like Troy mentioned would give huge amount of realism into the game, since in the real ww2 there was no Teamspeak. :D

6. Limited classes - I hope that you already have this. Just like in RnL and Red Orhestra 2.

7. Mortars - I have already seen this. I hope you will add them.

8. Crouch sprint

9. Shotgun - A special or map specific class, maybe a pickup kit. A realistic shotgun which is effective up to 40 meters not a usual 8-10 meter shotgun like in most games.

10. Ghilie suit - British snipers have already used them in ww2, i don't know more :)

11. Folding map - Just like Troy mentioned, and a minimap would totally ruin the realism feeling.

12. Markers - Colored smoke grenades, flare guns to mark positions, enemies.

13. Suppression - Make it serious, even extreme, like disabled sprint and no iron sight zoom/focus (If there will be)

14. Squad bonuses - A squad of 3 or more people would receive stamina, suppression resistance and more effective suppression bonuses.

15. Radioman - These classes could communicate with each other at any range. Of course with a radio.

16. Ammo and supplies on Jeeps and carriers.

17. Compass - Selectable compass instead of HUD.

18. Injuries - Like in Resistance and Liberation, for example if you are shot in the arm you will drop the gun or will have greater weapons sway, on leg shot slower running speed or disabled sprint. Injured soldiers should moan, or cry :D
Morphine would be useful to stop the moaning, improve walking speed or regain some accuracy for 5-10 minutes.

19. Destruction of nature - Battlefield Bad Company Vietnam for example, its sometimes useful to destroy hedges, small trees bushes so the enemy will have no cover.

20. Scope glint - Not so shiny like in BF3 but smaller. I don't know anything about this only I heard that some ww2 snipers did not use scope because of the glint.

21. Perks - Nothing like COD! You chose a perk for example longer sprint, you would have a 15% chance to get THAT perk on spawn and you could sprint 20% more. Another example that leather belt (I dont know its name, but here http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/humanplus/3a49345a.jpg is a picture) would have a 50% to get and would enable weapon switch while loading. Or a speed loader for the Webley. Maybe even team based perks that could help the squadmates around you.

22. A game mode with no HUD - This is a must have! :D

23. Ability to throw back grenades - This could be even a perk.

24. Blood effect - only on headshot as a reward so you will know if you hit him.

25. No kill messages.

26. Blind fire - Please try to add it, it would be awesome.

If you would like me to explain something just ask!

I agree with the majority of suggestions here, but not all. Perhaps in the long term some of them would work, but some I find strictly unnecessary. Of course these are just MY OPINIONS and not FACT.

I'd say a big NO to perks. Perks are something that have become ever more popular from the generation of Call of Duty. I find all they do is accommodate Call of Duty players to not ***** and whine. The only perk I've ever seen work relatively well is the command bonus in RO2, when you're around your team leader or squad leader you're inspired, thus being less suppressed etc. So I personally think NO to perks.

A few others I think are currently unnecessary but FANTASTIC ideas for the long term:

Destruction of Nature (However with the Cry 3 engine anything is possible)
Blind Fire
Shotguns
Gillie Suits

In terms of 'Blood Effect' are you suggesting there are only blood effects on head shots? or are you suggesting it's a bit more detailed while someone is being shot in the head, i.e. Brain Matter etc?

- Scheif

Status
Not open for further replies.