• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Realistic suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

1. Diving when going from standing to prone while running.

2. Seamless change between running and crouch that has you slide a bit or something.

3. On maps involving paratroopers, add lots of plane sounds for the initial minute of the game to reflect the transport planes flying over.

4. Allow you to run while cooking a grenade.

FlyingR

I personally love this idea... and its possibilitys (6):laugh:

Yes that would be great!

I know [MENTION=195]hannibaldinski[/MENTION] has come up with the compass, but what of instead of a compass with N, E, S, W we had the clock system? Like 1 to 12? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is more realistic to say "Germans 11 o'clock!" rather than "Germans NW!" I think this would add more to the immersion :)

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
Usually, you just shout out the "o'clock" directions as you go, and the common directions used for navigating the terrain is with the standard North/South/East/West system

That's how we did it at least!

FlyingR

Usually, you just shout out the "o'clock" directions as you go, and the common directions used for navigating the terrain is with the standard North/South/East/West system

That's how we did it at least!

You are correct! Especially you Maniche, you would know perfectly! but most people would get really confused if someone said "Enemy 4 o'clock" unless you had like 'compass' or a bearing that would go from 1 to 12. You could also do that when you open the map or if you press a button like 'C' you could open a compass but I understand that this would add extra work although this could be done for future Chapters if you wish :)

I'm talking here about more realism and immersion that can make the player feel like he is living the battle. For me at least, hearing "Enemy 5 o'clock!" sounds much cooler and feels more realistic than "Enemy west!"

Aniallator

1. Realistic crawling animations. I finally managed to update Verdun and played a few rounds, and of all things was really feeling the lack of proper crawl animations. The kind of animations where you're pushing yourself forward on your elbows with your rifle resting on your forearms, or clawing yourself forward with one hand and clutching your pistol in the other.

2. Detailed hands. This sounds like a strange request, but I've got to say, it'd be great to see the player's hands look detailed and realistic, as opposed to some games where the guns can look fine, whereas the player's hands look like pale rocks with triangle-shaped fingernails. Based on the weapon demos, they're looking pretty good.

Aniallator

Two suggestions related to sprinting. One... generally in games, when sprinting, heavy breathing sounds don't happen until you've run out of stamina. This is, of course, totally unrealistic, you breath heavily as you run. It'd be great to hear breathing sounds in TW while sprinting (perhaps they trigger if you've been sprinting for more than ten seconds or something). Also, in terms of sprinting animations, every game I've ever played portrays them as almost being in slow motion; your weapon sways steadily from side to side as though you're waving it around. Also unrealistic, if you're sprinting at full tilt the weapon you're holding doesn't sway from side to side slowly, it swings back and forth really damn fast. If you have a weapon or something that resembles one, try sprinting with it as fast as you can to get the idea. Would be cool to see this as well!

EDIT: Just occurred to me, but I think it makes sense for players to succumb to the shock effect mentioned in http://www.tractionwars.com/news-room/3694-news-update-54-road-overlord-part-2-3-a.html when they receive non-lethal bullet wounds, and perhaps severe explosion wounds as well.

Last edited:

FlyingR

I don't think this might happen any time soon, but would it be possible that you check/open the map when you're only standing still or at least walking? Realistically speaking, it is very difficult and troublesome to read a map while running (especially with a weapon).

This would slow the game a bit due to being very careful onto where you are going. Unless you want quick games, that is.

Aniallator

I don't think this might happen any time soon, but would it be possible that you check/open the map when you're only standing still or at least walking? Realistically speaking, it is very difficult and troublesome to read a map while running (especially with a weapon).

This would slow the game a bit due to being very careful onto where you are going. Unless you want quick games, that is.

+1 to this, not to sound too Arma-ish but it does seem like a sensible feature, that you can't open the any maps when running.

drummer93

agree

Aniallator

Ponds and streams, I think, are natural features that so many FPS games leave out. How many FPS' do you know have ponds? Where ponds/streams are realistic, I'd love to have them. By Pegasus bridge, for example, the gliders landed in a marsh; one of the Brits actually drowned when his glider split open. I'd love to have a good foot of water there, so you actually splash through it, and stuff.

Actually, how about you can't run in water deeper than a half meter or so?

cplbogan

to add to this one thing i would love to see in this game is a full medical systum for assessing and treating injures kind of likr in the ACE mod for arma 3 but easier to use none of this take some pills and your good to go kind of thing. also no really related to this but will new zealand troops be playable in this game we kiwis get left out alot and its depressing thanks :)

Aniallator

to add to this one thing i would love to see in this game is a full medical systum for assessing and treating injures kind of likr in the ACE mod for arma 3 but easier to use none of this take some pills and your good to go kind of thing.

IIRC Overlord will feature a basic medical system; being non-lethally wounded results in wound penalties (increased recoil/sway and so on), and triggers blood loss. All roles will have a bandage, and failure to bandage a wound soon enough will result in your bleeding out. Overlord will not feature medics, however they are planned for a later chapter. I imagine the medical system will improve as the game develops :)

also no really related to this but will new zealand troops be playable in this game we kiwis get left out alot and its depressing thanks :)

Aussies, Belgians, Italians, Kiwis... WW2 games are a crime :) Don't go holding your breath, but if we ever see the North African or Pacific theaters in TW, there's every chance we'll see the ANZACs as well :)

Aniallator

A minor UI suggestion for [MENTION=195]hannibaldinski[/MENTION]. I've found that Squad has a very handy and timesaving, yet subtle feature; grid letters/numbers are situated over the middle of their column or row...

... rather than next to the border of their column or row.

It makes finding grid coordinants faster to a surprising degree.

Aniallator

What looking through a scope looks like IRL. IMO this – just as seen in the photo – is the best way to implement scopes, plus a generous blur everywhere outside the scope lense, and of course minus the PiP.

drummer93

What looking through a scope looks like IRL. IMO this – just as seen in the photo – is the best way to implement scopes, plus a generous blur everywhere outside the scope lense, and of course minus the PiP.

Are you proposing something like the scopes in H&G?

Spoiler:

Aniallator

Are you proposing something like the scopes in H&G?

Oh, you make that sound awful xD But yes, I think H&G's done a good job at showing scopes when there's no PiP, though I don't like how there's blur over areas of the scopes lense; blur should only be outside the lense as the lense should remain clear, like in the photo I posted.

drummer93

Oh, you make that sound awful xD But yes, I think H&G's done a good job at showing scopes when there's no PiP, though I don't like how there's blur over areas of the scopes lense; blur should only be outside the lense as the lense should remain clear, like in the photo I posted.

haha no, was not my intention. I think it looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.