• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Revive the Dying Genre of FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swaffy

Most of us are old enough to remember "the good days of FPS games" when we had the early Medal of Honor games, early Battlefield games, even the early Call of Duty games. The list can go on for a while. And most of us can see how there has been a slow decline in quality in the newer FPS games where there just isn't as much "soul" put into the games like there used to be. This includes gameplay and the soundtracks.

One fine example is the battle of Arnhem in Medal of Honor: Frontline.
[video=youtube;9nMw2RLq4_g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nMw2RLq4_g[/video]

Music and a story that has the strength to pull on your heart strings, it's just not like that today.

So, Traction Wars development team, keep your head high as many FPS gamers today are looking forward to an FPS game that has soul. Intimate music, careful level design, and gameplay that not only causes excitement but grabs our hearts.

~ Swaff

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I completely agree. Most (not all) FPS games these days are all about the quick rush and not about anything deeper. Games are an almost unequalled way to tell a story and tug at the heart strings of the watcher when done right.

Much easier to achieve in Singleplayer of course but we aren't overlooking it's importance in Multiplayer.

Feldmeijer

When I play 'popular' games such as COD or Battlefield, I always get the feeling that they made the game just for the sake of making money, not because it's what they like to do.

Koenigstiger

I always get a feeling of despair when playing RO2 or at least I did when I had the music playing, I've turned it off since then because that immersion factor

I don't think we get enough of that powerful music that we used to get in certain games, CoD 1 rushing up the Reichstag at the end of the game would be one moment in particular I remember.

:(

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Pff good old times hihi :p Call of Duty 1, 2 & even 4 where very good. Not to forget battlefield 2.

I promes you all I will do anything as interaction designer to give TW the good old feeling that games had. From the moment you double click on the TW icon on your desktop till you drive over callum with your jeep :)

Koenigstiger

I'm being a tad critical, modern shooters are just **** that appeals to the masses so you wont find much emotion in the music from those games (I think)

unlike all of the Mass Effect music tho

[video=youtube;yVm_ljDSdwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA[/video]

Roughbeak

Yeah, I see way too many indie games all consumed in money and power. I love Traction Wars because they are different from anyone else, they strive to be realistic, historically accurate, fun, and yet at the same time it's free!

In my honest opinion the members here just absolutely rock/awesome! :) Keep it up devs!

calgoblin

Pathfinder Games
I've only played about half of the first Mass Effect. (I'm bad, I know.) But a certain someone on the team has pushed the music to me many times, and it all sounds great. I kind of don't want to play the games anymore because I feel I know the music too well, but I know it for all the wrong context!

From the moment you double click on the TW icon on your desktop till you drive over callum with your jeep :)

We'll need a musical theme for every time that happens I guess.

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Total war games are the best. Im currently trying to conquer europe with my dad in medieval 1. We made our own rules so we could play singelplayer together as there is no mp :D

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm being a tad critical, modern shooters are just **** that appeals to the masses so you wont find much emotion in the music from those games (I think)

unlike all of the Mass Effect music tho

[video=youtube;yVm_ljDSdwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA[/video]

Note @calgobin - I didn't mention Mass Effect first ;) It was a close call but it wasn't me.

Roughbeak

[MENTION=147]VonMudra[/MENTION], just out of curiosity and because this is my favorite battle of WW2. :D In that video Swaffy posted in the first, at 0:50 sec into the video, is that the same railroad bridge in this photo below (it's in the black one)?

Status
Not open for further replies.