• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Roles and sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aniallator

I've been thinking about how roles and sections should be implemented, and here's how I see it...

There would be two types of roles, normal roles (limited per section) and special roles (limited per section and per team). Normal roles, of course, would be NCO, assault, LMG gunner, grenadier, and rifleman. Special roles would be engineer (when it's implemented), medic, mortarman, radioman, and sniper. Normal roles would be limited per section as follows...

1 NCO
1 assault
1 LMG gunner
1 grenadier
4 riflemen

And special roles would be limited per team as follows...

1 engineer
1 medic
1 mortarman
1 radioman
1 sniper

Of course, the special role limit would increase when the player count increases. If you're a section's SL, you should have to occupy the NCO role, and all other roles should be locked until you resign as SL.

Some roles - all special roles, and some normal ones - would be locked until X number of Y roles in the section have been occupied. A new section would have all NCO, LMG gunner, and rifleman roles available (one NCO, one LMG gunner, and four riflemen). The assault and grenadier roles (one assault and one grenadier) would both unlock when the NCO role, LMG gunner role, and at least one rifleman role have been occupied. Special roles would unlock when the NCO, assault, LMG gunner, grenadier, and at least two riflemen roles have been occupied. If the role quota to unlock the assault and grenadier roles or the special roles is met, but then someone leaves the section, the roles would lock again.

This way, you can't have an überteam of guys with automatic weapons and explosives; even a three player section has to have a rifleman. This system also limits special roles to sections that have at least six players, thus sections that are most likely to be organized and use teamwork.

Per section, one NCO role would be available because there's only one SL. One assault role would be available because if two assault roles were available, half the players in a full eight-player section would have automatic weapons (the NCO, the two assaults, and the LMG gunner), plus, historically speaking, besides the SL only the assistant SL (represented in TW by the assault role) would have used an SMG day-to-day. Anyway, one LMG gunner role would be available because unlike today's sections, a WW2-era section wouldn't have been issued more than one LMG. One grenadier for the same reason, and four riflemen because most of a section composed of riflemen.

I'd be keen to know what you guys think about this!

VonMudra

We've actually already pretty much designed the classes/loadouts (see the British char model updates for that, in fact), and have been working on a squad system that would not only satisfy play ability, but also realism for squad design for each nation involved.

Aniallator

We've actually already pretty much designed the classes/loadouts (see the British char model updates for that, in fact), and have been working on a squad system that would not only satisfy play ability, but also realism for squad design for each nation involved.

Cool! I'll be very interested to hear what kind of system you guys have come up with. I just hope it won't be possible for half a section to have automatic weapons...

VonMudra

Cool! I'll be very interested to hear what kind of system you guys have come up with. I just hope it won't be possible for half a section to have automatic weapons...

It will not, unless it would be realistic to do so (such as Volksgrenaidier units if we ever made it to Bulge, since they got tons of STG44, or such).

Mars

Pathfinder Games
That was my main issue with RO2 - over half the team had automatic weapons.

There will be no medic and mortarman FYI.

Last edited:

Mars

Pathfinder Games
If any Programmers out there would like to develop a mortar system then they're free to come and help us!

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Unfortunately we have to draw the line somewhere. When we sat down last January to reappraise OVERLORD we had to look seriously at what formed a core part of the gameplay and what could be added at a later date. Sadly mortarmen and a proper medic class were some of the less obvious sacrifices we had to make to create a feasible release timetable. We've still got plans for them but we've had to push them back until a future chapter.

Personally I would love to play as a mortar-man and I just know [MENTION=109]Maniche[/MENTION] is itching to be a medic but to get the core elements done properly we will have to wait a bit longer.

mmiedzianyy

Unfortunately we have to draw the line somewhere. When we sat down last January to reappraise OVERLORD we had to look seriously at what formed a core part of the gameplay and what could be added at a later date. Sadly mortarmen and a proper medic class were some of the less obvious sacrifices we had to make to create a feasible release timetable. We've still got plans for them but we've had to push them back until a future chapter.

Personally I would love to play as a mortar-man and I just know @Maniche is itching to be a medic but to get the core elements done properly we will have to wait a bit longer.

Fine..

Hehe!
In all seriousness, guys do what you have to do to deliver this game in promised time. We can sacrafice these classes just to enjoy De Pure Brilliance as fast as possible! For me, the most important thing is to have production with solid, smooth gameplay.

FlyingR

Personally I would love to play as a mortar-man and I just know @Maniche is itching to be a medic but to get the core elements done properly we will have to wait a bit longer.

I understand perfectly, and I believe I can speak for most members here that we really don't mind and acknowledge that you have to be realist in terms of what you can achieve in a period of time in order to release the game. We can wait until next chapter for other features.

The thing is, for me at least, I was just a surprise hearing that there will be no medics, mostly since there has been a lot of talk and discussions about them. I would love being a medic too, especially since most people don't like to play them, so it's good to fulfill roles that nobody likes to play.

drummer93

I understand. Anyway I'm happy you consider add that classes in the future. Personally I love mortar-men too, is my favorite class in WWII Online. I am an artillery fan :p . I have some experience in C++ but sadly I never program for a game. Yesterday I was reading something about the classes involved but is a very new and big world for me. I will try to search the necessary documentation, maybe I can learn something in my free time, and in a very very very hypothetical situation I could program a mortar with a simple adjust system. I mean, it is just a tube and a grenade, how difficult can it be? </sarcasm>

Status
Not open for further replies.