• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Rome II: Total War

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBuG

Definitly not going to miss this game. The original Rome Total War was by far my favorite of the series so far. Shogun 2 was cool aswell but the units all look the same :p.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Completely agree about Shogun. I loved the changes they made to the gameplay and how everything seemed so polished but Shogun never really appealed to me as much as Rome, Medieval or Napoleon

VonMudra

I'm personally worried. Shogun 2 was far from my cup of tea, too much balance and similarity. I was building armies of nothing but yari ashigaru and samurai archers once I realized all other troops were worthless against a combo of those units....

I'm hoping Rome 2 will be good, I really am, but I keep getting these tinges of worry. War dogs in that video, roman troops forming squares against an infantry attack, the older Fall of Carthage trailer with roman troops just mob charging like barbarians, plus the idiotic "omaha beach saving private ryan" look of the whole thing. I'm really really hoping Rome 2 will be good, but...that doubt still lingers, especially after what I personally felt was a debacle of a game for Shogun 2.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
Hopefully someone would make a realism mod if that did happen - fingers crossed it isn't necessary though.

VonMudra

IIRC Europa Barbarorum has announced that, once EB2 is finished for Medieval Total War 2, they will transfer to Rome 2. So if it comes down to it, we WILL have probably the greatest total war mod ever to exist coming to Rome 2 soon.

volcol

Looking forwards to it, I loved the first Rome TW ... I just hope they make the damn thing playable. Graphics wise (and I have a decent PC) I've not been able to keep up with a TW game in years.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
For anyone who hasn't already got Rome: Total War (the original game) it is currently available on Steam for £1 (-86%). A brilliant game which is well worth getting if you think you have the skills to handle a full Roman Army in the field.

Link

Sir Apple

For anyone who hasn't already got Rome: Total War (the original game) it is currently available on Steam for £1 (-86%). A brilliant game which is well worth getting if you think you have the skills to handle a full Roman Army in the field.

Link

Holy hell! Thanks for the heads up - I purchased it :)

ScheifferB

I think the reason Rome I was so successful was because they had a lot to play around with. Many years later and they now have even more variety. Shogun 2 was a let down in my opinion, the only exciting feature I enjoyed in the game was the Multiplayer Campaigns, how you could share troops instead of going head to head.

My favorite has always been the medieval games, and I'm hoping eventually they work on Medieval 3. Rome II will be that game that suffices for another 5-10 years after it's release, just like it's original.

Troy

I'm not overly keen on the medieval games. Shogun 2 has some good features like the sword combat looking pretty awesome. But you can't beat a good game on Empire total war ;)

d3v

The best Total War experience you can have is to install the mod Deus Lo Vult over Medieval 2. Truly incredible on every level you could imagine.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
So now that Rome 2 is out what do people think? I know some people have been having graphical issues but so far I've been largely fine.

The one issue I did have is the stance of one of my armies at sea got stuck so I couldn't move it which left ~1500 men and a 3 star general floating around doing nothing.

The AI seems a little weak to me but I haven't cranked up the difficulty level much or tried out realism mode.

brrr

TW Developer
I'm really liking it thus far. Have had a few graphical issues, where by frame rate bobs up and down randomly - particularly on the campaign screen.

Yeah AI isn't too smart in the battles, but I found it to be challenging on the campaign map. I was also struggling with the insane amount of public order issues in my controlled settlements - building new structures or garrisoning units doesn't seem to have much effect at all - and all one can do is simply wait for a rebellion army to crop up to fight in a battle.

Visually its breathtaking, but my one issue is with the iconography in the campaign screen and the total war encyclopaedia. I can see what they were trying to do, with creating them in that old ancient style of image making almost like a mosiac - but as a result some of the icons are very difficult to decipher what they are, without hovering over and reading the additional information.

VonMudra

Already uninstalled, and desperately trying to get a refund from steam. Good riddance to this ****-fest.

Sir Apple

Because Mudra hates change :p

The game looks beautiful though, I may give it a go once I get the time (lol never).

Status
Not open for further replies.