• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Shooting from the vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esu21

We're talking about firing personal weapons from vehicles, so for example your K 98.

I know,I know. But I mean that (I think) it wasnt usual that in vehicles with mounted MGs infantry were also shooting rifles or SMG. Of course we should be able to shoot rifles at least in unarmored trucks,like in ArmA, or even tanks' backs. But please don't add grenade-launching from vehicles, Im also against it for the reasons mentioned before

Edit*: This is my post nº 100 :eek:

Aniallator

I know,I know. But I mean that (I think) it wasnt usual that in vehicles with mounted MGs infantry were also shooting rifles or SMG. Of course we should be able to shoot rifles at least in unarmored trucks,like in ArmA, or even tanks' backs. But please don't add grenade-launching from vehicles, Im also against it for the reasons mentioned before

Indeed it was not. I'm against any form of firing from vehicles, so that means rifle grenades as well. This is WW2, firing from vehicles just wasn't a thing.

Edit*: This is my post nº 100 :eek:

I will buy you a present ;)

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Indeed it was not. I'm against any form of firing from vehicles, so that means rifle grenades as well. This is WW2, firing from vehicles just wasn't a thing.

Of course it was a thing, but only from some specially made vehicles. For example IIRC the open topped Sdkfz APCs had some kinds of mounting brackets for the MP40 SMGs so they could be stabilized and fired from them with greather accuracy. Tanks often had pistol ports that could be used by the crew to fend off nearby infantry in emergencies. I'm sure Mudra could dig out a few more examples.

But yeah, "gangsta" drive-by's just weren't a thing except for those mobsters back in the USA.

I wouldn't mind the ability to fire small arms from a Jeep for example, but even then I would limit it to only firing from the back seat looking behind the vehicle. So you can still have those cool car chases if you fancy them, but they would be quite useless for anything else...

DerJoachim

Firing from vehicles is possible, of course, it's just not historically accurate for WW2. And I don't think driveby's were a "thing" xD

But thats not true, SAS and theyr other nation's counterparts (Brandenburgers , Italian X-MAS ) did amazing things with special forces raids mostly using fast vehicles , the SAS raids on Afrika Korps airfields are legendary and still studied today in Military Schools, and they did "driveby's" very effectively.

I just wrote the most extraordinary and blatant example of driveby's during WW2, but im pretty sure there are alot of cases with different units vehicles and scenarios during WW2.

Aniallator

But thats not true, SAS and theyr other nation's counterparts (Brandenburgers , Italian X-MAS ) did amazing things with special forces raids mostly using fast vehicles , the SAS raids on Afrika Korps airfields are legendary and still studied today in Military Schools, and they did "driveby's" very effectively.

I just wrote the most extraordinary and blatant example of driveby's during WW2, but im pretty sure there are alot of cases with different units vehicles and scenarios during WW2.

Well of course, the SAS is famous for it. You see all these photos, for example, of SAS Pink Panthers that have an M2 and twin Vickers Ks mounted and stuff. But TW won't feature the SAS, I don't think, so I'm talking about your average infantrymen.

@LuckyOne indeed tanks had firing ports, however if tanks are implemented as one-person vehicles, firing from these isn't feasible. I didn't know some Sdfkzs had MP 40 brackets, so thank you for that! Nonetheless, firing from vehicles encourages the wrong kind of gameplay IMO. If players can't shoot from the vehicle they're in, they're going to get out and engage properly.

DerJoachim

Well of course, the SAS is famous for it. You see all these photos, for example, of SAS Pink Panthers that have an M2 and twin Vickers Ks mounted and stuff. But TW won't feature the SAS, I don't think, so I'm talking about your average infantrymen.

@LuckyOne indeed tanks had firing ports, however if tanks are implemented as one-person vehicles, firing from these isn't feasible. I didn't know some Sdfkzs had MP 40 brackets, so thank you for that! Nonetheless, firing from vehicles encourages the wrong kind of gameplay IMO. If players can't shoot from the vehicle they're in, they're going to get out and engage properly.

I understand your point, but SAS or not SAS...doesnt matter, it is a videogame and players can improvise theyr "legendary" exploits...eve if theyr shoulder patches are different. ;)

You know i played Rugby for 4 years....the typical "pull your socks up" (a term used when you are getting your ass handed and you need a comeback) speech of my coach was " They are not better, they are just like you, two legs and two arms, now go down the field and eat them alive".

SAS are just like our videogame ragdol counterparts...they have two arms and two legs, just like "us", im pretty sure we can do the same driveby's :laugh:

Ofcourse that would require certain FPS skill and im pretty sure that would be really hard to hit other players, but even as a suppression fire that would do the trick, plus i think it is still fun and "cinematic" for both opponents.

Aniallator

I understand your point, but SAS or not SAS...doesnt matter, it is a videogame and players can improvise theyr "legendary" exploits...eve if theyr shoulder patches are different. ;)

You know i played Rugby for 4 years....the typical "pull your socks up" (a term used when you are getting your ass handed and you need a comeback) speech of my coach was " They are not better, they are just like you, two legs and two arms, now go down the field and eat them alive".

SAS are just like our videogame ragdol counterparts...they have two arms and two legs, just like "us", im pretty sure we can do the same driveby's :laugh:

Ofcourse that would require certain FPS skill and im pretty sure that would be really hard to hit other players, but even as a suppression fire that would do the trick, plus i think it is still fun and "cinematic" for both opponents.

I played rugby for a year, and I must say I didn't get that pep talk... my team just charged across the pitch screaming "For Narnia!" :laugh:

In the end, I don't mind if firing from vehicles is implemented in a very limited way; so for example, you can use your weapon when seated in the passenger seat of a jeep/Kübelwagen. However, I maintain that it'd be a "meh" feature for me, and it encourages the wrong kind of gameplay. If we can shoot from a halftrack, for example, what's to stop people pulling the halftrack into the cap zone, then sitting in there and mowing down any enemies that near? I don't think something should be implemented in TW because cinematically it "looks cool" ;)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
what's to stop people pulling the halftrack into the cap zone, then sitting in there and mowing down any enemies that near?

Anyone who tries that near my section will find out why it's a really really bad idea to make yourself a sitting duck inside a tin box... ;) Two options 1) wait for the AT or 2) try and dismount under fire.

I'm partly joking of course but I've always been of a view that transports are for just that. As a rule I think infantry is better off dismounting before making contact. When vehicles are added though we can test that theory out ;)

FlyingR

I'm partly joking of course but I've always been of a view that transports are for just that. As a rule I think infantry is better off dismounting before making contact. When vehicles are added though we can test that theory out ;)

Oh yeah... Dismount quite far... Do not let the enemy hear you if you want surprise.

The only reason I would do drive-bys is to disorganize and confuse the enemy and/or to suppress.

I'm assuming that if you get off at high speed in TW out of a moving vehicle you will get hurt... Therefore if you're going to rush for quick flag cap, you should stop or nearly stop the vehicle.

Aniallator

Anyone who tries that near my section will find out why it's a really really bad idea to make yourself a sitting duck inside a tin box... ;) Two options 1) wait for the AT or 2) try and dismount under fire.

I can see the VC citation already...

"General Naga, with no regard to his own life, fired his Enfield rifle at a German Sdkfz 251, instantly destroying it; General Naga, despite having sustained wounds from enemy fire from within the vehicle, then proceeded to teabag the smouldering German corpses..."

Naga FTW ;) Don't worry General, if I encounter you on the battlefield, I'll be the one shitting my pants for the Fatherland!

Oh yeah... Dismount quite far... Do not let the enemy hear you if you want surprise.

The only reason I would do drive-bys is to disorganize and confuse the enemy and/or to suppress.

I'm assuming that if you get off at high speed in TW out of a moving vehicle you will get hurt... Therefore if you're going to rush for quick flag cap, you should stop or nearly stop the vehicle.
how about ram it in the command point :D seriously there should also be an option to let the driver choose if he will allow them to fire or not and a option to tell the driver to stop the car

FlyingR

how about ram it in the command point :D seriously there should also be an option to let the driver choose if he will allow them to fire or not and a option to tell the driver to stop the car

Yeah, it's called VOIP. The driver/sqd leader should give the engagement rules before setting off to the objective.

Pjosip

Vanguard Backer
A combination of added visible sway/shaking while aiming from inside a vehicle, a wee bit more recoil and increased (invisilbe) inprecision can do wonders for balance.

[1CH] John

A combination of added visible sway/shaking while aiming from inside a vehicle, a wee bit more recoil and increased (invisilbe) inprecision can do wonders for balance.

I personally like this idea alot. It allows people to shoot from vehicles, but without the unbalanced gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.