• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

Size Map?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniche

Level Designer
Pathfinder Games
You'd be able to see a wide variety of maps, both in terms of the general map-size as well as the design.

Because of this it's hard to tell how big a "specific" map would be, as they could range from small-quarter battles to immense battlefields.

Maniche

Personally, with more than 12 people on a server I prefer large maps with FH2 style position, but it is true that when we are not many small cars are better cards and always with an aim to foster Thurs

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I think something may have been lost in translation there but your doing better than I can in French!

Personally I've always thought that there is a place in any game for both types of map - large open battles with big sweeping moves as well as the tight intensity & rapid pace of the smaller maps.

Sir Apple

To be honest I am more of a 24-64 persons in server type of player. Though I must admit, 64 players can be to much for me as well. It really depends, and of course I'm speaking in terms of Battlefield 2 and more specifically Forgotten Hope 2, as when I have free gaming time I normally choose Fh2.

I'm not a fan of very heavily populated games only because it gets so polluted and takes the fun out of it for me. :)

Sir Apple

lol yea - I'm not hating on it, I mean I think it is cool that it is being done. Its just I am not a fan of so many people :D

Kildar

lol yea - I'm not hating on it, I mean I think it is cool that it is being done. Its just I am not a fan of so many people :D

It comes down to map optimization. Pub servers are chaos regardless of player number, I don't think you would notice a difference if there where maps built to handle 64 on 64 . You notice it more, because there aren't enough transports, special weapons, and tanks to take advantage of the number and it is detrimental when half the team is reduced to running between flags with only no4's and K98s.

Sir Apple

Yeah true ^^

It seems conceptually though, Bf2 is geared for 64, regardless of the 126 player capability. Often times when I'm playing, say, Fh2, I find myself in a great squad and there is nice firefights etc. Even with 64 players I've found there to be quite a nice gaming experience. But 126 IMO isn't very fun, its just to cluttered and its hard for me to have fun when I'm constantly bumping shoulders with the guy next to me :D

Just my opinion though - I can see where it could be useful as well, its just not my slice of pie ;)

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I agree that 128 can be just too much but one thing it does have is that sense of scale - everything feels like a major battle instead of a minor skirmish. I still prefer 64 or even 32 though provided the map doesn't force everyone to space out too much.

Kildar

I wish more studios would attempt to explore it, the only studio to give it ago was Zipper[who did SOCOM] with Mag on the Ps3, and a ps3 doesn't compare in the shooter department to a good ole PC

edit: I can't believe you don't have the :smug: smilie

edit2: woohoo third post now, I can do cool things!

Last edited:

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
I'm just grateful that BF3 is going back to 64 players after BFBC1/2 - I had a horrible feeling we'd seen the end of 64 player games.

edit: I can't believe you don't have the :smug: smilie

What us missing the smug smiley? Never! *looks innocent*

fastArms

If it was up2 me I would aim for both types of maps.
Sort of like what COD:United Offense had where they had the massive maps that were like battlefield with tanks and all that stuff but at the same time they had the classic style maps that we see in cod/mohaa & cs size and gameplay. The smaller maps will also attract competitive gamers/ gaming which would also be a + for the game.

Me to take personal leave an idea for a game like COD, I will see the map "Foy" with power to hold position, and a card with a slightly larger piece of forest or BUD allies start and continue map after the river with building and the countryside?

hannibaldinski

TW Developer
Oeh, COD:United Offense. Thats a long long time ago. I forgot how much fun that game was. Really liked the COD gameplay on big maps with tanks.

Those good old times. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.