• Welcome to the Vanguard Community

These forums date back to the game's origins as the Crysis mod Traction Wars. Over the years the game and internet habits have evolved and discord.gg/vanguardww2 is now the principle home of the community.

The team continue to read and reply to posts here, but we can be contacted more quickly on Discord.

State of the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
In our last update we talked about the continuing development of our internal build 'Overlord-lite' and the process of refinement we are currently going through. Development over the past couple of months has continued at an accelerated rate. The team have been focused on both refining the existing gameplay, along with properly implementing some of the remaining features and ironing out the inevitable bugs this creates.

One of the key features we have been implementing recently is squad rally points - a feature we know the community has long requested. We are still refining the way rally points work in the game and we are yet to implement mechanisms to prevent players from abusing rally points.
For those not familiar with rally points, they are placed by a squad leader to provide a forward spawn location for the squad. If a rally point has been deployed squad members can then select their squad’s rally point from the spawn screen, just like regular spawn points. Rally points can also be destroyed by the enemy if discovered.

We have also been working on improving player identification; something we discussed in the previous 'State of the Game' update. We have been experimenting with options and have currently settled on a solution which we feel strikes a good balance between realism, immersion and playability. We will be releasing a Dev Blog to discuss this in more detail next week.

Our efforts to ensure the game is well balanced continue. We have been refining weapon characteristics to ensure they are both fun to use but not frustrating to play against. In addition to these tweaks the level designers are pushing forward with their work on our currently unannounced fourth map. We are not yet ready to reveal the operation this features, but rest assured we are working on more than just Pegasus and Merville Battery, the two environments most frequently shown in our previous updates.

At the present time we are continuing to work with CRYENGINE 5.2 in order to avoid disrupting our current momentum, although the public roadmap for CRYENGINE 5.4 does offer us some important optimisation improvements which we look forward to incorporating into the game in due course.

Next month many of the team will be getting together in the UK for a three-day development conference. We have become very good as a team at working remotely in different countries, but these larger meet-ups are an invaluable opportunity for the team to get around a table, work through ideas and plan the development of the game to release and beyond. This time we're not going to TankFest!

That’s all for this update. Next week we will be publishing an update on how we have addressed the issues of enemy identification. Until then please visit our forums and our official discord channel and follow us on the social networks below.

Last edited:

FlyingR

The suppression is outstanding, I love it!

Out of curiosity, are the bullet sparks realistic? Like do they spark that much in real life? Does it happen with every shot that hits a metallic surface?

The game looks incredible, for real, especially the night version.

I would really like to see how grenade explosions look like! :D

Edit:
Calgoblin confirmed that the sparks are not final :D

Last edited:

Esu21

My God! Night battle keep looking gorgeous!!! Loving how amazingly set the lighting is. Keep the good work!

Flare

Vanguard Backer
Looks awesome!

The Sten looks great, and I'm glad you guys listened to by suggestion and slowed down the time for ADS! The firing animations look much improved since the last update, I love the shaky sights. If I had to nitpick, I'd say the transition between the running and walking animation for the Sten could use some work, and the actual walking and running animations for the sten could have a bit more movement. I also think the muzzle flashes could be more prominent in the night battles.

I would also add some darkening of the screen on the edges and some extra shake in the suppression (which looks great already) for maximum PTSD!

I love the progress so far. Keep it up, and I can't wait to play.

Some rifle gameplay next update? With some explosion effects? (Hopefully they will look as good as the Squad explosions which are fantastic.)

Aniallator

OMG!! Looks gorgeous you guys :D And as [MENTION=4097]Flare[/MENTION] said, I love seeing how things have changed since some of the previous GIFs! Stoked to see rally points, looks great, and the lighting is absolutely stunning! Also loving the suppression, the MG34 is going to be a beast! Would kill to see some bolt-action rifle GIFs, and when it's more finalized, some sweet, sweet sounds :D

LuckyOne

Vanguard Friend
Holy ****, the suppression effect is amazing! It really feels like being scared to death, can't wait to hear what the chaos unfolding around you sounds like. :)

It really shows that TW is a work of passion. I mean, just compare this to those awful COD WW 2 gameplay videos...

I also wonder how the Rally point system will play out, and if your guys plan to simulate "being overrun". As we all know players are stubborn creatures and they will keep spawning even if it means just getting mowed down by MG fire, on the off chance of getting to the action faster. Maybe leave the choice on SL? Sort of like the "retreat" button in COH ?

Aniallator

I also wonder how the Rally point system will play out, and if your guys plan to simulate "being overrun". As we all know players are stubborn creatures and they will keep spawning even if it means just getting mowed down by MG fire, on the off chance of getting to the action faster. Maybe leave the choice on SL? Sort of like the "retreat" button in COH ?

Hopefully rallies have a limited number of spawns available (as in Squad, where they have nine spawns), necessitating spawn discipline and individual awareness, for example notifying the SL when they are only 2-3 spawns left so that he can place a new rally.

Last edited:

yrumad11

Vanguard Backer
A spawn system where the player can decide where they spawn without having to walk 5 miles to a capture point while being spawn killed by bush fairies? *Dies and goes to heaven.*

Flare

Vanguard Backer
One thing that should be in the game is a rally "safe spawn" system, so you can't spawn on it if there is an enemy within, say, 15m.

That avoids awful spawn-killing that is often seen in Squad.

FlyingR

One thing that should be in the game is a rally "safe spawn" system, so you can't spawn on it if there is an enemy within, say, 15m.

That avoids awful spawn-killing that is often seen in Squad.

See, I was going to suggest that, because that's how it works in PR. You can't deploy it either if there are contacts around. The thing is that for small maps or for all maps overall, this can be used to see if there are enemies around which could be considered an exploit so to speak.

A solution to this could be to make it timed, so you're allowed to drop a rally for a certain amount of time. For example drop a rally after 5 minutes and it lasts like 3-5 minutes.

Or maybe make it so you can only drop a rally point "x" meters away from flags which you can integrate it with the above idea too. Let's say rallies are only allowed to be placed 30 meters away from each flag and you can only drop it after 5 minutes and it lasts like 3-5 minutes.

If they do implement like in Squad, and there is spawn-killing, then use common sense and don't spawn there, regroup somewhere else!

Aniallator

Squad has a good system, and I'd love to see it in TW, perhaps with a few adjustments. In Squad, you can only place a new rally every three minutes, and you cannot place a rally within fifty meters of enemies; if you try to the rally will not appear, but the rally timer will start as if you had placed one, meaning it really can't be used as an exploit - it's far more detrimental than helpful. If enemies come within about ten meters of a rally, it disappears.

I'm not sure how I feel about not being able to spawn on a rally if enemies are close. It certainly isn't a problem in Squad, as if someone is spawnkilled on a rally they're usually quick to inform the rest of the squad that "Rally is hot." Furthermore, most enemies are sensible enough to simply remove rallies rather than try to camp them, and when a rally is camped it's often from an enemy some ways away who's camping it simply because he's not close enough to remove it.

General Naga

Director/Founder
Pathfinder Games
A spawn system where the player can decide where they spawn without having to walk 5 miles to a capture point while being spawn killed by bush fairies? *Dies and goes to heaven.*

^ This exact issue is what I'm allergic to. If I wanted to go for a long walk I'd be outside in the fresh air.

Not an easy thing to achieve for a realism game but we're determined to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FlyingR

^ This exact issue is what I'm allergic to. If I wanted to go for a long walk I'd be outside in the fresh air.

Not an easy thing to achieve for a realism game but we're determined to make it work.

You will definitely not enjoy my Recon and/or Uber 1337 Flanking Squad then!

Zainab

Wow , beyond incredible! :D
About rally point , can they be put at any places or specified places?

Status
Not open for further replies.